What's the longest you have gone without....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beanbean

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone beat this record? 18 years and I have never had to 4pt restraint a patient. Had one guy who we restrained his legs sohe wouldn't run, but I have never had to tie somebody completely down. BTW, I am not counting residents from the local prison - no choice there - the COs make sure they are all shackled even if they are coded.

I have also never applied a hare traction splint in those ssame 18yrs. The one old lady I had with a femur fx also had knee and hip involvment so it was contraindicated.

No babies delivered yet either - just my own three in the hospital. :D

Members don't see this ad.

No problem - you're safe. He's in Japan until tomorrow. Studying for exams with 3 kids under the age of 7 as a single mom for the last week while he has been jetting around Korea and Japan has really sucked. My little guy who turned 9 mos yesterday got his very first ear infection on Thursday night - what fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
Transferred a 15 year old boy to home that was beaten with a baseball bat 4 weeks ago. Had to fully restrain him, he has a lot of brain damage and just flopped and rolled around moaning incoherently. Mom had us lay him on the living room floor so he could have a bit of freedom before she had to tie him up again. Other then that its just been to keep people from yankin stuff out.

Ed

In 7 years i used the hare traction at least 10 times........worked great every time.

also had the displeasure of four point restraints maybe 2 or 3.

can't believe in 18 years you haven't done those things? wow.......that's all right. i never got to needle a chest.

later

yep, you have me beat as well. It seems I use the Hare at least annually and have to restrain about once a month. Also I have been at a few hatchings. Count yourself as lucky.

It is wierd - my husband has been in volunteer EMS for 17 yrs and can't count the times he has had to restrain people. He seems to attract calls where the police are PCing someone who really DOESN"T want to go to the hospital and becomes quite violent.

The only fx femur pts I have had besides the little old lady mentioned above have been DOA on scene of a MVA or motorcycle accident.

Wow. I honestly couldn't tell you the number of times I've used the 4 point restraints. They're vital equipment for me. :D

Deliveries in the field? Ehh. My old partner and I were notorious for bad OB calls. Miscarriages, preemies, breech. You name it, we had it. We cringed everytime we were called for one in labor. :(

beanbean said:
Can anyone beat this record? 18 years and I have never had to 4pt restraint a patient. Had one guy who we restrained his legs sohe wouldn't run, but I have never had to tie somebody completely down. BTW, I am not counting residents from the local prison - no choice there - the COs make sure they are all shackled even if they are coded.

I have also never applied a hare traction splint in those ssame 18yrs. The one old lady I had with a femur fx also had knee and hip involvment so it was contraindicated.

I've restrained patients 3 or 4 times, and I have used a traction splint once. I did 4 years of EMS in Dallas. On a side-note --> I was 4 years old 18 years ago.

I did it twice last week...

9 active years in EMS (urban, suburban, rural) - no 4-point restraints (had a coworker who said, with a straight face, that it was only luck that I've never had to assault a patient with the clipboard, make the "top-deck sandwich" (patient wrapped in sheet, strapped to the collapsible stretcher, and placed face down on the stretcher), or 4-point restraint - all of which he had done), no deliveries (had one pt. that my partner was walking slowly, saying, "she's gonna deliver", and I told him to move his ass - we got to the hospital, woman gets on the bed in L&D, pushes once, and the kid is out; partner asks, "How did you get her not to deliver?", and my response - "I WILLED her not to have it"), and never needled a patient (ironically, first time was as an EM resident). Had 5 prehospital saves (one trauma - who, 7 years later (last summer) got shot and killed - AGAIN), discharged intact from hospital.

One patient whom the volleys put a Sager splint on (old guy that had fallen off a roof he was working on, open distal femure fracture, sticking into ground - they unplanted/uprooted him, my partner knocked some of the mud and grass off, and they (the volunteers (East Amherst, if anyone is interested) put the splint on - guy later got septic and died); otherwise, no traction splints either.

^
Didn't you tell the last story once before already? Its late and I don't want to search too much, but I remember reading that story once.

Siggy said:
^
Didn't you tell the last story once before already? Its late and I don't want to search too much, but I remember reading that story once.

About the guy stuck in the ground? Yeah, but, everything old is new again!

It fit the thread. And, it appears it was dynamic enough to stick in your bean!

beanbean said:

Haha, we carry Haldol for the wiley ones, that usually calms them down enough to use only arm restraints.

I have used traction splints for femur Fx, and BTW, all the morphine in the world does not help the screams while applying it.