How long will the entire EMT-A Route Take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

How long will the entire paramedic route take?

I do not plan on taking any form of accelerated learning because I believe every minute is important.

EMT-B (3 months)?
EMT-I (6 months)?
EMT-A (15 months?

I'm also looking for a potential mentor who is a paramedic or EMT that I could ask questions about that field?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The amount of time each certification will take you varies by a large degree. It depends on whether or not you're going to a community college, fire academy, or technical school. I'll give you examples for my area. I completed EMT in one college semester, but the school recently split the course into two semesters. Most EMT-I courses in the MD are are 12 months long after EMT. A paramedic associates degree could take five semesters to complete but a certificate program might be just 12 months.

I also think you are getting your phrasing wrong. EMT-A is not a paramedic, it's closer to what an EMT-I is: an EMT with additional ALS training. In some states an EMT-A/I is an EMT who can maybe place an invasive airway, but their pharmacology/pathophysiology knowledge is still that of an EMT. On the other end of the spectrum in my state an EMT-I's education is probably 80% of what paramedics get, and they provide the majority of the ALS care in Baltimore City which is a very demanding enviroment.

What are your goals for EMS?

Here in NYS, EMT-Is are mostly EMS veterans who have not had to switch to either EMT-B or EMT-P in their area yet or are college students who don't have nearly enough time to dedicate to the paramedic course. I've been an EMT-B for 3 years now and honestly, I would recommend that if you're going to make EMS a career, skip over the intermediate level and go straight for your paramedic cert. If this is going to be a temporary thing before you go into a high level of medical care or if it's just a going to a hobby on the side, I'd recommend just sticking with becoming an EMT-B then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here in NYS, EMT-Is are mostly EMS veterans who have not had to switch to either EMT-B or EMT-P in their area yet or are college students who don't have nearly enough time to dedicate to the paramedic course. I've been an EMT-B for 3 years now and honestly, I would recommend that if you're going to make EMS a career, skip over the intermediate level and go straight for your paramedic cert. If this is going to be a temporary thing before you go into a high level of medical care or if it's just a going to a hobby on the side, I'd recommend just sticking with becoming an EMT-B then.
Good to know, thank you.

The amount of time each certification will take you varies by a large degree. It depends on whether or not you're going to a community college, fire academy, or technical school. I'll give you examples for my area. I completed EMT in one college semester, but the school recently split the course into two semesters. Most EMT-I courses in the MD are are 12 months long after EMT. A paramedic associates degree could take five semesters to complete but a certificate program might be just 12 months.

I also think you are getting your phrasing wrong. EMT-A is not a paramedic, it's closer to what an EMT-I is: an EMT with additional ALS training. In some states an EMT-A/I is an EMT who can maybe place an invasive airway, but their pharmacology/pathophysiology knowledge is still that of an EMT. On the other end of the spectrum in my state an EMT-I's education is probably 80% of what paramedics get, and they provide the majority of the ALS care in Baltimore City which is a very demanding enviroment.

What are your goals for EMS?
It's still what I am trying to decide.