How late is too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JABWS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always been intrigued by neurosurgery, but to be honest, it seems like an impossibility; something so far out of reach I feel ridiculous for even thinking about it.

I'm currently finishing up my first year of medical school, and I'm wondering how late is too late to decide on a career in neurosurgery. If my grades and step score are up to par, is neurosurgery something I can choose as a third year, without any substantial research experience and/or prior commitments demonstrating my interest in the field?

Obviously I could take steps to bolster my app during third year, but there's only so much you can do in a year.

Members don't see this ad.

By no means is it too late.
The key for you is to do well on Step1, first and foremost.

Also, you should try to get contact with the department, even if its just to shadow/ do a small research project. Having these people know you when you apply for your Sub-Internships will get you into SubIs and get letters.

Outside of this, just do well and keep working hard.

Thanks for the response. Neurosurgery just scares me a little bit because it seems like one of those specialties that many people dream about doing for a very long time, similar to something like orthopedic surgery. Therefore I would assume a lot of the applicants have devoted a substantial amount of time to related research, shadowing experience etc..

In contrast, there are other surgical subspecialties that are probably more accustomed to late interest entrance, like ENT or urology.

Members don't see this ad :)
not too late at all. right now the only thing you should care about is trying to blow step 1 out of the water, see my prior posts for my thoughts on how to do this. getting involved in some nsg research this summer would also be a good idea. you don't need to have started down the nsg path earlier than 3rd year to match. you do need a good step 1 score and research(any research is fine but nsg research and/or basic science publications are better) along with good performance during your nsg sub-is at the beginning of fourth year to have a great chance of matching though it is definitely possible to match without some of those things. good luck.

not too late at all. right now the only thing you should care about is trying to blow step 1 out of the water, see my prior posts for my thoughts on how to do this. getting involved in some nsg research this summer would also be a good idea. you don't need to have started down the nsg path earlier than 3rd year to match. you do need a good step 1 score and research(any research is fine but nsg research and/or basic science publications are better) along with good performance during your nsg sub-is at the beginning of fourth year to have a great chance of matching though it is definitely possible to match without some of those things. good luck.

Thanks for the response! I have two research projects ongoing at the moment, but they're not neurosurgery related, so it would be hard for me to do neurosurgery research this summer.

Also, my school is graded and ranked, so it'd be nearly impossible for me to stick with a Step studying schedule like the one you outlined without taking a hit in class rank. I'm definitely going to try to incorporate some GT and Q banks during second year, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I think my top priority should be doing well in classes. My school does have a reputation for preparing students well for Step 1 (our class average is ~235), so hopefully I'll still be able to rock it without all of the extra prep during the year.

Thanks for the response! I have two research projects ongoing at the moment, but they're not neurosurgery related, so it would be hard for me to do neurosurgery research this summer.

Also, my school is graded and ranked, so it'd be nearly impossible for me to stick with a Step studying schedule like the one you outlined without taking a hit in class rank. I'm definitely going to try to incorporate some GT and Q banks during second year, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I think my top priority should be doing well in classes. My school does have a reputation for preparing students well for Step 1 (our class average is ~235), so hopefully I'll still be able to rock it without all of the extra prep during the year.

don't see why you couldnt pick up a neurosurgery chart review or case report type project on top of your other stuff over the summer. It is much easier to do it then and not during third/fourth year which is what i had to do.

i think that your step 1 score will probably matter a lot more than your pre-clinical grades (assuming you don't fail anything) and if it were me that would be my focus, but never had to deal with preclinical grades.

Agree with Encephalectomy, Step 1 is by far and away more important than preclinical grades, assuming your preclinical grades dont stick out for the wrong reasons.