ns for a late bloomer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RabbiDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just beginning the process of pre reqs (before med school) and wanting to become a neurosurgeon (Problem is that im already 35!)

do they give the coveted ns residencies to us old people?

Members don't see this ad.

it's against the law to discriminate on the basis of age.

i know that doesn't help, but at least, technically, the law's on your side.

If you'll be applying to neurosurgery residency at age > 40, you will likely get some some rejections just because of your age, ilegal or otherwise. I am certain age was a factor when I applied (I was 35 at the time). This shouldn't disuade you if you're certain this is what you want to do. Be sure at your age you really have a good idea of what you're getting yourself into. Your best bet while in medical school will be to cozy up to your neurosurgery department at the medical school and convince them that although your 40+ years old you can still work like a 20-year old and your maturity will be an asset to the department. It will be much harder to convince people of this at a short interview.

just beginning the process of pre reqs (before med school) and wanting to become a neurosurgeon (Problem is that im already 35!)

do they give the coveted ns residencies to us old people?

I wouldnt discorage you but think about it.. Coming to hospital at 5:00 am in the morning, staying until 7:00 pm and being Q4 for 7 years is perhaps not the cup of tea for a man in his 40s. The lifestyle doesnt get any easier after the training ends..

GL