How late is late to choose ortho surg?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrueAntagonist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a newly minted MS3. I've recently had exposure to ortho surgery and have unexpectedly become very, very interested in it.

It wasn't even a blimp on my radar till a few weeks ago and, of course, I haven't done an ounce of research in M1/M2. I understand I have over a year to build contacts, do research, etc etc but what's the absolute latest I can decide on ortho? I'm still considering Urology and IR (all very different specialties with the only commonality being that they're procedural).

The other issue is that I feel like most of the ortho kids in my class have known they want to do ortho since their junior of high school. They have a 2 year headstart on research, contact-making, etc etc. I know it's an insecurity (baseless, perhaps) but I feel like I'm way late to jump on the bandwagon. So again, how late can I make a final decision and still have a solid shot at matching?

I got a 255+ on step 1 but didn't do great in M1/M2 (right at the class average). Anyway, I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere. Any advice from anyone is welcome and appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow, you and I are in a very similar position. Well, maybe not my interest in IR and I have a tad bit of research. I am sorry I cannot answer your question but I wanted to post and let anyone willing to help that you would be hooking me up as well. Thanks!

have you done uro or IR research during m1/m2?

it's not about how late you can decide. you need to be doing reserach soon, either in ortho or uro or both. with your step score, you've already got the most important part to matching ortho. the second most important thing is third year grades, particularly IM and surg. you may be in trouble with AOA because of your m1/m2 performance, but even if so, you still have control over your 3rd year grades.

it's definitely possible to do research while on rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would email your program director and specifically ask for the contact information of a prolific publisher in the department. Follow up the email, get to know that individual and stress that you want to help with the project(s).

You'll be able to participate in a couple of projects while on rotation, just understand you'll make sacrifices to do so. Research mentors will help you get a few pubs, bolster your networking and get you a strong letter of recommendation.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about anything - you're in a pretty good position as it is. Remember, that the crap people post on here is a VERY small sample size. Same goes for Orthogate.

The first thing is to get some real life exposure to the fields you're interested in, make a decision, and don't look back because all three of those fields are highly competitive and you need to spend the next two years going balls to the wall in one direction or the other. My advice would be call up one of the residents in each of those specialties and ask to spend a weekend on call with them. See what you like and what you don't like and pick their brains about their specialty. They'll respect you taking the time to check them out and it'll give you some face recognition.

I think research is probably a little overrated in ortho unless you really want to be at an academic-based program. I think if you've done research at all it looks good. Ortho research is just icing on the cake but probably not a requirement. Most of us don't like it and see it as a requirement as opposed to an opportunity. But, that may be my attitude coming from a community-based program. That brings me to my next point. If you decide to commit to ortho, the first big decision is what type of program - academic or community based. An academic program will be more research focused and will set you up to practice in an academic setting. A community based program will offer you a better operative experience with the intent of sending you into the community as a private physician. Of course, there is some overlap and you should learn about each program you're interested in.

You go to a great med school, you have great step 1 scores, and your first two years don't really matter. Kill your clerkships because how well you work with other services says a lot about you. Do well on Step 2 and be prepared to work your tail off on 4th year elective rotations. Don't get too worked up over ortho-specific research (especially to the detriment of your academics) and don't get too worked up over AOA -those things are just icing on the cake.

Good luck!

:thumbup: very good advice

No real set "time" on when you have to decide. Obviously, before start of 4th year is mandatory, but for some their desire is during their third year. If you are a DO student, your auditions >scores>> research. If allopathic there is more weight to research (correct me if I'm wrong), but not mandatory. Research as GADoc mentioned is good but shouldn't prevent you from matching if you are well rounded in other areas.
I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about anything - you're in a pretty good position as it is. Remember, that the crap people post on here is a VERY small sample size. Same goes for Orthogate.

The first thing is to get some real life exposure to the fields you're interested in, make a decision, and don't look back because all three of those fields are highly competitive and you need to spend the next two years going balls to the wall in one direction or the other. My advice would be call up one of the residents in each of those specialties and ask to spend a weekend on call with them. See what you like and what you don't like and pick their brains about their specialty. They'll respect you taking the time to check them out and it'll give you some face recognition.

I think research is probably a little overrated in ortho unless you really want to be at an academic-based program. I think if you've done research at all it looks good. Ortho research is just icing on the cake but probably not a requirement. Most of us don't like it and see it as a requirement as opposed to an opportunity. But, that may be my attitude coming from a community-based program. That brings me to my next point. If you decide to commit to ortho, the first big decision is what type of program - academic or community based. An academic program will be more research focused and will set you up to practice in an academic setting. A community based program will offer you a better operative experience with the intent of sending you into the community as a private physician. Of course, there is some overlap and you should learn about each program you're interested in.

You go to a great med school, you have great step 1 scores, and your first two years don't really matter. Kill your clerkships because how well you work with other services says a lot about you. Do well on Step 2 and be prepared to work your tail off on 4th year elective rotations. Don't get too worked up over ortho-specific research (especially to the detriment of your academics) and don't get too worked up over AOA -those things are just icing on the cake.

Good luck!