How is integrated plastics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samsoccer7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Integrated plastics.... what sort of #'s are we lookin' at, what are some good programs, and what is the lifestyle like of a plastics guy?

And by plastics, I'm basically referring to cosmetics and that kinda stuff, like you see on TV. It seems like easy hours, no call, etc, etc. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by samsoccer7
Integrated plastics.... what sort of #'s are we lookin' at, what are some good programs, and what is the lifestyle like of a plastics guy?

And by plastics, I'm basically referring to cosmetics and that kinda stuff, like you see on TV. It seems like easy hours, no call, etc, etc. What do you guys think?

The conventional wisdom is that to obtain an Integrated Plastics spot you must be "AOA, USMLE Step 1 > 230, etc." - obviously not hard and fast rules, but these applicants tend to be amongst the best and brightest (or at least hardest working) of medical students.

A search in this forum will yield a long thread in which the various programs are discussed.

Despite what you see on tv, aesthetic surgeons still have to take call - even those in academic environments. The lifestyle does tend to be better than a reconstructive PRS guy, with mostly elective cases on healthy individuals. However, aesthetic patients have complications, will call after hours with questions, etc. Speaking from experience (some research I did at Baylor with Dr. Shenaq) - the aesthetic patients are some of the most neurotic, personality disordered group out there. You WILL get lots of out of office hours calls.