How hard can it really be to bend a wire? Dental Assistants do it.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeebbie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
knowing when and where to bend a wire takes knowledge and experience.

Like all things, orthodontics is more complicated than it seems when viewed superficially.

FYI - orthodontists don't draw lines on the original xray, but on tracing paper that they lay over the xray.

A man was suffering a persistent problem with his house. The floor squeaked. No matter what he tried or who he hired, nothing worked. Finally, he called a carpenter who friends said was a true craftsmen. The craftsmen walked into the room, and heard the squeak. He set down his toolbox, pulled out a hammer and a single nail, and pounded the nail into the floor with three blows. The squeak was gone forever. The carpenter pulled out an invoice, on which he wrote the total of $50. Above the total were two line items:

Hammering , $2
Knowing where to hammer, $48

Members don't see this ad :)
At least with your basic sciences, rxns tie into each other and have meaning... I mean off course the form of the tooth gives it the function, but i can't seem to spark any type of intellectual enthusiasm for this.

i hope it gets better or i am gonna be pretty miserable when we switch too a full schedule of dental classes

Dental school is all about memorization. Don't try to look for meaning in what they teach you, you'll just end up wasting precious time. Just memorize the powerpoints and spit them back out on the exams. When you get to clinic, you can look for meaning and interdisciplinary approaches to problems. To be the "best dentist" you just have to remember those little rules from kindergarten - "Be nice, be honest, always do the right thing and fess up when you've done something wrong."

I wouldn't worry about this too much. Even though dentistry is a specialty of medicine, within dentistry there is a very broad scope of specialties. If you don't end up liking any of the "traditional" specialties (ortho/OMFS/prosth/endo/pedo/perio), you can go into radiology, pathology, dental anesthesiology, TMD/pain, law (requires an additional degree), research, teaching... the list goes on and on....

i am not even sure if dentistry is right for me. I am a first year student. And at least I have the guts to admit this.