How friendly is GI to women physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tejumed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am interested in GI, however, I am a little apprehensive about the lifestyle in the long run. I dont mind working hard during the three years of the fellowship but when I eventually have kids after that, I am concerned if I will be able to take time out for my family. I ve heard people opting for private practice and working 4/5 days and was wondering how busy it usually is and how frequently you are on call, and how many times in a month do you actually end up going to the hospital at night when on call...

thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am interested in GI, however, I am a little apprehensive about the lifestyle in the long run. I dont mind working hard during the three years of the fellowship but when I eventually have kids after that, I am concerned if I will be able to take time out for my family. I ve heard people opting for private practice and working 4/5 days and was wondering how busy it usually is and how frequently you are on call, and how many times in a month do you actually end up going to the hospital at night when on call...

thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

This is totally practice dependent. Most of the women I know have found jobs that provide the flexibility they need. The one caveat is that there is so much functional disease in GI and the female physicians get crushed by it. Our stereotypical new consult 28 yo female IBS, fibromyalgia, chronic pelvic pain patient often asks to see my female parter (sweet for me, bad for her).

You can tailor your practice a bit (avoid advanced endoscopy or transplant) to make your hours more predictable.