How does "that person" always get 100% on tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm one of the 100%ers. I'm graduating #1 in my class. I had a life all through med school. Worked out every single day, got married, played tons of video games, and studied consistently. No drugs either.

Make a schedule, find out what works for you, and dominate. What worked for me is going through everything really slow, reading it out loud to myself, and never moving on unless I understood everything. Never did a second pass because I timed my studying to finish the first run through the night before the exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm one of the 100%ers. I'm graduating #1 in my class. I had a life all through med school. Worked out every single day, got married, played tons of video games, and studied consistently. No drugs either.

Make a schedule, find out what works for you, and dominate. What worked for me is going through everything really slow, reading it out loud to myself, and never moving on unless I understood everything. Never did a second pass because I timed my studying to finish the first run through the night before the exam.

You must have a very gifted memory/mind. The vast majority of people can't remember things long term after just seeing it on one occasion, no matter how well they understood it at that time. Long term retention is all about repetition for most people.

So congrats to you, that's truly awesome. But I would not recommend this strategy to anyone else, as it is not how the average (or even above average) medical student is built.

Reactions: 5 users

I cannot fathom recalling the lymphatic drainage of every part of every organ in the abdominal and pelvic cavities after one pass. You are a lucky guy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot fathom recalling the lymphatic drainage of every part of every organ in the abdominal and pelvic cavities after one pass. You are a lucky guy.
You don't have to fathom anything. There are more people graduating at the top of their class on SDN than there are med schools. Being anonymous means being free to make up whatever **** you want.

Reactions: 6 users
You don't have to fathom anything. There are more people graduating at the top of their class on SDN than there are med schools. Being anonymous means being free to make up whatever **** you want.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, buddy. I know a couple of classmates who always get so defensive whenever they hear about other classmates performing at a higher level than them. It's pitiful.

Reactions: 3 users
Whatever helps you sleep at night, buddy. I know a couple of classmates who always get so defensive whenever they hear about other classmates performing at a higher level than them. It's pitiful.
Cool story bro

Congrats on understanding pharm and never doing a second pass.

I only do the reading once as well, but I do every question I can get my hands on. I think those count as several passes.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I always assumed such high performance involved scuffed knees and some back-and-forth texts that would get me a ban for posting on SDN.

What a hater. I wasn't trying to brag. I was trying to point out that everyone is different and just because some people do well on tests doesn't mean they don't have a life.

Good point, the difference between a 90% and a 100% could likely be due to understanding what material the professor wants you to know.... And that is exactly why I do better on standardized exams vs regular coursework. I have more solid info regarding what USMLE wants vs what my professors want. Hell, most of our questions require an understanding of minutiae and, ultimately, the personality of each professor. It can be easy to miss a question just due to bad wording.

I know our first section of the year we had someone score 100%. This, without much understanding of the medical school professors question styles... He, i hear, spent all night all day studying to get that score.

So it seems as though there are two routes to the 100%: understand exactly what the professors want you to study, and thus study efficiently. Or, you can study a ****-ton of material all day all night until you cannot have missed any details that will be on the exam, regardless of understanding what the professors want

I will say you've inspired me to probe further on the more efficient route 8)

Was your first block anatomy? A decent number of med students (at least in my class) have a background in anatomy and/or other medical basic sciences (physio, biochem, etc). Plus many MS programs are taught by the same professor(s) that teach the medical school course so if you do an anatomy MS, for example, at the same school you attend for med school you already have a leg up. Obviously this is going to be only a handful of students, but perhaps it helps explain why some students do extremely well in 1 subject, then fall more in line with the average in subsequent subjects.

Studying all day and all night might work, but I know it doesn't work for me. I tried it during anatomy because I was an anxious newly-minted-MS1 just like almost everyone else. Grades were lowest in that class probably because I was burned out or whatever else.

But you're right, there's more than one way to skin a cat and the trick is finding out which way works for you. The other thing I've found to be highly important is to focus on yourself and not on what your classmates are doing. Obviously your performance is judged relative to the performance of other med students, but short of sabotaging people there's nothing in your power besides doing your best. The earlier you figure it out, the better off you'll be in and out of school.

I hope you find a way to improve your scores, make more time for yourself, or accomplish whatever goal(s) you have. In the end we're all in this together.

While I applaud you for your smarts and ability to juggle many things, you are in a small minority of med students.

Probably so, though I know 5 people who score the same or better than me and 4 of them have a lot on their plate as well. Actually, 2 of those 4 have a spouse and kids.. which is incredible. I have time for activities, but I can do them (or not do them) at my leisure. Having a family must make scheduling much more difficult and I am always so amazed by med students who can do well and also be a great parent/spouse.

Arrogance (internally) is quite helpful. I know people that worry about exams and performance even though they continually do well.. Not 100%s or high 90s, but they are worried about failing (or say they are) even though they score 10-15% above failing on every exam. These people would probably be much happier if they spent more time not in the books.

Studying for 5-6 hours less every week probably won't hurt your exam grades that much. I think that's one of the biggest secrets of med school.

Reactions: 1 user

you don't need to know that, you just need to have a general idea of where they drain and what the locations are. It takes maybe 20-30 minutes to get it down enough to get the right answer on a MCT.

you don't need to know that, you just need to have a general idea of where they drain and what the locations are. It takes maybe 20-30 minutes to get it down enough to get the right answer on a MCT.
I did have to know it for my school's anatomy course. I'm aware that it's (thankfully) low yield for boards though

Rarely got 100%, except for genetics, immuno, and pathology. But scoring well in medical school was a matter of knowing the material--and that didn't mean memorizing for me. I tried to understand how everything related to the other things I'd studied or other material from that module. Maybe that wasn't enough to get some of the "remember that one caption to the picture on page 487," but it was good enough for A's in the classes in which I wanted to do that well (read: interested in those areas).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rarely got 100%, except for genetics, immuno, and pathology. But scoring well in medical school was a matter of knowing the material--and that didn't mean memorizing for me. I tried to understand how everything related to the other things I'd studied or other material from that module. Maybe that wasn't enough to get some of the "remember that one caption to the picture on page 487," but it was good enough for A's in the classes in which I wanted to do that well (read: interested in those areas).
Depends on what specialty you're going for. If you're going to go for a competitive specialty, then you're going to need to get A's in classes, even in the ones you're not interested in.

Depends on what specialty you're going for. If you're going to go for a competitive specialty, then you're going to need to get A's in classes, even in the ones you're not interested in.

Not if a P is a P.

Wow that sounds so sad. I admire your courage for posting this though.

Only 100%? I've never gotten below a 106%. This is because I get EVERY question right, even the bad questions they throw out bc not enough people got them right (I always do). I also only do 1 pass through the material. Watch lectures 5x speed while running a marathon everyday at the gym (my glutes are so hard). Im sorry to hear about your learning disability that makes you read so slow.

I'll admit I'm not perfect though, only got a 273 on step 1. Was devastated. Cried for a week. Ate a lot of ice cream and watched every episode of friends. Oh well. Anyway, I would've had a life in med school like you but I was too busy publishing 5 papers/month after the plastic surgery dept gave me my own lab (its hard work managing millions in grant money). I also developed my own procedure to repair cleft/lip plate w a toothpick and fork. Now every baby living in 3rd world country can have beautiful smile! It all comes at a price though...my supermodel wife left me cuz I wasn't having enough sex w her (don't make the same mistake I did, friend).

Cheers!

Reactions: 12 users
Doesn't that only matter if you are inducted into AOA, which grades do not necessarily guarantee?

Doesn't that only matter if you are inducted into AOA, which grades do not necessarily guarantee?

AOA induction, true. But also into your class rank which PDs also see.

I find it sad that we in medicine have gotten so far off track that this statement was felt necessary:(

lol. you think physicians 200 years ago weren't taking stimulants? Also, they didn't have to deal with Robbins.

We are on the same page:)
Yes, PDs see your OVERALL class rank, whether that be an ordinal (#5 out of 150 students), which quartile you're in, or "code word" which is printed on your MSPE.

I dealt with Robbins. I didn't take prescription stimulants. I think Osler would be disgusted

But maybe I'm wrong.

Neither did I, but I don't see anything morally wrong with it (disgust), which was the point being made. I only see the stupidity.

I think you do Bill a disservice.

I dealt with Robbins. I didn't take prescription stimulants. I think Osler would be disgusted

But maybe I'm wrong.
Osler is hardly the arbiter on what is right. This was a man who believed that women had no place in medicine and that a man should ‘Choose a freckle-faced girl for a wife: they are invariably more amiable’—and considered it important for a physician to ‘marry well’.

Neither did I, but I don't see anything morally wrong with it (disgust), which was the point being made. I only see the stupidity.

I think you do Bill a disservice.

You could be very right; Dr Osler cannot guide us. I did find this quote of his interesting though: "one of the first duties of the physician is to educate the masses not to take medicine."

Who really knows what he would think...

I can say again...I am disgusted by the use of prescription stimulants without a true clinical reason.

I can only speak for me; it's great for you that you are not disgusted.

Osler is hardly the arbiter on what is right. This was a man who believed that women had no place in medicine and that a man should ‘Choose a freckle-faced girl for a wife: they are invariably more amiable’—and considered it important for a physician to ‘marry well’.

You're right; we all will look silly when future generations quote our SDN comments.

I brought up one historical medical icon in the discussion of what former generations would do with stimulants.

As I said above the only truth I can offer is that I find it saddening. This is not refutable. Nor am I saying it just because I'm online....I say it openly with my real first name and my real photo attached. I find it sad.

You're right; we all will look silly when future generations quote our SDN comments.

I brought up one historical medical icon in the discussion of what former generations would do with stimulants.

As I said above the only truth I can offer is that I find it saddening. This is not refutable. Nor am I saying it just because I'm online....I say it openly with my real first name and my real photo attached. I find it sad.

We are hardly the "Father of Modern Medicine" that Osler was. Medical education back in his day is completely different based on how it is now both financially, years of sacrifice, the way medical services are rendered and paid for, etc.

We are hardly the "Father of Modern Medicine" that Osler was. Medical education back in his day is completely different based on how it is now both financially, years of sacrifice, the way medical services are rendered and paid for, etc.

Im not sure the relevance of this…the bottom line was I, Venk, with my background of experiences etc feel it is saddening. I am happy for you if you do not feel it is saddening, else I will feel camaraderie with you if you feel as I do.

I am not interested in exploring your assessment of the status of Osler as enough of a medical icon to be the father of medicine but not enough to quote on his potential view of stimulants among medical students. I am confident there is a sweet spot somewhere where we can provide just enough reverence to him so as to not spark debate with you on the issue…I just haven't found it and frankly don't care to.

Just because a public figure says/writes something doesn't mean they believe it. They need to keep up appearances. Actions speak far louder than words ever can,.

It's not just that, either.No one's perfect, and just because someone was a leading figure in a field, doesn't mean that their word should be treated as canon. This isn't a cult.

Last edited:
Im not sure the relevance of this…the bottom line was I, Venk, with my background of experiences etc feel it is saddening. I am happy for you if you do not feel it is saddening, else I will feel camaraderie with you if you feel as I do.

I am not interested in exploring your assessment of the status of Osler as enough of a medical icon to be the father of medicine but not enough to quote on his potential view of stimulants among medical students. I am confident there is a sweet spot somewhere where we can provide just enough reverence to him so as to not spark debate with you on the issue…I just haven't found it and frankly don't care to.

You said, "I think Osler would be disgusted" after which I replied the number of idiotic things Osler posted and believed, to which you responded, "You're right; we all will look silly when future generations quote our SDN comments." My point is Osler is hardly the exalted figure you're making him out to be as if his word is somehow the Gospel and the arbiter of what is right or wrong in medicine. I don't see how this is difficult for you to comprehend.

If anything, Osler would have been more likely to advocate stimulant use (if needed) so that residents would be more awake and able to take care of and evaluate patients.

I'm sorry but that title you're using belongs to Avicenna;)

Woah, chill out, dude. I simply wanted to provide the OP and other interested students information on a technique that helped me get 100% in some of my classes. As an MD/PhD student pursuing a PhD at a school that only grades P/F, even passing all my classes the first time probably isn't necessary for my future career. Take it from an older career-switcher. Life is too short to spend it obsessed on one detail of it (and not one of the big ones, either), and there are worse things out there than messing up in a class.

Last edited:
Woah, chill out, dude. I simply wanted to provide the OP and other interested students information on a technique that helped me get 100% in some of my classes. As an MD/PhD student pursuing a PhD in math at a school that only grades P/F, even passing all my classes the first time probably isn't necessary for my future career. Take it from an older career-switcher. Life is too short to spend it obsessed on one detail of it (and not one of the big ones, either), and there are worse things out there than messing up in a class.
I don't know where you got the idea that I was angry. If you're going for a relatively competitive specialty, you're going to have to do well in blocks or rotations that you're not interested in and may even have to feign interest in. It's a statement of fact as it contributes to your class rank.

Woah, chill out, dude. I simply wanted to provide the OP and other interested students information on a technique that helped me get 100% in some of my classes. As an MD/PhD student pursuing a PhD in math at a school that only grades P/F, even passing all my classes the first time probably isn't necessary for my future career. Take it from an older career-switcher. Life is too short to spend it obsessed on one detail of it (and not one of the big ones, either), and there are worse things out there than messing up in a class.

On the other hand, if you had been obsessed with the right details earlier in your life maybe you wouldn't have had to go through a career change in the first place.

Many of us want to do it (picking our career) right the first time.

Man, after today's exam I have no clue how any of these dudes figure out what's high-yield or isn't. Or how they can store all this crap in their head. I'll speak to my psychiatrist about methylphenidate, I think I might need it to get out of this place alive.

Man, after today's exam I have no clue how any of these dudes figure out what's high-yield or isn't. Or how they can store all this crap in their head. I'll speak to my psychiatrist about methylphenidate, I think I might need it to get out of this place alive.
i know that feel bro

How do you think that will solve things (Assuming you don't actually have ADHD)? It's not like Adderall gives you more neuronal synapses to hold information.

http://healthland.time.com/2010/12/...e-you-smarter-but-it-makes-you-think-you-are/

Last edited:
Maybe you should go talk with your profs? What are you doing now? Anatomy? Do you know BRS cold? You really don't need to know much more. BRS+Qbanks+Pretest+Lipp Q&A will get you over a 90 on the shelf.

Maybe you should go talk with your profs? What are you doing now? Anatomy? Do you know BRS cold? You really don't need to know much more. BRS+Qbanks+Pretest+Lipp Q&A will get you over a 90 on the shelf.

Cardio

I find it sad that we in medicine have gotten so far off track that this statement was felt necessary:(

You're surprised that your typical, anal-retentive, neurotic, high-achieving SDNer wouldn't turn to a Rx solution to gain an academic edge over classmates?

You're surprised that your typical, anal-retentive, neurotic, high-achieving SDNer wouldn't turn to a Rx solution to gain an academic edge over classmates?

Forget an edge man, I just want to even the playing field a bit.

Not surprised anymore...disappointed still, but no longer surprised.

Probably should have handed out more trophys for participation when they were younger:)