How does "that person" always get 100% on tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not surprised anymore...disappointed still, but no longer surprised.

Probably should have handed out more trophys for participation when they were younger:)
Hardly a solution, lol. Then you'll get a more narcissistic and entitled medical student (as if millennials aren't narcissistic and entitled enough), who believe they deserve a grade of "Honors" for breathing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well then, I'm truly fked lol.
I'm assuming that you don't have ADHD for the above to be true. This can only be established by neuropsychiatric testing and a licensed psychiatrist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming that you don't have ADHD for the above to be true. This can only be established by neuropsychiatric testing and a licensed psychiatrist.

But I have been diagnosed with ADHD by a licensed psychiatrist. The reason I'm not on methylphenidate yet is because it exacerbates GAD.

But I have been diagnosed with ADHD by a licensed psychiatrist. The reason I'm not on methylphenidate yet is because it exacerbates GAD.
Yes, bc it's a stimulant there is the possibility of increasing anxiety symptoms in theory. That's why clinically it's important for consistent followup and monitoring for side effects.

Last edited:

So your psychiatrist is treating you only for GAD and ignoring your ADHD?

Edit: On a related note, anyone can get diagnosed with ADHD.

Have you considered Strattera? Since it is not a stimulant it may not exacerbate the anxiety symptoms.

Also, since the drugs have shown the greatest benefit in those with the weakest ability in certain areas, you may not in fact be "fked."

So your psychiatrist is treating you only for GAD and ignoring your ADHD?

Edit: On a related note, anyone can get diagnosed with ADHD.

That's only if surveys are used. The Test of Variables of Attention (TOVA) weeds faking people out.

Last edited:
Have you considered Strattera? Since it is not a stimulant it may not exacerbate the anxiety symptoms.

That's only if surveys are used. The Test of Variables of Attention (TOVA) weeds faking people out.
I'm curious whether drugs like Adderall or Strattera actually work for people, or does it just make them "think" it works for them.

Interesting, I've recently been prescribed Stattera and am hoping it works. Amphetamines (tried Adderall and Vyvanse) just make me tired and depressed, although they helped me to focus on simple tasks slightly better.

Interesting, I've recently been prescribed Stattera and am hoping it works. Amphetamines (tried Adderall and Vyvanse) just make me tired and depressed, although they helped me to focus on simple tasks slightly better.
It can take several weeks for Strattera to start working so don't let any of the crappy side effects dissuade you.

Members don't see this ad :)
It can take several weeks for Strattera to start working so don't let any of the crappy side effects dissuade you.
Thanks for the encouragement, I'm giving it my all along with learning meditation techniques. I realize medication alone is not the solution.

Tired and depressed while on them?!?

Yes, having no energy to exert effort in physical activities or even show emotion. Music is dull, interests become boring etc... I haven't personally heard of anyone else with the same experience i've had tbh.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm giving it my all along with learning meditation techniques. I realize medication alone is not the solution.

Tired and depressed while on them?!?

Trod could be referring to withdrawal symptoms of amphetamines, i.e. tired and depressed. It could be a good enough reason to try another drug anyway.

Modafinil is pretty common here the week of any final. Pretty much everyone understands that it doesn't improve cognition, but it does let you skip that pesky afternoon nap.

I don't use it 'cause I plan well enough to not need it.

Last edited:
Modafinil is pretty common here the week of any final. Pretty much everyone understands that it doesn't improve cognition, but it does let you skip that pesky afternoon nap.

I don't use it 'cause I plan well enough to not need it.
I would think Modafinil is better for if you're on call. Hardly a good cognitive study aid.

If you're gonna take drugs for the sole purpose of doing better in med school, you might as well go with benzoylmethylecgonine.

I'm curious whether drugs like Adderall or Strattera actually work for people, or does it just make them "think" it works for them.

Comparing strattera to adderall is like comparing using a twig against superman or using kryptonite.

Comparing strattera to adderall is like comparing using a twig against superman or using kryptonite.
Well they're both for ADD. One isn't a stimulant. Unless you're saying the stimulant is necessary to ace exams.

So, I am that guy who goes to lecture, listens carefully, doesn't necessarily take notes (because it interferes with my ability to pay attention to the lecturer), and then crushes the exam. I do read assigned chapters prior to the lecture and I do homework, but I don't do any of the things my classmates do with index cards, rewriting notes, or multihour study sessions. I will review the text the morning of the exam, to refresh any formulas, etc. But I always walk into tests feeling good. I have run study sessions for other students, to help bring them up to speed, but that has been for altruistic reasons, not because it helped me. (Though, writing a study guide to the renal system was very helpful to me in A&P.)

Now, that is undergrad, but it was a science based discipline at a school known for its academic rigor. I pulled a 4.0 my last two years. My GPA of 3.45 came from a couple of problems in my sophomore year, with humanities courses.

I get it that med school is going to be much more difficult, but I expect to continue to pull high scores on exams, if not 100s. I don't mean to be this guy, and I am terrified of being labeled a gunner. I mostly don't discuss my scores with anyone, since even people who were pretty cool before get weird and jealous when they see that I am not struggling as much as they are.

This actually concerns me. Do you mean Strattera is less effective than Adderall, at least in non-ADDers?
I ask because I'm a long-diagnosed ADDer myself and can only go on Strattera due to anxiety issues with stimulants.
It'll be my first time going on any drug for ADHD and I'm hoping it will help me get more consistent grades in second year.

This actually concerns me. Do you mean Strattera is less effective than Adderall, at least in non-ADDers?
I ask because I'm a long-diagnosed ADDer myself and can only go on Strattera due to anxiety issues with stimulants.
It'll be my first time going on any drug for ADHD and I'm hoping it will help me get more consistent grades in second year.

Just because you can use a sledgehammer to do a job doesn't mean that a screwdriver isn't the better tool and more effective when properly applied.

Just because you can use a sledgehammer to do a job doesn't mean that a screwdriver isn't the better tool and more effective when properly applied.
I think I understand. Thank you!

I get it that med school is going to be much more difficult, but I expect to continue to pull high scores on exams, if not 100s. I don't mean to be this guy, and I am terrified of being labeled a gunner. I mostly don't discuss my scores with anyone, since even people who were pretty cool before get weird and jealous when they see that I am not struggling as much as they are.

Med school is a really small community, and most people tend to not do much other than study and gossip. It would be a good idea to never tell anyone your grades. Also, prepare to get your ass handed to you on at least 1 exam.

Reactions: 1 users
Med school is a really small community, and most people tend to not do much other than study and gossip. It would be a good idea to never tell anyone your grades. Also, prepare to get your ass handed to you on at least 1 exam.
At the very least, he should tell them that he never studies. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Well they're both for ADD. One isn't a stimulant. Unless you're saying the stimulant is necessary to ace exams.

No not saying that, just saying like one person said it's screwdriver vs sledgehammer. They might both be used for the same thing, but the potency is so many orders of magnitude different, I'm not even sure how people compare them.

There's one kid in my class that always used to get 100s on exam. Now he's the kid that's always pimping other classmates on the wards and being a plain gunner. I rather hang / work with my stupid classmates.

In which job would a sledgehammer be a substitute for a screw driver?

A millennial pompously stereotyping millennials. :rolleyes: This place...

Last edited:
There's one kid in my class that always used to get 100s on exam. Now he's the kid that's always pimping other classmates on the wards and being a plain gunner. I rather hang / work with my stupid classmates.

Dude f that kid