How do you explain to family members that vaccinations aren't going to kill you.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was 100% accurate in the general statements of my initial post. We never discussed what was "good or bad". Only that viral genetic material has a general overall plan of attaining access to a cell(s) and spending its time there until ready to move on and infect others. And that is exactly what some vaccine do, as above (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...oing-to-kill-you.1221951/page-2#post-18196761), giving the viral genetic material a free passage to that place they want to live, causing a latent infection where there was none previously. It is a parasite living inside now, taking up resources that the body would have used for itself, causing disruption to the chain of commands given by the nucleus (make this protein sometimes, -not that one), and overall creating extra work for the immune cells which are having to produce extra immune products in order to keep symptoms from presenting in still healthy individuals. A virus is able to evolve like so many other forms of genetic material, towards an infectious trend that may promote spreading by not killing the hosts, at least not at first (think of AIDS and the delay involved) and this particular (zoster virus) is a great example of what lifetimes of configuration can lead to (a permanent, parasitic infection is possible) it is absolutely configured for this typical parasite behavior, to not kill the host while also being able to live there and reproduce until the "ship is sinking" (immune weakening/failure). And giving us little/no options in the mean time, as we currently do not posses the ability to send 'robots' into our cells which can excise and eliminate the actual viral components involved. One day, I hope to change that (probably not with robots though).

If ten vaccines are offered and they all cause a latent infection, do you really think that 10 new latent infections is going to help you live a healthier life? Each new viral infection you acquire is placing a demand on the body's resources and production capacity some how. Genetic material cannot just float around in a cell- it has to constantly be kept up and re-organized and re-produced to stay intact. How many copies of viral genetic material are transcribed from each infected cell, each day, towards this end in a human spinal ganglion infected with the zoster virus? And, what happens when you introduce disorder into an otherwise extremely ordered system which is already under a lot of "disorganization/mutation" pressure caused by the pre-existing conditions of life? Answer: Life will generally become more difficult for the host. This zoster infection does not have a symbiotic relationship with our body, it does not produce or give us anything useful, only more disorder which is what is generally trying to tear us apart to begin with. Second, let us consider the word "vaccine" for a minute. Currently, the zoster "vaccine" is labelled as a vaccine, yet this is something I wish to change eventually as well. I do not consider what we are discussing here (free passage to latent infection) an actual vaccine. Although performs the duties of one; I do not appreciate the fact that the virus is allowed to survive inside the body as part of the consequence of vaccination. I will eventually suggest that we open a new category for vaccines which follow this trend and call them something else, label them as "latent infection vaccinations" or similar, so that there is a distinct difference in our terminology when considering actual vaccines (that cure infection and prevent it) and vaccines which cause infection permanently. Apparently some people cough* cannot tell the difference, the way things are currently, and that is an important distinction to make in my opinion.

cliffs (hinges from my first post):
some vaccine will cause a latent infection, which should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. You would not vaccinate an individual just because he/she doesn't have the infection yet; that is ludicrous, to be handing out permanent infections like that. We only do it when necessary to protect them from the other people that already have the latent infections, until a method is derived for removing it completely from the body. For example, if we send 20 people to the moon to live there for 20 years, and none of them have the zoster virus yet. You would not vaccinate all of them, or even one of them, just for the sake of doing it. They will not encounter the virus there, isolated, unless someone brings it. You would, however, bring the vaccine along just in case somebody has it already and doesn't test positive on Earth, that would be common sense, to have it available yet restrain use until necessary, which was the only point of my original post (common sense when dolling out latent infections). The lack of common sense/self thinking on the internet, combined with the popularity/mob mentality (3 OR 4 PEOPLE says its right/wrong so it must be everyone in the world who also think so) is unsettling.

Hello. Please do not be offended, but it is evident that you have encountered some misconceptions somewhere along the way. I have found that it can be difficult to have a satisfying discussion about immunology/vaccines/infectious disease with people who aren't well acquainted with the science. A good resource is Janeway's Immunobiology. I strongly recommend reading this or another similar textbook BEFORE interpreting studies found with a Google Scholar search. Textbooks are quickly outdated, but they can help one form a knowledge base that one can assimilate new information into, and provide a working understanding that can accommodate new findings. It's an interesting subject and worth the time one invests to learn about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the post and I appreciate the feedback. Let me break down how I feel about these things so you can see where I am coming from.

Wow, I usually just try to lurk but there's so much wrong with this. I don't even know where to start so I'll just make a list:
1. Viruses are not "parasites".
In my eyes, anything that saps the bodies resources and increases cellular workload without any corresponding benefit is considered a parasite, even if it is an internally implemented source found in typical DNA. In other words, if you are born with DNA that causes the production/output of a cell type to be hampered by a useless protein, you are suffering a parasitic loss (energy is being wasted). The fidelity and actions of the immune system absolutely depends upon workload; the higher the workload (more diseases/infections/parasites per unit time) the more likely you are so succumb to something that would normally not be an issue. It is therefore imperative we maintain a minimum to our latent infections. There is only so much room inside a cell; many disease pathology are related to the build up or inability of a cell to deal with certain byproducts. Just because the immune system can handle a latent viral workload, doesn't mean that is has an infinite capacity to do. We must be very careful in choosing what is allowed to live inside our bodies.

2. Genetic material cannot "evolve".
genetic material changes over time, sometimes for the better survival of the organism. If a genetic change in a virus makes the virus more deadly typically you see a rise in the ability of the virus to maintain integrity outside the body. Likewise, if a virus gains genetic advantages which allows it to infect and survive inside the body, it may have a reduced ability to survive outside the body. These are just one example of how viral material can evolve. I consider the viruses themselves as "evolving" anytime there is any slight change which produces more viable combinations, and because viral genetic material can be removed from an existing shell and transplanted to a new shell, and so can all of it's machinery and products (we can do this now). Since the advent of modern tech to do these things (ability to manipulate genes of viruses and their products) a virus no longer need be "intact" for us to study it, or implement it's code somehow. In other words, I can remove a specific portion of the viral genes and translate just that sole portion if I want to; and then I can add that portion or its product to the capsule of another completely unrelated viruses. This example is to show that the genetic materials themselves encode the information necessary for viral activities, but not necessarily the raw combination of parts or their respective effects. A real life example I can think of is influenza, doesn't influenza occasionally infect a cell with two viruses at the same time and give rise to novel components? If that is not a possible evolutionary step for the genetic materials, I don't know what else to call it.

3. The varicella vaccine is a just that, a vaccination. This is undisputed in about every definition of the term. What you perceive to be a vaccine is both erroneous and irrelevant.
You can call it a vaccine, but what I see is the virus winning the war against medicine. The viral genetic material has found a way ("evolved") to get humans to knowingly inject themselves with it, by taking on the guise of a "friendly invader". It tells us "let us inside, we won't appear to harm you if you let us inside so we can live inside your body forever till you die". And we have no option, because almost everybody else already has them living inside. Its like that movie where people infect themselves to make the zombies ignore them- everybody is infected so there is no more reason to attack/evolve any further, the virus has won. Except there is no cure afterwards, you take it to the grave. At what point do we stop giving ourselves the virus? How can we ever stop giving the vaccine (infecting ourselves) when we cannot eliminate the virus from the existing population? I feel that medicine has more or less turned it's back on this one (put it on the back burner) for a few reasons, the biggest is because everybody is concerned with symptoms, doctors treating symptoms and trying to prevent symptoms, yet nobody is concerned with the actual infection which persists for life and appears unavoidable (i.e. we have bigger problems so lets just ignore it, since we found a way to eliminate the symptoms who cares if the infection persists). One day there will be a real vaccine which eliminates the actual infection and not just reduces the symptoms.

4. "You would not vaccinate an individual just because he/she doesn't have the infection yet" - I can't even. This just goes to show you do not know what you're talking about. This is the very point of vaccinations. (rabies being a potential exception)
so if I had fifty or one hundred different vaccines for viruses and bacteria all over the world, most of which you would never encounter, you would want all 50 or 100 of them? Hell no. You only take the ones you need, the most important vital vaccines that you know have high chances of successfully helping you avoid infection or at least symptoms. You don't just distribute vaccines randomly or wildly based on ... nothing. I don't know where you get that from, that we should vaccinate everybody, just because we have it.

5. Your whole argument is based on the argument that viruses can be avoided. Prior to the vaccine, 95% of people had varicella exposure by age 18.

Now we are playing the point of view game. I DO believe that many viruses can be avoided, for example, air filtration systems have improved dramatically in the last decade, many can trap viruses. And that is just the beginning of our advanced way to destroy pathogens before they find hosts. I am only thinking of the future, considering the possibilities of mass population screening and computer algorithms which help find suitable middle grounds between preparation and deliberation. Not everyone lives in wooden stick huts anymore, there are even facilities which have their own air supply and pressure source. Modern methods for detecting viruses are also underway, such that soon we might be able to tell if a pathogen is present by merely waving around a cell phone.

6. The moon analogy makes no sense. Of course you don't vaccinate against diseases that aren't in the population. Wonder why we stopped polio vaccinations?
Lets tie 5 and 6 together now. The idea behind the future is... new frontiers. New planets, exploration, space ships. Isolated populations already exist here on earth, but not nearly to the degree I am thinking they might one day. We have to stop thinking about Earth as the only single unified envelope for humans. Even so, Earth, as well connected as it is, still has isolated outbreaks of various pathogens; you are far more likely to find an Ebola outbreak in Africa, for example. So there is some degree of separate yet we must take nothing for granted, anybody can fly to Africa and bring Ebola back.

7. "The lack of common sense/self thinking on the internet" - The irony here is palpable.

the best thing I can say is that it isn't always easy to speak your mind, and even less easy to listen when you don't like the person speaking. I am not here for self glory and indeed expect to be more or less nailed to a cross for my ways of thinking. This was more or less a test to see how far the internet has come, and it actually did reasonably well this time.

There's more but, realistically, nothing I write is going to change your mind. Your posts lead me to believe that you've done some Wiki reading, seen a bunch of big words, but have no true understanding for their significance.

I purposefully use small, generic terms such as "strong" and "weak" for example, a third grade level if you will, to avoid this exact situation where everyone thinks I am trying to act like smart internet guy. I do not think I am smart, I do not have a high IQ, I do not pretend if I do not understand. Where have I used any big words? To avoid looking like "trying to be a smart guy on the internet". I think like a child and type like a child, only to display what little we know for sure (when zoster spends its time in your body, and that by living there, it causes some disorder which is never good) and if you see this as a threat then I am not sure how much lower I can go with it.

To the list below add: only the VZV vaccine contains a virus that can cause a latent infection. All other viral vaccines contain attenuated viruses which do not cause latent infections, contain killed virus, or only viral subunits.

And here's what you find when you do a real Pubmed search, AND you actually understand what you're reading:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27551429
"Since the introduction of VZV vaccines, the rates of infection, hospitalizations, and mortality have declined."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27440875
"The continued success of the live attenuated varicella-zoster virus vaccine in preventing varicella-zoster and herpes zoster is well documented,"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25692656
"The adverse events were not different in the control and test groups (P > 0.05). The test live attenuated vaccine was found to be highly immunogenic, safe and comparable to Varilrix used in control arm."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26748161
Safety of Live Attenuated High-Titer Varicella-Zoster Virus Vaccine in Pediatric Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Recipients

Right on, I never said it wasn't necessary to vaccinate. I never said don't do it. I never said it was a bad thing to reduce the symptoms of varicella. Obviously the "vaccine" works as intended and lives are saved. Its a really great thing we have figured out so far. It just needs to go a little further until we can conquer the infection status. As I said above, it appears that medicine has put this one "on the back burner" and more or less forgotten about it for the time being (to focus on more important issues, no doubt) which I can respect. Until the day that technology comes along and somebody realizes in an instant, hey, we can actually fix it now.

@kingtal0n
Let's just pretend that we live in some alternate dimension where everything you've said so far is right (it's not). Have you ever seen an adult get a primary varicella infection? It's far, far worse than shingles and potentially fatal unlike the less concerning infections which occur in childhood. It's why parents would intentionally expose their 4 and 5 years olds to other children with chicken pox and hope they caught it, to prevent the risk of them getting it and dying as an adult. Even if the vaccine did lead to a higher risk of shingles later in life (which there is no evidence that it does right now), I'd much rather a person have shingles and deal with the pain for a few days-weeks than get a primary infection and die.

There's this thing called evidence-based medicine that most doctors use, and this other thing called common sense that everyone should use. The reason you're getting "ganged up on" is because you're using neither, and us physicians and even med students deal with enough patients with these concerns regularly. We don't need people in our own profession spreading these unproven, and frankly BS, rumors.
If you would do me the honor of quoting anything you think is incorrect, well I should love to explain my reasoning behind it. Your blanket statement leaves me wondering where you are stuck. I am not sure what you are trying to imply about the viral pathogen in question, as I never made any comment about the effectiveness of the current vaccine procedure, other than it provides the virus with a direct, free path to the bodies cellular living quarters where it remains for life, and like many pathogens, undoubtedly causes a mess wherever it goes.
I am only trying to show other people the stars in a telescope, and about to get stoned for heresy.

Hello. Please do not be offended, but it is evident that you have encountered some misconceptions somewhere along the way. I have found that it can be difficult to have a satisfying discussion about immunology/vaccines/infectious disease with people who aren't well acquainted with the science. A good resource is Janeway's Immunobiology. I strongly recommend reading this or another similar textbook BEFORE interpreting studies found with a Google Scholar search. Textbooks are quickly outdated, but they can help one form a knowledge base that one can assimilate new information into, and provide a working understanding that can accommodate new findings. It's an interesting subject and worth the time one invests to learn about it.

It is easy to say " you are wrong " but fail to mention how or why, where or when. truly if you wish to provide constructive feedback, you will at least quote or mention what it is you find unpleasant. I prefer to take a very general overview of the whole process. In other words, we can simplify the situation and leave out all the complicated terms by using terminology that everybody can agree with. I will once again re-create the cliffs briefly so there is no misunderstanding of my position, and feel free to quote me and correct anything you see that is incorrect :
1. Varicella zoster invades human body. Either causing symptoms or not, either due to natural infection or vaccination, they both lead to #2
2. The virus always becomes a latent infection, which means it now has access to the cellular machinery where it resides, for the life of the victim.
3. the virus continues to make products from within the safety of it's human host cells, for life, which the immune system must constantly expend resources to eliminate on a daily/hourly/minute basis. This includes resources that the cell would normally use for it's own upkeep, since viral proteins and RNA processing take time and resources too. In this way, does the virus present to us it's "parasitic nature". Any weakening of the immune system will allow the virus more and more ability to leave it's comfortable resting site and venture towards the outside of the body (so that it might infect others, leaving a nasty trail in it's wake of debris from damaged cells).
4. The original point of my original post: If it is unlikely you will ever encounter a given pathogen during your lifespan, it is unwise to vaccinate yourself for it just because you can, especially if it will cause a latent infection which persist for life.

Last edited:
It is easy to say " you are wrong " but fail to mention how or why, where or when. truly if you wish to provide constructive feedback, you will at least quote or mention what it is you find unpleasant. I prefer to take a very general overview of the whole process. In other words, we can simplify the situation and leave out all the complicated terms by using terminology that everybody can agree with. I will once again re-create the cliffs briefly so there is no misunderstanding of my position, and feel free to quote me and correct anything you see that is incorrect :
1. Varicella zoster invades human body. Either causing symptoms or not, either due to natural infection or vaccination, they both lead to #2
2. The virus always becomes a latent infection, which means it now has access to the cellular machinery where it resides, for the life of the victim.
3. the virus continues to make products from within the safety of it's human host cells, for life, which the immune system must constantly expend resources to eliminate on a daily/hourly/minute basis. This includes resources that the cell would normally use for it's own upkeep, since viral proteins and RNA processing take time and resources too. In this way, does the virus present to us it's "parasitic nature". Any weakening of the immune system will allow the virus more and more ability to leave it's comfortable resting site and venture towards the outside of the body (so that it might infect others, leaving a nasty trail in it's wake of debris from damaged cells).
4. The original point of my original post: If it is unlikely you will ever encounter a given pathogen during your lifespan, it is unwise to vaccinate yourself for it just because you can, especially if it will cause a latent infection which persist for life.[/QUOTE]

Sure. I apologize if I came across as patronizing or dismissive. It has been hard to estimate what you know and what you don't. I still recommend the book.

The VZV has a genome of about 70 genes, and during its period of episomal latency, only one or two appear to be active, thus it is not likely to be an excessive burden on host transcription machinery. Out of the millions of people vaccinated, there are only a minute amount of people who during periods of reactivation manifest a clinical syndrome where a vaccine type genome is identifiable, and even in these cases, the clinical syndrome is far less severe. It seems that "any weakening" does not result in this (refer to articles previously posted in this thread). That is really more of a problem with the wild type virus, which is why one would want to get vaccinated in the first place. It is naive to think that it is unlikely for a person to encounter the wild type pathogen in this period of progressive urbanization and global travel and interaction. Furthermore, as you probably know, but must have forgotten in your digression about air filtration systems, VZV is transmitted by fluid contact.

Could incidental plasmid transfection by a different pathogen transform the latent virus into a cell mediated immunity evading ultra-virulent super-herpes? Maybe. But it sounds more like science fiction than science.

Members don't see this ad :)
The original point of my original post: If it is unlikely you will ever encounter a given pathogen during your lifespan, it is unwise to vaccinate yourself for it just because you can, especially if it will cause a latent infection which persist for life.

I don't necessarily agree with this point, but I understand the thought process. My jimmies are rustled due to your following posts that spreads misconceptions, generalizations, oversimplifications, and just plain wrong information about vaccines and their importance. It's posts like those that someone else might read and, with little understanding of their own, come to the conclusion that vaccines are "bad". It is the spread of misinformation that kills kids (melodramatic I know). But in the past 10 years there has been an increase in preventable childhood diseases due to non-immunization. This is not propaganda, this is fact.

Again, I have multiple issues with your most recent post but I, too, am going to suggest that reading an immunology text (Abbas - Basic Immunology is my favorite) might help.

If you would do me the honor of quoting anything you think is incorrect, well I should love to explain my reasoning behind it. Your blanket statement leaves me wondering where you are stuck. I am not sure what you are trying to imply about the viral pathogen in question, as I never made any comment about the effectiveness of the current vaccine procedure, other than it provides the virus with a direct, free path to the bodies cellular living quarters where it remains for life, and like many pathogens, undoubtedly causes a mess wherever it goes.
I am only trying to show other people the stars in a telescope, and about to get stoned for heresy.

At the moment I don't have time to go back through all of your statements, but the bolded above statement has no empirical evidence to back it up and is completely false. The varicella vaccine contains an attenuated virus, which when given to someone with a properly functioning immune system is killed and does not remain in the human body for life, that's just not how attenuated vaccines work. Only the antibodies created against the virus remain in the body for life, and those antibodies are not responsible for causing shingles. So unless the individual encountered the actual non-attenuated virus and was unable to completely clear it from the body, then there would be no virus living latently in the host to cause shingles later. Since the vaccine pre-creates antibodies against the virus in a healthy individual, a vaccinated individual would be more likely to clear the virus before it can reach the dorsal root ganglions and LESS likely to cause an episode of shingles later in life.

So while it does allow some viral components direct access to the human body, these viral parts are not active, cannot replicate, and would not remain in the host body permanently like you seem to think it would. If someone gave you that impression then they have a poor understanding of basic immunology and how vaccines work.

Just ask them: How is it good business to kill your customers?

Reactions: 1 user
And basic virology as well.

So while it does allow some viral components direct access to the human body, these viral parts are not active, cannot replicate, and would not remain in the host body permanently like you seem to think it would. If someone gave you that impression then they have a poor understanding of basic immunology and how vaccines work.

Sure. I apologize if I came across as patronizing or dismissive. It has been hard to estimate what you know and what you don't. I still recommend the book.

The VZV has a genome of about 70 genes, and during its period of episomal latency, only one or two appear to be active, thus it is not likely to be an excessive burden on host transcription machinery.

Still, I would rather not have any viral genes in my cells. That is all I was really getting at. If you don't need the infection to fight the wild type... why add it to the list ?

It is naive to think that it is unlikely for a person to encounter the wild type pathogen in this period of progressive urbanization and global travel and interaction. Furthermore, as you probably know, but must have forgotten in your digression about air filtration systems, VZV is transmitted by fluid contact.

my comment about the air filters was with respect to any random viruses, not specifically varicella. The other gentlemen mentioned that it was "impossible" to avoid viruses or something along those lines... Which I pointed out that 'isolated' colonies do exist (for humans) and may sooner than later be more prevalent. For example: Ebola virus. Nobody takes an Ebola vaccine here in the USA, even though my research indicated that one does exist. We are definitely "AVOIDING" the virus, and not vaccinating for it, here in the USA.

Could incidental plasmid transfection by a different pathogen transform the latent virus into a cell mediated immunity evading ultra-virulent super-herpes? Maybe. But it sounds more like science fiction than science.
I just want to point out that having the genes IN my human cells means that any number of new infections (even subtle, or unremarkable pathogens) can interfere/activate those viral genes, or even add to their mechanism. Furthermore, stress signals within the cell may induce gene activation, even if it is "administered" by a doctor (i.e. steroids). In other words, having the viral genes latent adds an increased risk to immune system weakening procedures that might be useful to overcome other disease pathologies. Maybe not the case with Varicella! Again, I mean only generally, that latent viral genes are not a handy thing to have hanging around, for any number of reasons. I never meant to tackle Varicella specifically.

I don't necessarily agree with this point, but I understand the thought process. My jimmies are rustled due to your following posts that spreads misconceptions, generalizations, oversimplifications, and just plain wrong information about vaccines and their importance. It's posts like those that someone else might read and, with little understanding of their own, come to the conclusion that vaccines are "bad". It is the spread of misinformation that kills kids (melodramatic I know). But in the past 10 years there has been an increase in preventable childhood diseases due to non-immunization. This is not propaganda, this is fact.

Again, I have multiple issues with your most recent post but I, too, am going to suggest that reading an immunology text (Abbas - Basic Immunology is my favorite) might help.

To be perfectly clear, I NEVER said it was a bad thing to vaccinate. I only mention how I feel about some of them: they arn't all true cures, just temporary symptom controllers with unknown/possible range of effects that remain somewhat unclear, depending on the virus and whatever genes it brings to the table. I mean to generalize of latent viral infections in general, abstractly review the process as simplified: the virus seeks to replicate and re-infect, simple. It does so by using our resources (parasitic nature), simple. It has genes, some of which may code for proteins or even ribozymes that nobody has any clue what they are for or do, which may have far reaching consequences for the organism that nobody yet realizes.

At the moment I don't have time to go back through all of your statements, but the bolded above statement has no empirical evidence to back it up and is completely false. The varicella vaccine contains an attenuated virus, which when given to someone with a properly functioning immune system is killed and does not remain in the human body for life, that's just not how attenuated vaccines work. Only the antibodies created against the virus remain in the body for life, and those antibodies are not responsible for causing shingles.

Are you trying to me that the attenuated varicella vaccine does not generate a latent infection? because I was under the impression (previous post reference) that they do. And if so, then scratch this one off the list. I am sure there are others, and I was being very general about viruses overall. My intuition tells me otherwise: How does the body continually know to produce antibodies against a virus unless the virus keeps showing itself? doesn't antibody production gradually slow (thus requiring a "booster") for viruses which clear completely? It seems as though the Varicella is continually producing viral protein products if it is able to maintain the human body defenses (antibody production) strongly.

So unless the individual encountered the actual non-attenuated virus and was unable to completely clear it from the body, then there would be no virus living latently in the host to cause shingles later. Since the vaccine pre-creates antibodies against the virus in a healthy individual, a vaccinated individual would be more likely to clear the virus before it can reach the dorsal root ganglions and LESS likely to cause an episode of shingles later in life.

I wish this is true. And if so great, give it to everybody. Free antibodies sounds great! Except one little thing,

Antibodies... are and are not simple things. The process to create an antibody is going to use up some of the bodies resources- plain simple fact. It takes "work" and "fidelity" to produce an antibody. There is only so much space in the body for such processes/objects. Every new circulating antibody is a thing that required resources to produce and a highly specific, ordered process to "figure out and create". Nothing is free, even if you inject horse antibodies to fight snake venom, they circulate and take up space. It is insignificant on an individual scale, sure. However, on a grand scale, you could see how maybe having to create tens or hundreds of different kinds of antibodies to fight tens or hundreds of different latent infections could be tiring, troublesome behavior for an animal. That is why it is with great care we must decide which vaccines/antibodies are applicable, and not just doll them out to everybody without holding back.Even without the latent infection. I've even heard of antibodies which target both bacteria and human tissues... an unfortunate side effect. So limiting those to the bare bones essential is a key, IMO to long healthy life. You don't want a ton/variety of circulating anythings if you don't really need them.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK47446/
Unless a Vaccine That Does Not Induce Latent Infection Is Developed and Widely Used, Herd Immunity Will Be Required to control diseases due to VZV in addition to personal immunity from the vaccine itself.,” n.d.
“Varicella-Zoster Vaccine - Human Herpesviruses - NCBI Bookshelf.” Accessed October 8, 2016.

Hey I just read the papers and report back what I find. The basic principle of viral genes goes beyond immunology. Some of the genes in the human body are known viral counterparts/useful for viral invasion but have other useful processes inside a cell also. That is not to say that they themselves are viruses; it only shows that the viruses have evolved over time to work with whatever they have come into contact with over the millions of years of evolution. Sometimes unexpected products result, and there are so many disease pathologies which remain unclear/unsolved and it isn't very often you find one of them without the foot not "suspected virus/viral genes are involved" and I leave it at that.

Last edited:
I had to explain to a physician that vaccines aren't going to kill you after he refused a flu vaccine....which he told me that they implant tracking devices for the government to follow you...I walked away after that

Still, I would rather not have any viral genes in my cells. That is all I was really getting at. If you don't need the infection to fight the wild type... why add it to the list ?

my comment about the air filters was with respect to any random viruses, not specifically varicella. The other gentlemen mentioned that it was "impossible" to avoid viruses or something along those lines... Which I pointed out that 'isolated' colonies do exist (for humans) and may sooner than later be more prevalent. For example: Ebola virus. Nobody takes an Ebola vaccine here in the USA, even though my research indicated that one does exist. We are definitely "AVOIDING" the virus, and not vaccinating for it, here in the USA.

I just want to point out that having the genes IN my human cells means that any number of new infections (even subtle, or unremarkable pathogens) can interfere/activate those viral genes, or even add to their mechanism. Furthermore, stress signals within the cell may induce gene activation, even if it is "administered" by a doctor (i.e. steroids). In other words, having the viral genes latent adds an increased risk to immune system weakening procedures that might be useful to overcome other disease pathologies. Maybe not the case with Varicella! Again, I mean only generally, that latent viral genes are not a handy thing to have hanging around, for any number of reasons. I never meant to tackle Varicella specifically.

To be perfectly clear, I NEVER said it was a bad thing to vaccinate. I only mention how I feel about some of them: they arn't all true cures, just temporary symptom controllers with unknown/possible range of effects that remain somewhat unclear, depending on the virus and whatever genes it brings to the table. I mean to generalize of latent viral infections in general, abstractly review the process as simplified: the virus seeks to replicate and re-infect, simple. It does so by using our resources (parasitic nature), simple. It has genes, some of which may code for proteins or even ribozymes that nobody has any clue what they are for or do, which may have far reaching consequences for the organism that nobody yet realizes.

Are you trying to me that the attenuated varicella vaccine does not generate a latent infection? because I was under the impression (previous post reference) that they do. And if so, then scratch this one off the list. I am sure there are others, and I was being very general about viruses overall. My intuition tells me otherwise: How does the body continually know to produce antibodies against a virus unless the virus keeps showing itself? doesn't antibody production gradually slow (thus requiring a "booster") for viruses which clear completely? It seems as though the Varicella is continually producing viral protein products if it is able to maintain the human body defenses (antibody production) strongly.

I wish this is true. And if so great, give it to everybody. Free antibodies sounds great! Except one little thing,

Antibodies... are and are not simple things. The process to create an antibody is going to use up some of the bodies resources- plain simple fact. It takes "work" and "fidelity" to produce an antibody. There is only so much space in the body for such processes/objects. Every new circulating antibody is a thing that required resources to produce and a highly specific, ordered process to "figure out and create". Nothing is free, even if you inject horse antibodies to fight snake venom, they circulate and take up space. It is insignificant on an individual scale, sure. However, on a grand scale, you could see how maybe having to create tens or hundreds of different kinds of antibodies to fight tens or hundreds of different latent infections could be tiring, troublesome behavior for an animal. That is why it is with great care we must decide which vaccines/antibodies are applicable, and not just doll them out to everybody without holding back.Even without the latent infection. I've even heard of antibodies which target both bacteria and human tissues... an unfortunate side effect. So limiting those to the bare bones essential is a key, IMO to long healthy life. You don't want a ton/variety of circulating anythings if you don't really need them.

Unless a Vaccine That Does Not Induce Latent Infection Is Developed and Widely Used, Herd Immunity Will Be Required to control diseases due to VZV in addition to personal immunity from the vaccine itself.,” n.d.
“Varicella-Zoster Vaccine - Human Herpesviruses - NCBI Bookshelf.” Accessed October 8, 2016.

Hey I just read the papers and report back what I find. The basic principle of viral genes goes beyond immunology. Some of the genes in the human body are known viral counterparts/useful for viral invasion but have other useful processes inside a cell also. That is not to say that they themselves are viruses; it only shows that the viruses have evolved over time to work with whatever they have come into contact with over the millions of years of evolution. Sometimes unexpected products result, and there are so many disease pathologies which remain unclear/unsolved and it isn't very often you find one of them without the foot not "suspected virus/viral genes are involved" and I leave it at that.

God please take an undergrad immunology class

Reactions: 2 users

Ugh, I really don't have time to teach you a full semester/year's worth of immunology, so I'll just recommend you take a class. I will briefly address each paragraph though.

1. Can an attenuated virus lead to a latent infection? Yes. This is not common and is not the purpose of the vaccination though. Your body also doesn't continue producing abs against an infection permanently after the infection is cleared. However, the body does store some of these antibodies which were previously made and converted to IgG in the lymph system. This way if the body is exposed to the Ag in the future the humoral immune system can begin working faster than if it is an initial exposure.

2. Look up positive and negative selection and you'll start to understand why your statement is wrong. It sounds like it could be a logical theory to those who are ignorant to immuno, but science understands how specific Abs are selected for and it is not how you describe. Also, there are literally millions of combinations of Abs that our body creates without encountering any Ag that would attack human tissue if they were released into circulation. This happens when the immune system doesn't work properly and is the definition of an autoimmune disorder.

3. Your quote is completely taken out of context. Here's the paragraph that you cherry-picked that sentence from, take note of the bolded:

"While ideally a vaccine should induce protection of close to 100% against a given disease, breakthrough cases of chickenpox have consistently been reported despite the administration of varicella vaccine, an observation first made in the early clinical trials involving leukemic children (Gershon et al., 1984a, b). The rate at which breakthrough varicella has occurred has varied from study to study. There are a myriad of possible explanations for the phenomenon. One obvious one is that not even natural varicella induces total immunity in every individual. Second cases of natural varicella are well recognized to occur (Gershon et al., 1984a, b; Junker et al., 1989, 1991). It is unrealistic to expect a viral vaccine to provide better protection than the natural illness itself. Another indication that complete immunity to VZV may never be quite achievable is the existence of zoster, which is due to reactivation of latent VZV in persons with partial immunity. Unless a vaccine that does not induce latent infection is developed and widely used, herd immunity will be required to control diseases due to VZV in addition to personal immunity from the vaccine itself."

Notice a few things: the human immune system is not perfect -> some people will only develop partial immunity -> not every vaccine will work for everyone because of this. Unless you want to personalize vaccines for every individual on the planet according to the intricacies of their own immune system, vaccines won't work for everyone. Even if you did do that, there would still be people who couldn't get vaccines or for who it wouldn't work because they have incompetent immune systems (which is why herd immunity is so important). Another point is that random things happen. Your statement on mutations is a perfect example of that and mutations in viral genetic material can occur and cause latent infections or continuing active infections. Look at HIV, it mutates so frequently that creating a feasible vaccine for it has proven to be nearly impossible. This varies depending on the virus, the method of reproduction of the genetic material, as well as what parts of that genetic material are included in the vaccine. As you said, it's possible for viral material to be taken up and reproduced to create a virulent, but that is extremely rare when dealing with attenuated vaccines, as the whole point of attenuation is to prevent that from happening.

oh, a useful post and discussion might ensue? I will try not to disappoint you,
1. Can an attenuated virus lead to a latent infection? Yes.
nuff said? /thread I agree, it can lead to latent infection.

This is not common and is not the purpose of the vaccination though.
Well, I should hope not! I agree, good.

Your body also doesn't continue producing abs against an infection permanently after the infection is cleared. However, the body does store some of these antibodies which were previously made and converted to IgG in the lymph system. This way if the body is exposed to the Ag in the future the humoral immune system can begin working faster than if it is an initial exposure.

I propose you consider what data storage entails for a biological system. If you think there is an infinite capacity to memorize and storage data, then you are wrong. Surely you do not think the production of antibodies is a mere 10bytes or other insignificant quantity. The number of possible combinations of antigenic carboxy-nitro complexes is staggering. Yes, injecting an attenuated virus/bacteria/other containing a specific combination of exterior antigens is beneficial for the organism IF the organism can actually use that data to protect itself, else, this is false data. Furthermore if this organism/data has a possibility of also permanently infecting or otherwise altering and/or increasing the workload at the cellular level of DNA management and upkeep, this is additional risk we will include in our calculations for whether or not the vaccine is a viable solution at that time. I agree with the above, with the addition that for every antibody/antigen taken to cellular memory is taking up valuable space, and that capacity is limited.

2. Look up positive and negative selection and you'll start to understand why your statement is wrong. It sounds like it could be a logical theory to those who are ignorant to immuno, but science understands how specific Abs are selected for and it is not how you describe. Also, there are literally millions of combinations of Abs that our body creates without encountering any Ag that would attack human tissue if they were released into circulation. This happens when the immune system doesn't work properly and is the definition of an autoimmune disorder.

There are instances where antibodies produced by the human body will mimic self antigens and cause serious health issues. For example, Rheumatic fever. One of the many bacterial infections I was well acquainted with during undergrad courses such as medical bacteriology and I am surprised you forgot about it as an example of antibody cross-reaction (so thought to be "mimicry") as punishment for not giving the patient a full course of penicillin. I still laugh that strep is like the only bacteria that doesn't think humans are going to try Penicillin.

3. Your quote is completely taken out of context. Here's the paragraph that you cherry-picked that sentence from, take note of the bolded:

"While ideally a vaccine should induce protection of close to 100% against a given disease, breakthrough cases of chickenpox have consistently been reported despite the administration of varicella vaccine, an observation first made in the early clinical trials involving leukemic children (Gershon et al., 1984a, b). The rate at which breakthrough varicella has occurred has varied from study to study. There are a myriad of possible explanations for the phenomenon. One obvious one is that not even natural varicella induces total immunity in every individual.

1. I didn't write any of the above (I know you know, I am just alerting readers). This is from the paper I posted at random (I said it was random just to say what you said in the very first quote above). Keep in mind it was a random paper, 1 of 80,000 or whatever that probably say something pretty similar I would venture a guess.
2. now that everyone is on the same page, what does "not even natural varicella induces total immunity in every individual" have any contextual argument with the quote I originally posted? The only thing I can think of is, this strengths the approach that vaccines won't work. Which is against them, are you against vaccines? why are you quoting this and bringing it up? I must agree, not even wild varicella might induce total immunity.

There can be many different combinations of antigenic epitopes with various properties... cat and mouse ensues. Many parasites employ this tactic, like Malaria. Malaria loves to change its antigenic property, always one step ahead of the immune system. Thats a drastic case but serves an interesting example.

you continue some quotes,
Second cases of natural varicella are well recognized to occur (Gershon et al., 1984a, b; Junker et al., 1989, 1991). It is unrealistic to expect a viral vaccine to provide better protection than the natural illness itself.

more antivaccine quotes from you, I guess you are positioned against them? I nether agree nor disagree with the above quote from the paper. I think an antibody can be designed that will achieve a much higher yield/efficacy than any naturally produced one.

Another indication that complete immunity to VZV may never be quite achievable is the existence of zoster, which is due to reactivation of latent VZV in persons with partial immunity.

You bolded this from that same paper. It says that, because zoster exists, humans probably can never become immune to VZV. Complete immunity can never be achieved. Which seems to be a guess on behalf of the author, and one that I also disagree with. I say: you can model a virus, and predict all or some of it's combinations, and add knowns, and then vaccinate for those most probable ones, thereby reducing the confidence interval for incorrect data being applied to biological storage banks for antibody production (aka: incorrect antibody design plans). The other aspect of the statement involves the latent infection- which we already know can get there either by the vaccine or the actual virus. So if somebody has it already living inside their cells, it can reactivate. We knew that, and I agree with that, and I think that one day we will be able to remove the infection, possibly using very similar processes to those used to infect the cell to begin with (human designed virus). And the severity of re-activated latent genes will completely depend upon the particular virus (whatever its genes have in store, which can be anything we want now that we can modify them). What a shame if it was living there the entire time- and the person never encountered the real thing outside.

Notice a few things: the human immune system is not perfect -> some people will only develop partial immunity -> not every vaccine will work for everyone because of this.

You are now still saying it won't always work, and I have to agree, nothing will always work

Unless you want to personalize vaccines for every individual on the planet according to the intricacies of their own immune system, vaccines won't work for everyone.

Alright, you say vaccines will not work for everyone again. I agree

Even if you did do that, there would still be people who couldn't get vaccines or for who it wouldn't work because they have incompetent immune systems (which is why herd immunity is so important).
While I am not sure why you bring this up, I would have to point out that latent infections sort of defeat the herd immunity theory. If a latent infection reactivates it can infect the guy who was depending on herd immunity (by not having the vaccine/immune system competence he figures nobody else will get the disease, so he doesn't need it).

Another point is that random things happen. Your statement on mutations is a perfect example of that and mutations in viral genetic material can occur and cause latent infections or continuing active infections.
yes we agree that viruses and mutations are sort of like love partners...

Look at HIV, it mutates so frequently that creating a feasible vaccine for it has proven to be nearly impossible.

We will need to use something custom for viruses like HIV. One of the bigger problems is the sheer number of virus particles getting lodged in every conceivable tissue. We can design a pretty good vaccine/antibody reaction for the virus and collect up a majority of the circulating active viruses at once, the immune system even does a good job of this on the first go-round. But you can never seem to collect them all, and one of them invariably mutates and you have to start all over again, this time with an even weaker immune system. Having to switch targets all the time (increasingly multiple data storages) takes a toll on the immune system, permanent changes occur, we cannot "erase" the memory for useless data combinations currently that I am aware of.

This varies depending on the virus, the method of reproduction of the genetic material, as well as what parts of that genetic material are included in the vaccine.
right, sometimes we can just put in the envelope proteins and get something that the body can use to fight easily. Big, clumsy viruses with predictable antigenic patterns (especially if they "all" share a common epitope") are likely targets, due to the sheer physics of the operation. I agree, it depends what we put in, what we get out. It isn't always necessary to put in live organisms or even biologically active particles. Good to point out.

As you said, it's possible for viral material to be taken up and reproduced to create a virulent, but that is extremely rare when dealing with attenuated vaccines, as the whole point of attenuation is to prevent that from happening.
right, we would want to remove/damage any genes which appear to contribute to a virulent activity before administering anything to a patient, It sounds good and I agree they do try to do that.

I Will add,
IF we see the raw data in the cell (every strung up DNA base and every bit of stranded RNA), consider that the viral components, whether episomal or included to the host genome, (and sometimes it does both) do more than just take up space there. For example, the action of cutting a chromosome open and inserting a sequence is not to be taken lightly. Viral activity which prys open chromosomal components or influences the cellular cycle and cellular trafficking will absolutely have an effect upon the workload of a cell, and its ability to survive, especially if the virus is re-directing protein synthesis. Also, Mitosis is a very complicated, delicate process, something we do not want any unsanctioned viral activity to be taking place, potentially disrupting stability under these sensitive conditions. Viral presence can lead to mitiotic disasters, uncontrolled divisions, and may increase mitosis frequency overall, aging the cell and increasing the frequency of mutations and potentials for disaster. Anything that unabatedly/uncaringly plays with DNA sequences of your cells is to be avoided if at all possible.

been really fun thanks for taking the time to actually make a helpful post.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does it really matter? Every person in this thread will end up getting every vaccine and give their kids every vaccine possible.

God please take an undergrad immunology class
You seem mad, brah

1. All immunology classes are not created equally. In mine (2011?) we mostly discussed cancer, not viruses. You get out what you put into a class like immunology, since the book and literature is literally endless, one can discuss any number of viable topics.

2. You knew that already, therefore, your post is not actually seriously telling me to go take a class which you know is limitlessly variable. Instead, You are feeling threatened/intimidated by my words, unable to find any flaw with it and/or never read it, and the knee jerk response in that situation is to undermine me with your superior position of power/authority. To make up for this terrible composure, I suggest you create a series of quotes, as I did, and the man before me, to which you apply superior knowledge (if there is any) which facilitate the learning of individuals which grace these pages, which is the POINT of tthese pages, rather than undermine and depreciate what you pretend to understand by using positions of power and haughty attitude.

When you wish to become a king, you must be seen to serve. Any king who would attack a person of lesser power just because they can, without just cause, is a tyrant. Is that how you wish to be seen? Doctors should use each POSTING for the GOOD of others, and if you have nothing nice to say or information to add to a thread that others can use, what is it then? Ashamed, I would be, if I were a doctor under those circumstances. Enlighten others; don't offhandedly tell them "go take a class", especially if you don't even know what sort of background they have, what kind of physician are you? An assuming one. Untouchable, all knowing, finger pointer, raising his post count just like 99% of the other internet jackasses.

Does it really matter? Every person in this thread will end up getting every vaccine and give their kids every vaccine possible.

was this directed at me?

I agree, and it was never my intention to suggest otherwise. I only made a short, potentially defensible/controversial posting which attracted word jousters, which might be seen as 'trolling' for medical discussions, inviting alternative conceptualizations or point of views (sigh words) if there are any available. It also weeds out those who just like to raise their post count. Internet forums are... entertainment, and occasionally you can learn something. But do not depend on the internet for information. You might wind up using apple cider on a skin wart. Sometimes I think computer viruses are trying to help their biological kin, lol.

Now to make this post useful for my fan club. Oh you guys are going to hate me when I say this. Curse words, like F@#$ take up space, right? You can say the same sentence with and without the word F@#$. When you say it with the curse word, it takes longer to say. You spend more time saying a sentence with the word F@#$. Therefore, F@#$ is a parasite. A virus, if you want. It, like a virus, encodes a message where there should not be a message. It takes up space where it doesn't need to be. You spend some number X additional calories (it saps energy) and Y additional units of time (it steals your time). And it conveys a verbal meaning- it has an influence on the idea or words received by whoever hears it, potentially spreading the useless, unnecessary, time waster. Am I kidding? Is he joking? Are you entertained?

In that case, a lot of people in America need to say F*** more often, to help with the obesity epidemic :p
Its funny I was thinking as I writing "F*** for fatloss!" ahahaha

Last edited:
In that case, a lot of people in America need to say F*** more often, to help with the obesity epidemic :p

This thread has been on the first page for ~1 month, and every single time I saw it, until today, I read it as:

"How do you explain to family members that vacations aren't going to kill you."

I had to explain to a physician that vaccines aren't going to kill you after he refused a flu vaccine....which he told me that they implant tracking devices for the government to follow you...I walked away after that

I had a patient tell me that in med school. He did get his pneumovax though. Just not the flu shot because of the tracking devices, of course.

This thread has been on the first page for ~1 month, and every single time I saw it, until today, I read it as:

"How do you explain to family members that vacations aren't going to kill you."

I would suggest they get vaccinated before going to a country with endemic diseases (polio, Hepatitis A, etc.) so their vacation to that country doesn't kill them.

@kingtal0n might be the most dedicated troll in SDN history.

Makes me nostalgic for streampaw.

oh, a useful post and discussion might ensue? I will try not to disappoint you,

nuff said? /thread I agree, it can lead to latent infection.

Well, I should hope not! I agree, good.

I propose you consider what data storage entails for a biological system. If you think there is an infinite capacity to memorize and storage data, then you are wrong. Surely you do not think the production of antibodies is a mere 10bytes or other insignificant quantity. The number of possible combinations of antigenic carboxy-nitro complexes is staggering. Yes, injecting an attenuated virus/bacteria/other containing a specific combination of exterior antigens is beneficial for the organism IF the organism can actually use that data to protect itself, else, this is false data. Furthermore if this organism/data has a possibility of also permanently infecting or otherwise altering and/or increasing the workload at the cellular level of DNA management and upkeep, this is additional risk we will include in our calculations for whether or not the vaccine is a viable solution at that time. I agree with the above, with the addition that for every antibody/antigen taken to cellular memory is taking up valuable space, and that capacity is limited.

There are instances where antibodies produced by the human body will mimic self antigens and cause serious health issues. For example, Rheumatic fever. One of the many bacterial infections I was well acquainted with during undergrad courses such as medical bacteriology and I am surprised you forgot about it as an example of antibody cross-reaction (so thought to be "mimicry") as punishment for not giving the patient a full course of penicillin. I still laugh that strep is like the only bacteria that doesn't think humans are going to try Penicillin.

1. I didn't write any of the above (I know you know, I am just alerting readers). This is from the paper I posted at random (I said it was random just to say what you said in the very first quote above). Keep in mind it was a random paper, 1 of 80,000 or whatever that probably say something pretty similar I would venture a guess.
2. now that everyone is on the same page, what does "not even natural varicella induces total immunity in every individual" have any contextual argument with the quote I originally posted? The only thing I can think of is, this strengths the approach that vaccines won't work. Which is against them, are you against vaccines? why are you quoting this and bringing it up? I must agree, not even wild varicella might induce total immunity.

There can be many different combinations of antigenic epitopes with various properties... cat and mouse ensues. Many parasites employ this tactic, like Malaria. Malaria loves to change its antigenic property, always one step ahead of the immune system. Thats a drastic case but serves an interesting example.

you continue some quotes,

more antivaccine quotes from you, I guess you are positioned against them? I nether agree nor disagree with the above quote from the paper. I think an antibody can be designed that will achieve a much higher yield/efficacy than any naturally produced one.

You bolded this from that same paper. It says that, because zoster exists, humans probably can never become immune to VZV. Complete immunity can never be achieved. Which seems to be a guess on behalf of the author, and one that I also disagree with. I say: you can model a virus, and predict all or some of it's combinations, and add knowns, and then vaccinate for those most probable ones, thereby reducing the confidence interval for incorrect data being applied to biological storage banks for antibody production (aka: incorrect antibody design plans). The other aspect of the statement involves the latent infection- which we already know can get there either by the vaccine or the actual virus. So if somebody has it already living inside their cells, it can reactivate. We knew that, and I agree with that, and I think that one day we will be able to remove the infection, possibly using very similar processes to those used to infect the cell to begin with (human designed virus). And the severity of re-activated latent genes will completely depend upon the particular virus (whatever its genes have in store, which can be anything we want now that we can modify them). What a shame if it was living there the entire time- and the person never encountered the real thing outside.

You are now still saying it won't always work, and I have to agree, nothing will always work

Alright, you say vaccines will not work for everyone again. I agree

While I am not sure why you bring this up, I would have to point out that latent infections sort of defeat the herd immunity theory. If a latent infection reactivates it can infect the guy who was depending on herd immunity (by not having the vaccine/immune system competence he figures nobody else will get the disease, so he doesn't need it).

yes we agree that viruses and mutations are sort of like love partners...

We will need to use something custom for viruses like HIV. One of the bigger problems is the sheer number of virus particles getting lodged in every conceivable tissue. We can design a pretty good vaccine/antibody reaction for the virus and collect up a majority of the circulating active viruses at once, the immune system even does a good job of this on the first go-round. But you can never seem to collect them all, and one of them invariably mutates and you have to start all over again, this time with an even weaker immune system. Having to switch targets all the time (increasingly multiple data storages) takes a toll on the immune system, permanent changes occur, we cannot "erase" the memory for useless data combinations currently that I am aware of.

right, sometimes we can just put in the envelope proteins and get something that the body can use to fight easily. Big, clumsy viruses with predictable antigenic patterns (especially if they "all" share a common epitope") are likely targets, due to the sheer physics of the operation. I agree, it depends what we put in, what we get out. It isn't always necessary to put in live organisms or even biologically active particles. Good to point out.

right, we would want to remove/damage any genes which appear to contribute to a virulent activity before administering anything to a patient, It sounds good and I agree they do try to do that.

I Will add,
IF we see the raw data in the cell (every strung up DNA base and every bit of stranded RNA), consider that the viral components, whether episomal or included to the host genome, (and sometimes it does both) do more than just take up space there. For example, the action of cutting a chromosome open and inserting a sequence is not to be taken lightly. Viral activity which prys open chromosomal components or influences the cellular cycle and cellular trafficking will absolutely have an effect upon the workload of a cell, and its ability to survive, especially if the virus is re-directing protein synthesis. Also, Mitosis is a very complicated, delicate process, something we do not want any unsanctioned viral activity to be taking place, potentially disrupting stability under these sensitive conditions. Viral presence can lead to mitiotic disasters, uncontrolled divisions, and may increase mitosis frequency overall, aging the cell and increasing the frequency of mutations and potentials for disaster. Anything that unabatedly/uncaringly plays with DNA sequences of your cells is to be avoided if at all possible.

been really fun thanks for taking the time to actually make a helpful post.

86d.gif

But even more foolish!

hey now, be fair. I am only seeking to improve the debate skills of online forum users in topics where I can provide an enthralling performance that will keep the learning going, as opposed to the more common variety of internet debate which includes name calling and undermining (setting a good example for a proper reply to topic discussion). Medical student applicants AND doctors both alike need to read a LOT of information on a daily basis, a book a day perhaps (on subjects with which you are already familiar). The number of words/paragraphs I posted is a mere sliver, and a minimum quantity no less (I really typed out no more than necessary and even went back, removed words to make it shorter)- A pittance, if you will, of information compared to what we should be exposed to on a daily basis, and for a topic worthy of discussion in my humble opinion.

I would stop to help anyone I see broke down on the road. My written exchanges contain no harsh language or derogatory remarks towards other users. And the topic overall that I was originally accused of (they get a free ride / can it cause a latent infection: yes) was proven to be accurate several times. All in all I would say it were successful exchange of information and a bunch of forum readers have ascertained a novel point of view for virus related activities.

Last edited:
We can't argue with you when you don't even have a basic understanding of the facts

Reactions: 4 users
I would stop to help anyone I see broke down on the road.

Except when they asked you to help change their tire, you would instead draw them a picture of the batmobile and insist you had been helpful.

The fidelity and actions of the immune system absolutely depends upon workload; the higher the workload (more diseases/infections/parasites per unit time) the more likely you are so succumb to something that would normally not be an issue. It is therefore imperative we maintain a minimum to our latent infections.
I'd like any evidence for this, please. Note: I am aware what a latent infection is, and I am aware that multiple active infections can cause issues with your immune system, but I have yet to see any evidence presented stating that having latent, inactive infections is detrimental to the rest of your immune function.

everybody is concerned with symptoms, doctors treating symptoms and trying to prevent symptoms, yet nobody is concerned with the actual infection which persists for life and appears unavoidable (i.e. we have bigger problems so lets just ignore it, since we found a way to eliminate the symptoms who cares if the infection persists)
Yes. I am concerned with symptoms. That's why I wouldn't bother personally getting a vaccination for cytomegalovirus, for example...because even though I'm super likely to get it (probably already have it), I'm not going to have any symptoms and so I don't give a flying circus whether it takes up residence in my cells.
so if I had fifty or one hundred different vaccines for viruses and bacteria all over the world, most of which you would never encounter, you would want all 50 or 100 of them? Hell no
Hell yes, yes I would. In a heartbeat. I want ALL the vaccinations that the healthcare system is willing to give me for free or cheap, and many that I'd be willing to pay a decent bit for.
My immune system is awesome. It can do amazing things. But it does that by putting in prep work...it's basically like a student spending every day cramming for an exam. I'm not worried about 'overloading' it, because do you know what my immune system spends its time doing? Making up random possible antigens so that maybe, if it memorizes thousands and thousands of factoids, it will be able to recognize that one crucial keyword on the test. It's already spending its time 'loading up' and learning to recognize as many things as possible. All I'm doing with a vaccine regimen is giving it First Aid 2016 and giving it a more useful framework to direct its energies. And in return, I avoid awful illnesses. Win/win.

4. The original point of my original post: If it is unlikely you will ever encounter a given pathogen during your lifespan, it is unwise to vaccinate yourself for it just because you can, especially if it will cause a latent infection which persist for life.
True, but if the odds of encountering it are even slightly higher than the tiny odds of it causing you an issue, it becomes wise.
And if the only reason your odds of encountering said infection are lower than 90 effing percent is because the rest of the population went ahead and got the vaccine, you're just freeloading off everyone else's better decisions. It's fine to recognize that you are able to avoid vaccination due to herd immunity, but you can't then start going around saying that everyone would be better off avoiding vaccination...because the only reason that was a viable option for anyone in the first place is because most people are doing the opposite.

Last edited:
thanks for the post. Always appreciate someone who takes the time to share thoughts.

I'd like any evidence for this, please. Note: I am aware what a latent infection is, and I am aware that multiple active infections can cause issues with your immune system, but I have yet to see any evidence presented stating that having latent, inactive infections is detrimental to the rest of your immune function.
The original point/post was simply: some vaccines allow viral genes access to human cells. Whether this is "detrimental" in your mind is a point of view, there is no true evidence that individuals which lack viral genes, say, in their dorsal root ganglion, are any better/more athletic or more coordinated because of it (the job of the dorsal root ganglion is... somewhat essential to movement on some levels). However it should be safe to say that there is no benefit to having viral genes added to our gene pool (At least until we modify those genes to produce useful proteins instead of viral counterparts- think of future applications for the same "vessel"). That goes against everything I've learned about cellular biology (which is generally, simply: the less mess, the better). It is a simple question of whether or not you think you can tell how much "worse off" you are with... many asymptomatic infections, as opposed to how much you do not notice them ( how much larger we are that we do not feel the tiny drains individually ). How many infection types exist where the human body's resources are drained off gradually/unsuspectingly and persist without us knowing (tape worms die of old age without us knowing?). You may casually wave your hand and say "my body can fight it np" but the the truth is, we do not know what sort of long term health affects each seemingly insignificant infection carries along with it, and as I already pointed out many viral counterparts exist within human cells unknowingly (viral genes that are known to have been involved with our genes previously along the course of human evolution; there have been "conserved stretches of bases / remnants of genes inactive" many of which science has been unable to identify fully but suspect viral involvement). In short, we have no clue what is going on, and to say that just because one symptom is avoided (i.e. the nasty effects of wild type varicella infection thanks to attenuated vaccination) that it is a "done deal" is foolish; A true "cure" for example might involve a genetic change to our own cells which blocks access completely or even removes the virus as it slices/dices any viral products as they are formed, excising the foreign DNA which the human host cell is incapable of doing by itself normally.

Yes. I am concerned with symptoms. That's why I wouldn't bother personally getting a vaccination for cytomegalovirus, for example...because even though I'm super likely to get it (probably already have it), I'm not going to have any symptoms and so I don't give a flying circus whether it takes up residence in my cells.

This is, and will remain, a point of view only. There is no proof that latent infections are "non hostile" or that they do not subtract from our life/quality health somehow. I feel that in the coming years medicine will unravel quite a few shocking details surrounding the cell division states and age/longevity concerning all manner of infection (not just virus related). Consider that for each white blood cell which dies to engulf a bacterium (neutrophil) is one more white blood cell your body must produce, one more cell division which didn't need to occur if you never encountered that invader. You can't think that there is an unlimited supply of cells, after all? And I will lead that thought into another one: fungal spores and immune clearance in patients with aids/immune disorders. Why is normal air so dangerous to immunocompromised individuals? Is it because the sheer number of "fungal trash" which must be taken up by the immune system is overwhelming after a certain point? And that point depends upon: immune system production of viable, competent cells (limited cell divisions) vs raw quantity and potential of any number of "invaders". Next, consider a normal, healthy individual which is exposed to fungal spores (aspergillus if you want). At first, there is generally no symptom in healthy persons living with that fungus. The fungus is taken up, destroyed, removed by the healthy immune system. However, keep the healthy person exposed for long term... what eventually happens? Eventually, the immune system is overwhelmed, if the invaders are persistent enough (somebody living with the mold and doesn't know it). The tipping point occurs even in healthy individuals because eventually, the immune system can no longer keep up with the demand (for any reason, perhaps they are not eating enough, perhaps they acquire another infection which diverts attention, and so forth). So lets review these two situations together: both healthy, and immunocompromised individuals may succumb to something as relative/common as fungal spores, found in normal air, and it just takes more fungal spores to depress the healthy persons all else being equal. Both situations arise because of the particular invader; it just does not present any symptoms immediately in the healthier persons. This tells us a few things, the first is, the less fungus we are exposed to, the better, because it means more quantity of immune cells are free to deal with other invaders. In other words, the less infections per unit time, the better for immune cell populations (standing army is limited). The second thing is, even something that seems harmless can become an overwhelming, deadly force in the right situation (due to limited supply of immune cells!). The third tie previous examples together: supplies are limited, as seen in compromised individuals which succumb only faster to the same inoculation quantity, the difference isn't seen at the level of the invader (its the same fungus in both examples) just one human body example has fewer supply of immune cells to deal with the problem (supply is limited!). You should be able to see now how production/supply on a grand level (white blood cells are large objects in the scope of what lies inside them) has an overall impact on health (nothing is limitless).

Hell yes, yes I would. In a heartbeat. I want ALL the vaccinations that the healthcare system is willing to give me for free or cheap, and many that I'd be willing to pay a decent bit for.
It is ignorance to think that every new thing science creates is worth injecting to your body. The working, moving parts of our cells are only just beginning to be understood in their entirety. How many "new drugs" does science create which seem great at first, then gradually the long term effects are realized and that population of individuals become examples in books of scientific accidents. I am sure you can think of some examples. With that I make my reasoning, my scientific perspective: only inject those things which you either have no choice in the matter, or, you are confident that you fully understand the mechanisms and internal workings involved and absolutely have no other option. I say the same thing about surgery: never cut a body open unless you have no better options.

My immune system is awesome. It can do amazing things. But it does that by putting in prep work...it's basically like a student spending every day cramming for an exam. I'm not worried about 'overloading' it, because do you know what my immune system spends its time doing? Making up random possible antigens so that maybe, if it memorizes thousands and thousands of factoids, it will be able to recognize that one crucial keyword on the test. It's already spending its time 'loading up' and learning to recognize as many things as possible. All I'm doing with a vaccine regimen is giving it First Aid 2016 and giving it a more useful framework to direct its energies. And in return, I avoid awful illnesses. Win/win.

It is nice that you have a thought process which supplements your own feelings and abilities, and it may even serve you in ways you do not yet understand. However, there are some ideas which you may wish to add to the mix and are unavoidable in todays age. The first is, the processes of our bodies work in more or less complete darkness. Nearly every interaction is touch based, receptors with designs, made by genes where just one gene may have multiple copies and then ten or fifteen different end products depending upon the splicing and cell specialization and location. In other words, it is not possible to have a realistic view of what the body is actually doing, no matter how smart you think you are, there are too many interactions taking place in dark spaces for us to consider all at once. The best way, is often to just leave it alone, don't inject anything and don't make an unnatural problem for your body which it was not expecting or capable of handling. The second is a mere supplemental detail, that is, children may develop allergies when they are not allowed to "become infected by local/natural invaders" and develop a natural immunity to local parasitic/general invader phenomena. That is to say, it appears our immune systems come "pre-programmed" for a certain level of early learning "from the factory" and to try and go outside of this programming (either less than, or more than) has consequences. When we put these two ideas together it re-emphasizes the general plan of "letting nature take its course if possible", and leaving the system to work normally if that is an option.

True, but if the odds of encountering it are even slightly higher than the tiny odds of it causing you an issue, it becomes wise.
And if the only reason your odds of encountering said infection are lower than 90 effing percent is because the rest of the population went ahead and got the vaccine, you're just freeloading off everyone else's better decisions. It's fine to recognize that you are able to avoid vaccination due to herd immunity, but you can't then start going around saying that everyone would be better off avoiding vaccination...because the only reason that was a viable option for anyone in the first place is because most people are doing the opposite.

At the student level we are more concerned with the book knowledge, at first, than the practical application of that knowledge, which fine tunes and may compress our understanding so that we can use it in a short time frame to apply it quickly and easily to those in need; which is the opposite of the original process of learning (you start with learning -> then apply what you learn). In other words, experience will "teach us" just like the book does, except that experience relates current time and place to whatever the current issue is, as opposed to being able to theorize and spend all day thinking of new possibilities for treatment or alternative therapies (the patient needs to feel better NOW, not in ten years after we fully divulge the workings of whatever is in question). With respect to vaccination, from the student point of view, the biological system is a delicate, intricate machine which I would feel much better leaving alone (no new infections if possible). An antibody might not seem like much, but I assure you that a human body which must produce fifteen different kinds of antibodies and floods the tissues with these things is not going to be as happy as one without all the extra fuss/mess, all else being equal. From the doctor perspective, the book more or less takes a back seat and you work with whatever you have in front of you to work with, make due with what is tried and true, the most likely method for success isn't always the best method by the book details. So we have to be careful when discussing something that has both feet in the water: on the one hand, a vaccine can be a powerful antidote when used correctly, helping humans to live even with a latent infection and so forth (if it works, tried and true, we use it until something better happens). On the book end, we recognize that the virus needs to be not only defeated symptom wise; but also genetically prevalent solutions still need to be filed which prevent viral genes from living within human cells if possible, or anywhere for that matter. Consider that viral genes require upkeep, and resources to maintain. Where do you think those resources are coming from? Who do you think is maintaining those viral genes? The virus is coding for assistance, it will encode for what it needs to upkeep itself, and it may hijack anything it can to that end. You might not notice the drain from wayyy up there in your brain, but I assure you, nothing is free.

Finally,
couple of erratas I should probably add to what I've posted to help it make more sense.

1. where my persona states,"I think like a child, I type like a child", this is like scripture for internet lessons (rules of the internet, if you will permit the expression). Kingtal0n was born with the internet and have been part of it since creation, and by watching it grow from infancy I am able to see many "traps" others may be unaware of. I meant strictly in the sense of online discussion topics which children may have access to (this is a public forum after all). I did not mean that if you meet me, I will be/act as a child would, as all the rules change in person (you can look around to see if any children are watching and then act like an animal if you want). Therefore, discussion on the internet is in the sense of purity and innocence, unless it is private (feel free to message me for more indepth discussions)
2. the internet is a cruel place. And it seems as though some very bad habits have been spreading unfortunately. In the recent years, I have noted a surge in 'troll' behavior taking root in intelligent minds. Many have become 'trolls' without realizing it. And so I am going to help us see the light by pointing out the three major rules of posting online, to avoid accidentally becoming a 'troll' unwittingly.

rule#1: If the post you are about to make is somehow demeaning, demoralizing, unhelpful, or otherwise takes up space for no reason (raises post count without helping anybody) then it may be a troll post.
rule#1(said differently): If the post is going to make somebody else feel bad/publicly attempt to humiliate them with or without showing them a proper or perceived correct way of thinking (i.e. telling someone they are wrong without providing a reasoning and then proceeding to "bash" the individual for thinking that way, making it difficult for them to post again and learn) then it may be a troll post.

rule#2: A post should always provide details, even if simply word vomit (it doesn't need to make sense, or even be correct, it just needs to be an attempt on behalf of the debate artist to provide intention, let others read and decide for themselves). The mere attempt at providing a reasonable debate without inflicting emotional intention towards harm (degrading/insults) should be seen as a "innocent action" (anti-troll), where the poster does not attempt to inflict this damage and so neither do the readers and responders (a civilized discussion should ensue).
rule#2(said differently): A poster should convey meaningful information with good intentions towards the readers, and never just provide ultimate negatives ("you are wrong") without providing any details. The goal of the poster is to supplement learning behaviors; simply telling somebody they are wrong and attempting to public shame/humiliate them even with or without taking the time to provide details for why is seen as a troll post (it conveys superiority/holier than thou attitude and demeans the other participant(s)).

rule#3: Correctness is irrelevant; different minds have different ways of thinking. The more people in a room together the less likely they are to come to decision overall. In a public forum, there are an infinite number of ideas available to both supplement and disagree with any number of concepts; it is therefore impossible to expect every person to always agree with everything you type as a user. That said, if the post you are about to make attempts to shame or humiliates those who do not think the same way as you, it is a troll post. No idea is perfect, no science is perfect, and everything has room for improvement.

If you follow these 3 rules, which I will now summarize: do not attempt to shame/humiliate others, even if they appear wrong at first, (as many did when I first posted that some vaccines give rise to latent infections in my own words), always provide a reasoning for what you are thinking, even if it only makes sense to you, and never assume anything about anyone, always give others the ability to respond and learn, even if it is from their own mistakes. I was honestly surprised at the amount of name calling and jeers/insulting going on in this kind of forum, especially from those of "higher authority". It was shocking and lead to much thought about what sort of effects internet use, specifically mass communication venues such as internet forums, are doing to responsible minds. A long time ago I realized the less I have to do with the internet, the better.

Last edited:
Except when they asked you to help change their tire, you would instead draw them a picture of the batmobile and insist you had been helpful.

such is the way of a master. The karate kid asks to learn how to sweep and the master gives him a broom. Man must learn to fish himself, and the master's job is to supplement the process, not necessarily do the work for him.

FWIW here is what really happens when I see the flat tire issue arise. First, I instruct the individual about safe placement of the jack. The pinch weld is often used, and location is usually clearly evident by the auto manufacturer. I warn the user about the dangers of "scissor jacks" ( they are notoriously easy to misuse ) and the cosmetic aspect of the frame/pinch weld. To continue, I tell them never put their hands or feet under the vehicle so that in the event the jack fails, they do not suffer injury.

Next, I make sure they know to break the lugs loose first. I watch them make the attempt, and then assist if necessary. Again, I do not do anything that I think somebody can do for themselves. The same goes for math tutor work in my part time- I never do the math for the user, always let them work it out for best results. I digress, back to the tire. Once the lugs are loose, jack is placed, I watch them lift the car. I show any tricks I have for the tools at hand for raising and keeping the vehicle clean (use gloves). When the vehicle is up high enough, carefully the user will remove the last of the lugs, I show them the sit-on-the-tire trick and help if necessary, button everything up good to go. Sure I've changed tires for some women, but I still instruct them on proper jack use and safety issues. I can assist with virtually any auto issue, including restoration and full electronics/trigger wheels/fuel injector phasing/ignition timing and programming for fuel and spark sequence if necessary, and my advice and knowledge is often seen as "non-routine/standard" due to my intimate understanding of how engines and transmissions work. Indeed I face the same "crowd of accusations" on a regular basis from typical-internet common-thought auto owners around the world, until they get to know and understand my reasoning are founded in the basic understanding of how things work, and not just what "everybody else uses or does/says".

When it comes to practical application, I am far less wordy and more to the point of action, if not precision. This being an internet forum, there is little action to take, so I am stuck with wordy. I hope you can understand how somebody can be entirely different in type-text with respect to book knowledge and conceptualizations, vs actual experience and getting the job done.

Last edited:
such is the way of a master. The karate kid asks to learn how to sweep and the master gives him a broom. Man must learn to fish himself, and the master's job is to supplement the process, not necessarily do the work for him.

FWIW here is what really happens when I see the flat tire issue arise. First, I instruct the individual about safe placement of the jack. The pinch weld is often used, and location is usually clearly evident by the auto manufacturer. I warn the user about the dangers of "scissor jacks" ( they are notoriously easy to misuse ) and the cosmetic aspect of the frame/pinch weld. To continue, I tell them never put their hands or feet under the vehicle so that in the event the jack fails, they do not suffer injury.

Next, I make sure they know to break the lugs loose first. I watch them make the attempt, and then assist if necessary. Again, I do not do anything that I think somebody can do for themselves. The same goes for math tutor work in my part time- I never do the math for the user, always let them work it out for best results. I digress, back to the tire. Once the lugs are loose, jack is placed, I watch them lift the car. I show any tricks I have for the tools at hand for raising and keeping the vehicle clean (use gloves). When the vehicle is up high enough, carefully the user will remove the last of the lugs, I show them the sit-on-the-tire trick and help if necessary, button everything up good to go. Sure I've changed tires for some women, but I still instruct them on proper jack use and safety issues. I can assist with virtually any auto issue, including restoration and full electronics/trigger wheels/fuel injector phasing/ignition timing and programming for fuel and spark sequence if necessary, and my advice and knowledge is often seen as "non-routine/standard" due to my intimate understanding of how engines and transmissions work. Indeed I face the same "crowd of accusations" on a regular basis from typical-internet common-thought auto owners around the world, until they get to know and understand my reasoning are founded in the basic understanding of how things work, and not just what "everybody else uses or does/says".

When it comes to practical application, I am far less wordy and more to the point of action, if not precision. This being an internet forum, there is little action to take, so I am stuck with wordy. I hope you can understand how somebody can be entirely different in type-text with respect to book knowledge and conceptualizations, vs actual experience and getting the job done.

You're likely just manic. It's that simple. You're a reasonably effective troll, but your value stops there.

I can almost certainly outlift you, to boot.

Godspeed.

You're likely just manic. It's that simple. You're a reasonably effective troll, but your value stops there.

I can almost certainly outlift you, to boot.

Godspeed.

and you are jealous of my mania.

Strength is meaningless. You can buy strength and size at the corner store for $28 a bottle. The true art of lifting is in the building of connective tissues while maintaining flexibility- bone, collagenous fibers, filaments, and accumulating a repertoire of metabolic coefficients which enact a state of readiness.

4000 posts huh? That must be a proud moment for you and your family, knowing where you spent all that time, dedicated to making posts like that one. How useful are your other actions? Is that any indication of where your mind is? Posting online in attempt to make others feel bad- is an acquired taste of evil, shows how you feel about yourself.

364,277 trolls are trying to make people feel bad on the internet

Last edited:
and you are jealous of my mania.

Strength is meaningless. You can buy strength and size at the corner store for $28 a bottle. The true art of lifting is in the building of connective tissues while maintaining flexibility- bone, collagenous fibers, filaments, and accumulating a repertoire of metabolic coefficients which enact a state of readiness.

4000 posts huh? That must be a proud moment for you and your family, knowing where you spent all that time, dedicated to making posts like that one. How useful are your other actions? Is that any indication of where your mind is? Posting online in attempt to make others feel bad- is an acquired taste of evil, shows how you feel about yourself.

364,277 trolls are trying to make people feel bad on the internet

Lithium is an oldie but goodie.