How do you explain to family members that vaccinations aren't going to kill you.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think a good approach is starting from the parent's point of view. Ask what they know about the vaccine. You need to understand their mindset before you can try to educate and change that mindset. And if it doesn't happen at the 12 month visit and they refuse the MMR or varicella, give them patient-friendly information to read and revisit the discussion at the 15 month visit. I really don't like "scare tactics" but it's important to discuss the dangers of having the diseases that the vaccines prevent against.

This. If you want to "win" an argument with an anti-vaxxer you have to figure out why they have the beliefs they do, take the time to understand the emotional side of their argument, and gently talk to them about why that idea is wrong and give plenty of reassurance as to why vaccines should be given. You have to let them think they've come to the proper conclusion themselves. Unfortunately, I don't think there is really enough time to do that with most patients due to time constraints, and even then many of them will still hold onto their anti-vax views. I have been lucky enough to get a few anti-vaxxers to change their opinions on the subject by addressing the emotional fears they had associated with vaccines, but it took a long time to do and required A LOT of patience.

We've had 3 lectures on vaccines and not a single one mentioned any negatives

Then your school is doing a poor job of teaching the "entire picture".

This thread seems like an appropriate place to celebrate the news.

View attachment 209471

"Before a separate, worldwide vaccination drive against measles began in the 1980s, the disease caused 2.6 million deaths a year worldwide - 12,000 of them in the Americas. Measles is the fifth vaccine-preventable disease to be eliminated in the Americas--after smallpox in 1971, poliomyelitis in 1994, and rubella and congenital rubella syndrome in 2015."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-americas-are-now-measles-free/

It is great news, but I can't tell you how many anti-vaxxers I've seen post that article or a similar one to FB and then say "If the anti-vaccine movement is so horrible then how did we eradicate measles?!?!" I feel like those articles are so misleading with their headlines and will do more harm than good. People don't understand that just because we don't have endemic measles anymore doesn't mean we've totally eliminated the disease:

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...4/the-americas-is-now-officially-measles-free

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Excellent post, Stagg! The anti-vaxxers will no doubt be unimpressed with this news, even though they cause this woman's death:

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/woman-dies-measles-first-us-death-12-years-n385946

It is great news, but I can't tell you how many anti-vaxxers I've seen post that article or a similar one to FB and then say "If the anti-vaccine movement is so horrible then how did we eradicate measles?!?!" I feel like those articles are so misleading with their headlines and will do more harm than good. People don't understand that just because we don't have endemic measles anymore doesn't mean we've totally eliminated the disease:

Reactions: 1 user
I agree a vaccine is an important concept, used correctly. Depending how it is delivered, packaged, and how it is retained in the body, will influence how I feel about "dispersing with enthusiasm". Some vaccines simply allow the virus safe passage to secure locations in the body, where it can live. That is not the type of thing I would do willingly to myself, if it wasn't absolutely necessary. Not all vaccines work that way thankfully. Some just boost antibody production, for instance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree a vaccine is an important concept, used correctly. Depending how it is delivered, packaged, and how it is retained in the body, will influence how I feel about "dispersing with enthusiasm". Some vaccines simply allow the virus safe passage to secure locations in the body, where it can live. That is not the type of thing I would do willingly to myself, if it wasn't absolutely necessary. Not all vaccines work that way thankfully. Some just boost antibody production, for instance.
What? As a lowly premed I've never heard of this... sounds scary lol

I hope you actually learn about vaccinations before you're allowed to counsel patients on them so that you don't spread misinformation and nonsense.

Reactions: 2 users
Some vaccines simply allow the virus safe passage to secure locations in the body,
vjBBtROR.jpeg

Please restrain your ignorance of immunology and vaccinology. I can just hear my Immunologist faculty colleague frothing at the mouth.

Go look up "neutralizing antibodies"
"Some just boost antibody production, for instance."

Go look up "attenuated vaccines"
Some vaccines simply allow the virus safe passage to secure locations in the body, where it can live.

trade your family in for version 2.0?

FmYjcHV.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
wow you all dont know? chicken pox vaccine gives you chicken pox. It actually gives you the virus, if you never had it before. That way, you can have shingles later in life.

Study more. Post less.

wow you all dont know? chicken pox vaccine gives you chicken pox. It actually gives you the virus, if you never had it before. That way, you can have shingles later in life.

Study more. Post less.
It absolutely doesn't give you the chicken pox. Chicken pox is a clinical syndrome. The vaccine exposes you to a form of the virus that will not cause the syndrome. The effect on shingles is still unknown as those who got the vaccine are not yet at the usual shingles age.

The vaccine gives you the virus. The virus gets free, safe passage to the bodies cells, special locations where it wants to live. There, it lives with you for your entire life. The symptoms do not present because the vaccine version of the virus is WEAK and your immune system is supposed to be STRONG at the time of vaccination. That means, that anytime the immune system becomes WEAK later in life, the virus will begin to leave its "safe place" (dorsal root ganglion iirc) and travel through nerves, thus the shingles manifesting itself. This is because the virus is constantly held in check by the immune system, which means that every day, some immune defenses are destroyed/used up to control the virus. It is best to never have come into contact with the virus at all. Only if the situation is present where one might come into contact with it naturally (the real thing) is the vaccine actually desirable, because it allows the immune system to become "acclimated" or "get familiar with" the virus, before encountering the real thing outside the body.

#2 for all you "future doctors" posting ****** gifs, and making fun of peers on the internet, getting together with mob mentality and clowning around those whom you think you are superior to. I have only one thing to say: IS that how a doctor is supposed to act? DO you think if the admission committee finds those posts of you making fun/****** gifs towards others they will think kindly of your actions? Think before you post.

The vaccine gives you the virus. The virus gets free, safe passage to the bodies cells, special locations where it wants to live. There, it lives with you for your entire life. The symptoms do not present because the vaccine version of the virus is WEAK and your immune system is supposed to be STRONG at the time of vaccination. That means, that anytime the immune system becomes WEAK later in life, the virus will begin to leave its "safe place" (dorsal root ganglion iirc) and travel through nerves, thus the shingles manifesting itself. This is because the virus is constantly held in check by the immune system, which means that every day, some immune defenses are destroyed/used up to control the virus. It is best to never have come into contact with the virus at all. Only if the situation is present where one might come into contact with it naturally (the real thing) is the vaccine actually desirable, because it allows the immune system to become "acclimated" or "get familiar with" the virus, before encountering the real thing outside the body.

#2 for all you "future doctors" posting ****** gifs, and making fun of peers on the internet, getting together with mob mentality and clowning around those whom you think you are superior to. I have only one thing to say: IS that how a doctor is supposed to act? DO you think if the admission committee finds those posts of you making fun/****** gifs towards others they will think kindly of your actions? Think before you post.
:troll:

Reactions: 4 users
I, once, tried to very gently say to an anti-vaxxer friend that she shouldn't trust everything she reads online. No personal attacks, nothing else. She immediately blew up, yelling/screaming/crying.

a362aa64594093d144b40577d3dbb489715e3acb1f17faf7049ef68bae46020d_1.jpg

There is no evidence that this is the case with vaccinated individuals. If you disagree, post the studies.

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.-attributed to Mark Twain.

There is zero evidence to date that the vaccine strain in the chicken pox vaccine can cause shingles. And, in fact, there's some data on patients who received the vaccine and later had to undergo immunosuppressive therapies, who did NOT develop reactivation diseases caused normally by the wild type virus.

Now, do something about your ignorance and try taking an immunology class.

Study more. Post less.

We on SDN who have actually studied stuff like this do not suffer fools lightly. And a little pseudoscience and ignorance on the internet goes a long way in harming people.

2 for all you "future doctors" posting ****** gifs, and making fun of peers on the internet, getting together with mob mentality and clowning around those whom you think you are superior to. I have only one thing to say: IS that how a doctor is supposed to act? DO you think if the admission committee finds those posts of you making fun/****** gifs towards others they will think kindly of your actions? Think before you post.

I have several family members that are whako and keep going on about all of the "carcinogens" in vaccines. They are so adamant that my sister is considering not vaccinating my newborn nephew. I try to explain to them that literally all of the data over the past 20 years has shown that vaccines are, in fact, safe but they just dont get it. What do I say to them to help put their minds at ease???
I really think we should pass a law that makes parents criminally liable if their child contracts a vaccine-preventable disease after such a "choice," because it's child neglect, plain and simple.

If you don't give your kid warm clothes and a blanket to ward off the cold and they die of hypothermia, you go to prison. Can't see why we don't treat not giving your kid a vaccine and them dying of measles any different.

Same reason you can keep weapons around children in your home... freedom of choice (even if that choice negatively impacts others).

Firearm related deaths are several of the top 10 causes of injury-related death in children 0-19 years.

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/..._highlighting_unintentional_injury_2011-a.pdf

But a child gets their hands on their parents gun and kills themselves accidentally... no laws punish the parents. Freedom of choice unfortunately does not prevent freedom from ignorance.

Last edited:
But if your kid shoots themselves, aren't there legal consequences to that?

Nope. Most often, no charges are pressed.

I have personally seen probably about 10 or so unintentional firearm related injuries in children (maybe 20 or so self-inflicted), more than half which were fatal. The police do get called, but nothing ever happens.

Same reason you can keep weapons around children in your home... freedom of choice (even if that choice negatively impacts others).

Firearm related deaths are several of the top 10 causes of injury-related death in children 0-19 years.

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/..._highlighting_unintentional_injury_2011-a.pdf

But a child gets their hands on their parents gun and kills themselves accidentally... no laws punish the parents. Freedom of choice unfortunately does not prevent freedom from ignorance.
There are legal consequences in my state of the weapon was not properly stored and secured.

Nope. Most often, no charges are pressed.

I have personally seen probably about 10 or so unintentional firearm related injuries in children (maybe 20 or so self-inflicted), more than half which were fatal. The police do get called, but nothing ever happens.
Huh, seems like that would be different - guess its a state by state issue judging by the post below yours.

Last edited:

It's been about 6 years since I've cared about what an admission committee thinks. And you're talking about things in terms of weak and strong. It's abundantly clear that you don't know wtf you're talking about. This ain't facebook.

It's been about 6 years since I've cared about what an admission committee thinks. And you're talking about things in terms of weak and strong. It's abundantly clear that you don't know wtf you're talking about. This ain't facebook.

Although you can be a bit abrasive, I chuckle to myself at work sometimes at your posts. So blunt and to the point :laugh:

Take your own advice and please provide scientific evidence to back up your claims about vaccines.

It is common knowledge that the viral, genetic material takes up residence inside the spinal nerve of the human body. I have mentioned nor claimed anything outside of the ordinary common knowledge. It's as if I said, "water is wet" and everybody had an uproar about the use of my term "wet".

It is common knowledge that the viral, genetic material takes up residence inside the spinal nerve of the human body. I have mentioned nor claimed anything outside of the ordinary common knowledge. It's as if I said, "water is wet" and everybody had an uproar about the use of my term "wet".

Oh dear god please make it stop...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Here I went and grabbed a random one

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK47446/
“Unless a Vaccine That Does Not Induce Latent Infection Is Developed and Widely Used, Herd Immunity Will Be Required to control diseases due to VZV in addition to personal immunity from the vaccine itself.,” n.d.
“Varicella-Zoster Vaccine - Human Herpesviruses - NCBI Bookshelf.” Accessed October 8, 2016.

how long did that take, lazy posters? It was in the third link, out of 48,300 results in google scholar. All of you should be ashamed of using the computer at this instant, should turn it off and get some exercise, is what I think. Until you learn how to use one.

Whats really happening is, this is a popularity contest. And I have no desire to become popular.

Last edited:
Here I went and grabbed a random one

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK47446/
“Unless a Vaccine That Does Not Induce Latent Infection Is Developed and Widely Used, Herd Immunity Will Be Required to control diseases due to VZV in addition to personal immunity from the vaccine itself.,” n.d.
“Varicella-Zoster Vaccine - Human Herpesviruses - NCBI Bookshelf.” Accessed October 8, 2016.

how long did that take, lazy posters? It was in the third link, out of 48,300 results in google scholar. All of you should be ashamed of using the computer at this instant, should turn it off and get some exercise, is what I think. Until you learn how to use one.

Whats really happening is, this is a popularity contest. And I have no desire to become popular.

Did you actually read the article? It is highly favorable to childhood varicella vaccinations.

" Finally, as yet, no actual increase in the incidence of zoster has been observed in the United States although the CDC is collecting epidemiologic data on the issue. Should an increase in zoster be recognized, however, it can logically be approached by immunization to prevent zoster, as described below."

"Though the approach of routine vaccine regimens for children may require some adjustment, the vaccine safely prevents most cases of clinical varicella, which saves lives, hospitalizations, and resources. Recipients of live vaccine are also at decreased risk to develop zoster."

There is no evidence yet of any increase in shingles in those vaccinated against varicella. A secondary dose of the same vaccination in adults over 60 reduces the rate of zoster outbreak later in life. Additionally, varicella has a higher mortality rate (and affects a younger population) than zoster, so even if you were correct, it would still likely be worth it to protect children.

Your earlier postulation that avoidance of the virus at all is ludicrous. Of course it would be best to avoid viruses all together, but if that were possible then we wouldn't need vaccinations in the first place. You likely aren't old enough to remember actual cases of chicken pox, but in my generation everyone had them. The fact that you can conceive of it as an avoidable virus is due to childhood immunizations. Similarly, my father-in-law spent 6 months in an iron lung for polio as a child. Now, thanks to vaccinations, you will almost certainly never see a case of polio in your career (unless you volunteer on one of the TWO countries that still have wild cases endemic).

Your post are representative of the worst comments on Facebook. It honestly frightens me that you might be giving advice to patients someday.

Now.. since you enjoy them so much. Here is a meme.

antivaxxx.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I was 100% accurate in the general statements of my initial post. We never discussed what was "good or bad". Only that viral genetic material has a general overall plan of attaining access to a cell(s) and spending its time there until ready to move on and infect others. And that is exactly what some vaccine do, as above (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...oing-to-kill-you.1221951/page-2#post-18196761), giving the viral genetic material a free passage to that place they want to live, causing a latent infection where there was none previously. It is a parasite living inside now, taking up resources that the body would have used for itself, causing disruption to the chain of commands given by the nucleus (make this protein sometimes, -not that one), and overall creating extra work for the immune cells which are having to produce extra immune products in order to keep symptoms from presenting in still healthy individuals. A virus is able to evolve like so many other forms of genetic material, towards an infectious trend that may promote spreading by not killing the hosts, at least not at first (think of AIDS and the delay involved) and this particular (zoster virus) is a great example of what lifetimes of configuration can lead to (a permanent, parasitic infection is possible) it is absolutely configured for this typical parasite behavior, to not kill the host while also being able to live there and reproduce until the "ship is sinking" (immune weakening/failure). And giving us little/no options in the mean time, as we currently do not posses the ability to send 'robots' into our cells which can excise and eliminate the actual viral components involved. One day, I hope to change that (probably not with robots though).

If ten vaccines are offered and they all cause a latent infection, do you really think that 10 new latent infections is going to help you live a healthier life? Each new viral infection you acquire is placing a demand on the body's resources and production capacity some how. Genetic material cannot just float around in a cell- it has to constantly be kept up and re-organized and re-produced to stay intact. How many copies of viral genetic material are transcribed from each infected cell, each day, towards this end in a human spinal ganglion infected with the zoster virus? And, what happens when you introduce disorder into an otherwise extremely ordered system which is already under a lot of "disorganization/mutation" pressure caused by the pre-existing conditions of life? Answer: Life will generally become more difficult for the host. This zoster infection does not have a symbiotic relationship with our body, it does not produce or give us anything useful, only more disorder which is what is generally trying to tear us apart to begin with. Second, let us consider the word "vaccine" for a minute. Currently, the zoster "vaccine" is labelled as a vaccine, yet this is something I wish to change eventually as well. I do not consider what we are discussing here (free passage to latent infection) an actual vaccine. Although performs the duties of one; I do not appreciate the fact that the virus is allowed to survive inside the body as part of the consequence of vaccination. I will eventually suggest that we open a new category for vaccines which follow this trend and call them something else, label them as "latent infection vaccinations" or similar, so that there is a distinct difference in our terminology when considering actual vaccines (that cure infection and prevent it) and vaccines which cause infection permanently. Apparently some people cough* cannot tell the difference, the way things are currently, and that is an important distinction to make in my opinion.

cliffs (hinges from my first post):
some vaccine will cause a latent infection, which should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. You would not vaccinate an individual just because he/she doesn't have the infection yet; that is ludicrous, to be handing out permanent infections like that. We only do it when necessary to protect them from the other people that already have the latent infections, until a method is derived for removing it completely from the body. For example, if we send 20 people to the moon to live there for 20 years, and none of them have the zoster virus yet. You would not vaccinate all of them, or even one of them, just for the sake of doing it. They will not encounter the virus there, isolated, unless someone brings it. You would, however, bring the vaccine along just in case somebody has it already and doesn't test positive on Earth, that would be common sense, to have it available yet restrain use until necessary, which was the only point of my original post (common sense when dolling out latent infections). The lack of common sense/self thinking on the internet, combined with the popularity/mob mentality (3 OR 4 PEOPLE says its right/wrong so it must be everyone in the world who also think so) is unsettling.

since you like pictures

Last edited:
I was 100% accurate in the general statements of my initial post. We never discussed what was "good or bad". Only that viral genetic material has a general overall plan of attaining access to a cell(s) and spending its time there until ready to move on and infect others. And that is exactly what some vaccine do, as above (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...oing-to-kill-you.1221951/page-2#post-18196761), giving the viral genetic material a free passage to that place they want to live, causing a latent infection where there was none previously. It is a parasite living inside now, taking up resources that the body would have used for itself, causing disruption to the chain of commands given by the nucleus (make this protein sometimes, -not that one), and overall creating extra work for the immune cells which are having to produce extra immune products in order to keep symptoms from presenting in still healthy individuals. A virus is able to evolve like so many other forms of genetic material, towards an infectious trend that may promote spreading by not killing the hosts, at least not at first (think of AIDS and the delay involved) and this particular (zoster virus) is a great example of what lifetimes of configuration can lead to (a permanent, parasitic infection is possible) it is absolutely configured for this typical parasite behavior, to not kill the host while also being able to live there and reproduce until the "ship is sinking" (immune weakening/failure). And giving us little/no options in the mean time, as we currently do not posses the ability to send 'robots' into our cells which can excise and eliminate the actual viral components involved. One day, I hope to change that (probably not with robots though).

If ten vaccines are offered and they all cause a latent infection, do you really think that 10 new latent infections is going to help you live a healthier life? Each new viral infection you acquire is placing a demand on the body's resources and production capacity some how. Genetic material cannot just float around in a cell- it has to constantly be kept up and re-organized and re-produced to stay intact. How many copies of viral genetic material are transcribed from each infected cell, each day, towards this end in a human spinal ganglion infected with the zoster virus? And, what happens when you introduce disorder into an otherwise extremely ordered system which is already under a lot of "disorganization/mutation" pressure caused by the pre-existing conditions of life? Answer: Life will generally become more difficult for the host. This zoster infection does not have a symbiotic relationship with our body, it does not produce or give us anything useful, only more disorder which is what is generally trying to tear us apart to begin with. Second, let us consider the word "vaccine" for a minute. Currently, the zoster "vaccine" is labelled as a vaccine, yet this is something I wish to change eventually as well. I do not consider what we are discussing here (free passage to latent infection) an actual vaccine. Although performs the duties of one; I do not appreciate the fact that the virus is allowed to survive inside the body as part of the consequence of vaccination. I will eventually suggest that we open a new category for vaccines which follow this trend and call them something else, label them as "latent infection vaccinations" or similar, so that there is a distinct difference in our terminology when considering actual vaccines (that cure infection and prevent it) and vaccines which cause infection permanently. Apparently some people cough* cannot tell the difference, the way things are currently, and that is an important distinction to make in my opinion.

cliffs (hinges from my first post):
some vaccine will cause a latent infection, which should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. You would not vaccinate an individual just because he/she doesn't have the infection yet; that is ludicrous, to be handing out permanent infections like that. We only do it when necessary to protect them from the other people that already have the latent infections, until a method is derived for removing it completely from the body. For example, if we send 20 people to the moon to live there for 20 years, and none of them have the zoster virus yet. You would not vaccinate all of them, or even one of them, just for the sake of doing it. They will not encounter the virus there, isolated, unless someone brings it. You would, however, bring the vaccine along just in case somebody has it already and doesn't test positive on Earth, that would be common sense, to have it available yet restrain use until necessary, which was the only point of my original post (common sense when dolling out latent infections). The lack of common sense/self thinking on the internet, combined with the popularity/mob mentality (3 OR 4 PEOPLE says its right/wrong so it must be everyone in the world who also think so) is unsettling.

Wow, I usually just try to lurk but there's so much wrong with this. I don't even know where to start so I'll just make a list:
1. Viruses are not "parasites".
2. Genetic material cannot "evolve".
3. The varicella vaccine is a just that, a vaccination. This is undisputed in about every definition of the term. What you perceive to be a vaccine is both erroneous and irrelevant.
4. "You would not vaccinate an individual just because he/she doesn't have the infection yet" - I can't even. This just goes to show you do not know what you're talking about. This is the very point of vaccinations. (rabies being a potential exception)
5. Your whole argument is based on the argument that viruses can be avoided. Prior to the vaccine, 95% of people had varicella exposure by age 18.
6. The moon analogy makes no sense. Of course you don't vaccinate against diseases that aren't in the population. Wonder why we stopped polio vaccinations?
7. "The lack of common sense/self thinking on the internet" - The irony here is palpable.

There's more but, realistically, nothing I write is going to change your mind. Your posts lead me to believe that you've done some Wiki reading, seen a bunch of big words, but have no true understanding for their significance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
To the list below add: only the VZV vaccine contains a virus that can cause a latent infection. All other viral vaccines contain attenuated viruses which do not cause latent infections, contain killed virus, or only viral subunits.

And here's what you find when you do a real Pubmed search, AND you actually understand what you're reading:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27551429
"Since the introduction of VZV vaccines, the rates of infection, hospitalizations, and mortality have declined."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27440875
"The continued success of the live attenuated varicella-zoster virus vaccine in preventing varicella-zoster and herpes zoster is well documented,"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25692656
"The adverse events were not different in the control and test groups (P > 0.05). The test live attenuated vaccine was found to be highly immunogenic, safe and comparable to Varilrix used in control arm."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26748161
Safety of Live Attenuated High-Titer Varicella-Zoster Virus Vaccine in Pediatric Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Recipients

Wow, I usually just try to lurk but there's so much wrong with this. I don't even know where to start so I'll just make a list:
1. Viruses are not "parasites".
2. Genetic material cannot "evolve".
3. The varicella vaccine is a just that, a vaccination. This is undisputed in about every definition of the term. What you perceive to be a vaccine is both erroneous and irrelevant.
4. "You would not vaccinate an individual just because he/she doesn't have the infection yet" - I can't even. This just goes to show you do not know what you're talking about. This is the very point of vaccinations. (rabies being a potential exception)
5. Your whole argument is based on the argument that viruses can be avoided. Prior to the vaccine, 95% of people had varicella exposure by age 18.
6. The moon analogy makes no sense. Of course you don't vaccinate against diseases that aren't in the population. Wonder why we stopped polio vaccinations?
7. "The lack of common sense/self thinking on the internet" - The irony here is palpable.

There's more but, realistically, nothing I write is going to change your mind. Your posts lead me to believe that you've done some Wiki reading, seen a bunch of big words, but have no true understanding for their significance.

Reactions: 3 users
@kingtal0n

Let's just pretend that we live in some alternate dimension where everything you've said so far is right (it's not). Have you ever seen an adult get a primary varicella infection? It's far, far worse than shingles and potentially fatal unlike the less concerning infections which occur in childhood. It's why parents would intentionally expose their 4 and 5 years olds to other children with chicken pox and hope they caught it, to prevent the risk of them getting it and dying as an adult. Even if the vaccine did lead to a higher risk of shingles later in life (which there is no evidence that it does right now), I'd much rather a person have shingles and deal with the pain for a few days-weeks than get a primary infection and die.

There's this thing called evidence-based medicine that most doctors use, and this other thing called common sense that everyone should use. The reason you're getting "ganged up on" is because you're using neither, and us physicians and even med students deal with enough patients with these concerns regularly. We don't need people in our own profession spreading these unproven, and frankly BS, rumors.