How do you deal w/this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so I rode a harley davidson sportster today....what a crappy bike

sportster is for girls..

Members don't see this ad.

so I rode a harley davidson sportster today....what a crappy bike

Most Harley guys don't even consider a sportster a real Harley....The 2009 bikes just came out.....

You can't pay for that kind of quality time! He'll let you ask for her hand if you change his diapers sincerely. :smuggrin:

Trust me, when you are old you would rather have a cute nurse take care of you. So you don't qualify.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust me, when you are old you would rather have a cute nurse take care of you. So you don't qualify.
Whatever. :rolleyes: Go stroke Daddy Dearest's beloved family jewels, because that's all that you want anyway.

Ok slick. Enlighten us pharmers on how to make a professional call on when it is/isn't appropriate to turn away a patient...

But go slow, because I have't refilled my Memantine script in a while...

I will go slow for you...only because of all the radioactive isotopes bouncing around your head.

Maybe you can put his lovely family jewels in formaldehyde for safe keeping after you pull the plugs.

Pull the plug? Your bf should be good at that.
You're not allowed to be a cohort of my boyfriend. He only pulls plugs when I say so!!! and you aren't getting my approval to marry someone for money. That's just sick!

and you aren't getting my approval to marry someone for money. That's just sick!

I sense a bit of jealousy here. You are not marrying for money only because there's no money to marry into. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know everything....

Oh good! Since you mentioned Namenda earlier, can you tell us if it has any activity against type A strains of influenza, its baseball (golf) cap-like chemical structure being so similar to Symmetrel and Flumadine?

Oh good! Since you mentioned Namenda earlier, can you tell us if it has any activity against type A strains of influenza, its baseball (golf) cap-like chemical structure being so similar to Symmetrel and Flumadine?
Why would you want to use that? The other two have generics. Namenda is god-awful expensive!

Too bad TexasSuxs got banned. Where's MountainPharmD?

Poor guy. It is like Old Timer just lost a good friend.

Hey all, I've been reading through this thread and thought of a dilemma that did not seem to be addressed (at least I couldn't find it on here, so sorry if it has been discussed... this thread is looonnnngg!).

One side to this argument is that a professional will remain "professional" and do their job at whatever cost. The other side's argument is that they shouldn't be put upon and disprespected by uncaring customers and corporations.

But what if you do not want to stay, not because of selfishness, but because your 10 year old is waiting at the Little League field for you to pick him up. And it's 6:59, and you need to be there at 7:15, and it's too late to call someone else because customers were not thoughtful enough to come in and try to get their prescription filled before 6:58, and it's going to be dark soon, and oh god... you get my point!

Some people here seem to place remaining professional above all else, but what would they do in this situation? A lot of the opinions here seem to be inflexible; you either are professional or you're not. But I'm wondering, at what cost?

I'm curious to know what people think. I am going to be starting school at MCPHS in September and never knew this was such a problem.

Hey all, I've been reading through this thread and thought of a dilemma that did not seem to be addressed (at least I couldn't find it on here, so sorry if it has been discussed... this thread is looonnnngg!).

One side to this argument is that a professional will remain "professional" and do their job at whatever cost. The other side's argument is that they shouldn't be put upon and disprespected by uncaring customers and corporations.

But what if you do not want to stay, not because of selfishness, but because your 10 year old is waiting at the Little League field for you to pick him up. And it's 6:59, and you need to be there at 7:15, and it's too late to call someone else because customers were not thoughtful enough to come in and try to get their prescription filled before 6:58, and it's going to be dark soon, and oh god... you get my point!

Some people here seem to place remaining professional above all else, but what would they do in this situation? A lot of the opinions here seem to be inflexible; you either are professional or you're not. But I'm wondering, at what cost?

I'm curious to know what people think. I am going to be starting school at MCPHS in September and never knew this was such a problem.

It means you shouldn't put yourself in a situation where you have to be somewhere that close to closing. Because the rule of life says that if you have to be there, that's the day the last minute prescription will appear...

Number two, you are simply human. As a pharmacist, however well compensated you may be, you are nothing more than a human being and understandably, you are fatigued at the end of an 8-12 hour shift. Why place so much emphasis on professionalism without looking after yourself a little? How would you feel if during that additional hour you stay open, you suddenly make a serious error all because you are already tired and partly in a rush to leave? Point is, think of yourself too. Absolutely none of those patients are going to care for your well-being. So, enough with the garbage, develop some strength and have the heart to say "NO, WE ARE CLOSED, SIR."

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I just have to chime in since I've had a couple of horrible closings last week. One night a customer came up to the drive-thru at 10:00pm sharp. I'm thinking, "OK, probably a last minute pickup." but no. He starts telling me how we filled his prescription (test strips) wrong but it turns out that the doctor wrote for the wrong kind. The light in the drive-thru turns off automatically on him and he gets upset thinking that I did it. He's opened the package and tried to use them but now wants to return them. This was probably a 10-15 minute delay.

The next night a guy comes up to the drive through at about 9:55pm to pick up a refill for his son for Nystatin. On the original script MD wrote, "Nystatin suspension; 3 mL each cheek TID x 10 days; #90mL; 0 refills". He's been giving a total of 6 mL TID so this only lasted him 5 days. Whoever verified the first one that went out to him did it wrong because they wrote that they had 89 refills so this guy thinks he's got a refill coming to him. Plus they should have clarified the directions. We proceeded to 'argue' about how his wife was supposed to be giving it and basically told me that I was dumb and don't understand directions, etc. I gave him another bottle and told him we'd call the doctor the next day to confirm. Guess what, I was right *******. I think I got out at 10:30 that night.

This one takes the cake. We were stuck back there with the windows halfway down helping this lady with her many drug cards. Some of them would not go through but she would not take no for an answer. It was 5:20pm and we closed at 5:00pm. After she finally left, we bring the window down the whole way and then hear someone knocking and saying, "Hello?!" We already closed the register down but our manager decided to be nice and ring her out because it was public aid anyway. We ring her out, she proceeds straight out the pharmacy door with a whole cart full of stuff hoping the front register thought we rung her out. After we discover this, I have to go back into the pharmacy and print out all her info so we can contact her. I didn't get out until almost 6:00pm that day. And no, I didn't charge them for overtime. :(

I guess I just need to vent about this. Why do people with problems wait till the last minute? And why do people feel so self-entitled that we'll stay 30 minutes after close just for them? The other day I stayed back in the pharmacy 20 minutes to clean stuff up and then I walk out and some lady is appalled that I'm not going to open up the pharmacy just for her because I was still there.

My bottom line- people suck and the only reason I stay sometimes is to avoid corporate complaints. I'm getting better at directing people to the nearest 24 hour store though.

I just have to chime in since I've had a couple of horrible closings last week. One night a customer came up to the drive-thru at 10:00pm sharp. I'm thinking, "OK, probably a last minute pickup." but no. He starts telling me how we filled his prescription (test strips) wrong but it turns out that the doctor wrote for the wrong kind. The light in the drive-thru turns off automatically on him and he gets upset thinking that I did it. He's opened the package and tried to use them but now wants to return them. This was probably a 10-15 minute delay.

The next night a guy comes up to the drive through at about 9:55pm to pick up a refill for his son for Nystatin. On the original script MD wrote, "Nystatin suspension; 3 mL each cheek TID x 10 days; #90mL; 0 refills". He's been giving a total of 6 mL TID so this only lasted him 5 days. Whoever verified the first one that went out to him did it wrong because they wrote that they had 89 refills so this guy thinks he's got a refill coming to him. Plus they should have clarified the directions. We proceeded to 'argue' about how his wife was supposed to be giving it and basically told me that I was dumb and don't understand directions, etc. I gave him another bottle and told him we'd call the doctor the next day to confirm. Guess what, I was right *******. I think I got out at 10:30 that night.

This one takes the cake. We were stuck back there with the windows halfway down helping this lady with her many drug cards. Some of them would not go through but she would not take no for an answer. It was 5:20pm and we closed at 5:00pm. After she finally left, we bring the window down the whole way and then hear someone knocking and saying, "Hello?!" We already closed the register down but our manager decided to be nice and ring her out because it was public aid anyway. We ring her out, she proceeds straight out the pharmacy door with a whole cart full of stuff hoping the front register thought we rung her out. After we discover this, I have to go back into the pharmacy and print out all her info so we can contact her. I didn't get out until almost 6:00pm that day. And no, I didn't charge them for overtime. :(

I guess I just need to vent about this. Why do people with problems wait till the last minute? And why do people feel so self-entitled that we'll stay 30 minutes after close just for them? The other day I stayed back in the pharmacy 20 minutes to clean stuff up and then I walk out and some lady is appalled that I'm not going to open up the pharmacy just for her because I was still there.

My bottom line- people suck and the only reason I stay sometimes is to avoid corporate complaints. I'm getting better at directing people to the nearest 24 hour store though.

Well a pharmacist like Old Timer would have you believe its your "professional duty" to stay as long as necessary. His arguument revolves around how much money we make blah blah blah. I feel you are promoting and encouraging unprofessional conduct by your customers by allowing things like the above to happen.

The bottomline is, when the pharmacy is closed it is closed. Customers need to learn to be more responsible and get to the pharmacy during normal business hours.

You are correct....people do suck and most are complete idiots.

crossurfingers...i feel u.
Many times i stayed late just to fill last minute rxs, i ended up staying very late because of insurance problems and etc. I don't mind staying late to finish up work so the next day pharmacist will not be bombarded with left over work from the night before BUT i hate dealing with procrastinators who decided to come in when we are about to close....especially when I am salaried.

"professional duty" I HATE IT!!....my husband was in the surgery room and busy seeing other patients days and nights when my 4 days old daughter was lying in the hospital bed with iv tubes and catheters. He spent more time with his patients then with me and the baby. Do u call that professional duty? I call it sacrifices and sadness...this is life...

Last edited:
Let's see, the doctor made an error and this is the patient's fault because he didn't catch or report it at a time that was convenient to you.

Let's see you have a prescription for a child, your store failed to counsel the patient's parents properly, you did not dispense enough medication to last 10 days and you put the wrong number of refills on the bottle. Three ml's in each cheek is 6ml per dose and three doses per day is 18ml and a 10 day supply is 180 ml. They gave it correctly and you argued with about it instead of apologizing to them.

Here you have a case. I might have told the lady I can't get them to go through I'll give you enough to last until tomorrow and I'll call you when I can get them to go through.....

Venting is fine, it gets the agg out of your system. Each situation is different and you have to evaluate each case and decide the best way to proceed.

Let's see, the doctor made an error and this is the patient's fault because he didn't catch or report it at a time that was convenient to you.

It is not the patient's fault that the doctor made an error. I just don't see why the patient had to come in at 10:00pm (store closing time). People should have common sense and know that reporting an error is going to take extra time. You could make the argument that the patient had a busy schedule and that was the only time available for him to come in. Well what about common courtesy? Why should his time be more valued than mine?

Let's see you have a prescription for a child, your store failed to counsel the patient's parents properly, you did not dispense enough medication to last 10 days and you put the wrong number of refills on the bottle. Three ml's in each cheek is 6ml per dose and three doses per day is 18ml and a 10 day supply is 180 ml. They gave it correctly and you argued with about it instead of apologizing to them.

They did not give it correctly. Doctor wrote for 3mL each cheek TID with a quantity of 90mL. In clinical pharmacology it stated that the dose is usually divided equally between both cheeks. The way the doctor wrote the prescription is consistent with giving 1.5mL in each cheek. I wanted to clarify with the doctor the correct way that they should be giving it. Patient wasn't having any of that. He told me he was right and demanded another bottle. I gave in and dispensed another bottle and told him we'd check with the doctor anyway. Turns out I was right.

Here you have a case. I might have told the lady I can't get them to go through I'll give you enough to last until tomorrow and I'll call you when I can get them to go through.....

The rx was already ready, it just needed to be rung out. It was also for a CII.

Problem One: The patient should have called first and not just shown up at closing. I agree. Now what, send him away with no way to check his blood sugar until tomorrow?

Problem Two: Your pharmacy committed an error. Do you think the average parent knows the standard dosage for Nystatin oral suspension? If the label says place 3ml in each cheek why would they split it in half and place 1.5ml in each cheek. The doctor ordered an incorrect dose, your store did not catch it and dispensed a dose that was 100% higher than it should have. There is no defense here. Either way the store screwed this up.

Problem Three: The C-II does not change the scenario much at all. You are allowed to partial a C-II if you dispense the balance within 72 hours. The only problem would be if you could never get it through, the patient could not have the hard copy back.

Old Timer wins x6, everyone, let us stop this, continuing to argue why it is acceptable to refuse to assist the public when you call yourself a health care professional is simply silly.

Last edited:
I had to pick up a lady's medications tonight, because they were delivered to the wrong facility. I got home an hour late. I didn't mind. Old people are much sweeter and friendlier at "home", so it was fun. I ran around one of the facilities looking for the lady, and while I was looking for her, I think I interrupted bingo in the dining hall or whatever game they were playing. :p

I got paid for it though. ;) I didn't have to clock out until I called to say that I was on my way home.

Last edited:
Old Timer wins x6, everyone, let us stop this, continuing to argue why it is bad to refuse to assist the public when you call yourself a health care professional is simply silly.

Priapism loses x6 for once again commenting on something he knows nothing about.

Go find your preceptor so he can wipe your nose rookie....

Once again for those of us Old and hard of hearing...NO ONE IS REFUSEING TO HELP ANYONE!!!! The discussion is about rude, lazy, and inconsiderate customers who wait until the last minute to come in and take of something they could have done in the previous 14 hours the pharmacy was open.

Priapism loses x6 for once again commenting on something he knows nothing about.

Go find your preceptor so he can wipe your nose rookie....

Once again for those of us Old and hard of hearing...NO ONE IS REFUSEING TO HELP ANYONE!!!! The discussion is about rude, lazy, and inconsiderate customers who wait until the last minute to come in and take of something they could have done in the previous 14 hours the pharmacy was open.

Don't want to work with:
rude, lazy, and inconsiderate customers

work somewhere else...... Like a hospital or prison or long term care. If you work with the public this is what you get....