How would you deal with a tech like this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a tech who refuses to help a certain pain patient of ours. She doesn't like the way the patient talks (patient curses a lot and apparently talks "ghetto"). However, there is no mean intent behind the cursing, that's just the rapport me and her have.

Typical Conversation between me and this patient:

Patient: HEY TOWELHEAD! DO YOU HAVE MY ****IN OXYS IN STOCK?
Me: Of course my *****.
Patient: Damn straight son. How are the bitches treating you?
Me: You know how it is.

So one time, I had stepped out to the deli to grab something and the tech was the first person who came in contact with her.
Patient: Where is that dingus? Tell that sand ***** to stop hiding in the back.
Tech: Excuse me? You have to leave right now or I'm calling the cops.
Patient: The **** you say ****?
Tech: Calls me on her cell phone, you have to get back here now and deal with this bitch.
*i walk over from the deli*

Me: What's the problem?
Patient: The tech is saying I have to leave or she'll call the police.
Tech: She came in here cursing and yelling.

*I pull tech to the side*
Me: ...she's joking..don't you pay attention when me and her talk...
Tech: Well, I'm not gonna help her, she called me a ****.

So...do I fire this tech or do I have to schedule a different tech to work on the day that this patient is scheduled to come in?

Members don't see this ad.

If I was a tech there, I wouldn't want to help someone like that either

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol it's a common expectancy in pharmacy to bear being cussed at while wearing a smile and trying to get the patient out the door. Tell her she has horrid customer service skills and needs to improve.

Also, I'd love to be a patient in Sparda's pharmacy

I have a tech who refuses to help a certain pain patient of ours. She doesn't like the way the patient talks (patient curses a lot and apparently talks "ghetto"). However, there is no mean intent behind the cursing, that's just the rapport me and her have.

So one time, I had stepped out to the deli to grab something and the tech was the first person who came in contact with her.
Tech: Calls me on her cell phone, you have to get back here now and deal with this bitch.

So...do I fire this tech or do I have to schedule a different tech to work on the day that this patient is scheduled to come in?

Fire her? Shouldnt you tone down your behavior? Based on what you said, you sound not just unprofessional but highly inappropriate ... so you call each other names... at work? And youre okay with this? Haha i wouldnt wanna work for you.

I feel sorry for you brother. Tell your tech the patient has tourettes and its a medical condition. Show the tech drugs that prove it. Your tech might be to dumb to know anything about drugs so try to make it medical. Let the tech know you cannot refuse to help this person due to their medical condition. My friend got put in a psych facility and was roomates with a guy who couldnt stop masturbating. Unfortunately they got released together and he asked me to pick both of them up. The guy with the problem was doing his thing in my car and I let it slide cuz of his medical condition. Your tech should let people with medical conditions slide too.

Fire her? Shouldnt you tone down your behavior? Based on what you said, you sound not just unprofessional but highly inappropriate ... so you call each other names... at work? And youre okay with this? Haha i wouldnt wanna work for you.

That's how the patient is and I don't have a problem for it. Not everyone are little old ladies.

Last edited:
That's how the patient is and I don't have a problem for it. Not everyone are little old ladies.

So if there is a patient with a child behind this individual, and he starts spouting off (even without malice or ill intent), will you feel good about this?

What if someone happens to waltz in as you say these things to the patient, and takes offense at them or records or reports you to a major news outlet?

Given past incidents involving pharmacists and patients calling the nearest news network about things that upset them, I wouldn't dismiss it as impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh

Reactions: 1 users
Lmao. Makes total sense with the typical Sparta posts.

Protoss is cheese race btw.

Not everyone IS little old ladies.

Thats fair. If you dont have a problem with that. But what about all the other patients and coworkers who would have a problem with you or that patient? Whether you want to completely ignore something called professional courtesy or not is totally up to you.

Just the fact that you want to fire a tech who has a problem with someone whos acting very inappropriately says alot about who you are as a professional and i have a feeling i wont be the only one who thinks that.

Last edited:
I've never been to NY, I thought this was the way everyone in NY normally talked? The tourette's suggestion above sounds like a good one.

So if there is a patient with a child behind this individual, and he starts spouting off (even without malice or ill intent), will you feel good about this?

I suspect any kids who go to Sparda’s store have heard much worse and could probably teach me a few new words too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would have thought you would be the type to side with your techs against everyone else. Color me surprised. Frankly I would expect you to allow your techs to call customers by racial slurs, not be upset when they don't want to hear that kind of thing.

Honestly it sounds to me like your tech doesn't recognize context/intention. I am not sure why you want to fire her though, it seems like it would be easy to smooth over?

Idk... I called my tech a terrorist and he still seems to be cool with me ‍

You actually had to post and ask this question??

If Im fine with being called a racial slur, Ill let it go. But I wouldn't use a racial slur back to the patient.

If the tech is uncomfortable I would tell the patient that shes old school and doesn't appreciate the language so please keep it classy for him/her. Id tell the tech the patient is trying to show affection in the way they know best but I let her/him know that she/he didn't appreciate the language so let me know if it happens again so I could readdress.

I have a certain coworker I go back and forth with our Middle Eastern vs Mexican jokes but its just between us and customers/patients aren't generally listening in the central pharmacy.

What's there to deal with?

Sounds just like any other typical day at a pharmacy.