How do you apply to Medical Genetics ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solitarydancer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a question regarding Medical Genetics. I know you're supposed to have to years of GME (IM, peds..) before getting into medical genetics, but how exactly do you apply? And why not finish your IM or peds training before starting Genetics, since it's "only" one more year?

I also think there are combined programs, are they common/hard to get into?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I have a question regarding Medical Genetics. I know you're supposed to have to years of GME (IM, peds..) before getting into medical genetics, but how exactly do you apply? And why not finish your IM or peds training before starting Genetics, since it's "only" one more year?

I also think there are combined programs, are they common/hard to get into?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I don't know about the peds pathway, but you can apply to a combined IM/Gene program, which IIRC is 4 years and you will be able to sit for IM boards. There are not many programs, but I don't think it's that hard to get into if you are really serious and interested because it tends to self-select.

Thanks a lot, jdh71.

Those combined programs sure seem interesting, but there are not that many. Only one in the state of NY for example. What about the other Medical Genetics programs? How do you proceed? You go into IM, and after 2 years swtich to Genetics ?

Thanks.

Thanks a lot, jdh71.

Those combined programs sure seem interesting, but there are not that many. Only one in the state of NY for example. What about the other Medical Genetics programs? How do you proceed? You go into IM, and after 2 years swtich to Genetics ?

Thanks.

A search on FREIDA will help you locate other programs.

If it's like other combined residencies you'll probably do some of both for four years, though, since, you'll likely end up doing genetics in the end, it may be heavier IM the first few years and heavier genetics the last two. But that would only be my guess.

Sorry I can't be any more help. It's a very specialized field, and I'm not doing it nor had any exposure to it since graduation from med school.