How do residents find the time to run errands?

Kurk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a really dumb question but,

how do they find the time to do the following:
- Go to the DMV
- Go to the Bank
- Perform car maintenance
- Manage finances
- Shop for household items + food
- Home maintenance
- etc.

Members don't see this ad.

time management and planning

Members don't see this ad :)
You schedule it. You're an adult, and it's a professional environment. Where everyone gets this idea that residency is a soul crushing experience where you can't even wash your clothes is beyond me.

Reactions: 1 user
Time management and planning ahead of time

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

1. Went to DMV before I started residency. I only needed to go once. But the DMVs in the states I've lived in have some weekend hours too.
2. Banking---direct deposit, plus hospitals have ATMs. The bank I chose was conveniently the same bank that had ATMs at the hospital. The GME office (office associated with residents) suggested this bank to all incoming residents for this reason. It worked out well.
3. Car maintenance--usually tried to do this during vacation weeks, unless it was something urgent.
4. Finances--?? not sure how working long hours affects this. Just needed to make sure to pay bills on time. Automatic payments for rent, etc. can also help.
5. Shop for household items and groceries--weekends, nights, etc.
6. Home maintenance--I rented so I didn't have to do anything except call the landlord.
I also trained when you could rely on your "post call day" to be home early. So I tried to schedule doctor appts and do errands on those days unless I was too tired.

Reactions: 2 users
sometimes our scheduled day off is on a weekday instead of weekend. it's nice to be able to get these stuff done during those days

sometimes our scheduled day off is on a weekday instead of weekend. it's nice to be able to get these stuff done during those days
Yeah, bear in mind that medicine doesn't respect the sanctity of weekends like other fields. Your one day off in seven during residency could just as easily be mid week. So, problem solved -- you can spend that day at the DMV and bank. :)

2gk9g0x.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I don't care if you get a weekday off instead of a weekend. I like it more if anything.

- Go to the DMV
saturday hours
- Go to the Bank
saturday hours
- Perform car maintenance
saturday hours
- Manage finances
no money makes that easy
- Shop for household items + food
day off
- Home maintenance
vacation week if it can wait or during night float so that im at home sleeping and can wake up to let them in. saturday hours when possible