How do you find hospitals to volunteer at?

GeicoLizard

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a sophomore in high school. I'm turning 15 in October. I want to volunteer at hospitals near me, but I can't find hospitals that would be willing to let me volunteer at my age. From your guys' personal experience, how did you get the opportunity to volunteer at your local hospital and what did you do there?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

That's pretty normal. I didn't start volunteering until college (and it didn't hold me back).

Consider looking at health care clinics, Planned Parenthood, health education, hospice and care homes, other things that are similar but not actually hospitals.

Hi, I am currently a sophomore in high school. I'm turning 15 in October. I want to volunteer at hospitals near me, but I can't find hospitals that would be willing to let me volunteer at my age. From your guys' personal experience, how did you get the opportunity to volunteer at your local hospital and what did you do there?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't know what the minimum age is to volunteer but I started when I was 16. I thought every hospital has a volunteer department and within that department they have a junior volunteer program.

Be proactive and ask around. At your age understand this, you are not trying to see "everything." You will get to that in due time. Right now, I would encourage you to observe how the healthcare hierarchy works. Pay attention to the big picture right now so that when you get older, you will already understand how everything works and you can choose which area you want to explore more and which area or areas you don't want to explore further.

This will sound crazy but I volunteered in the materials management department when I was 16. I was going from department to department delivering stuff while the gunners in the ER were just sitting around because they were too young to be doing anything serious.

You start by calling hospitals nearby, and ask to speak with the volunteer department. After you have done so, you then do what ever they tell you. Such as, submitting an application. You do this to all of the hospitals near by, and you start volunteering at one.