Can you help me find a list of colleges that don’t require non custodial parent information?

FutureNeurologist2025

Neuroscience is life!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My parents are divorced, and my dad lives in Africa and I have no relationship or contact with him. Most selective universities that meet full need require non custodial parent information, but I cannot provide it so unless I receive the waiver I would not be able to apply for financial aid. I’m only a freshman but so far my grades are good (A’s in honors classes and one AP class). I also have pretty good extracurriculars: hospital volunteering (start in February), a part of a group that brings diversity into my community, key club, art club, junior varsity track, and french club. I plan on shadowing a doctor and going to a medical summer camp by the end of highschool. Any suggestions on schools that meet full need, are good for pre med, and don’t require non custodial parent information? I’m an Ohio resident, and my mom makes approximately $55,000 a year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When you apply, you can let schools know in writing that you have no contact with the non-custodial parent/no ability to contact them. When I applied to college a million years ago, I tried to send my Dad the required forms via certified mail. He refused them and they came back unopened. I sent that documentation to colleges and asked that they waive the requirement for those forms. All the colleges I applied to did (which was a range from State university to Ivy League). For an unreachable parent out of the country, I don’t imagine anyone will give you too much trouble on this for calculating financial aid. You’ll just do your FAFSA and you’ll be fine. Some schools may have supplental forms, but like I said just call them to discuss and notify them in writing.

When you apply, you can let schools know in writing that you have no contact with the non-custodial parent/no ability to contact them. When I applied to college a million years ago, I tried to send my Dad the required forms via certified mail. He refused them and they came back unopened. I sent that documentation to colleges and asked that they waive the requirement for those forms. All the colleges I applied to did (which was a range from State university to Ivy League). For an unreachable parent out of the country, I don’t imagine anyone will give you too much trouble on this for calculating financial aid. You’ll just do your FAFSA and you’ll be fine. Some schools may have supplental forms, but like I said just call them to discuss and notify them in writing.

Thank you so much! I hope I’m able to apply to the ivies and Stanford. I wasn’t sure if they would still require it, even though my dad was deported. I have a relationship with my Uncle from his side, so I thought they might make me provided his information.
Thanks again.