How did you prepare for NBPME/APMLE part 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovelamp2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I am a 1st year podiatry resident and we have to take boards part 3 this year. I've asked multiple people how they prepared for part 3 and almost all say they "don't even remember because it was so easy." This does not help me! I would like to know what the difference is between parts 2 and 3 (the outline on the website doesn't seem to have much of a difference between the two). Did you prepare the exact same way for 3 as you did part 2? Please let me know your thoughts so I can come up with a game plan for part 3. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, I am a 1st year podiatry resident and we have to take boards part 3 this year. I've asked multiple people how they prepared for part 3 and almost all say they "don't even remember because it was so easy." This does not help me! I would like to know what the difference is between parts 2 and 3 (the outline on the website doesn't seem to have much of a difference between the two). Did you prepare the exact same way for 3 as you did part 2? Please let me know your thoughts so I can come up with a game plan for part 3. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!

In my last podiatry externship, residents there told me the reading review material is same as for Part 2. IF you feel you need to read for review, read 2 weeks before the Part 3 test. 2 weeks is plenty.

Anyone have any other input? For part II, I used First Aid USMLE II for medicine, radiology class notes, various McGlamry chapters like anesthesiology, internal fixation etc, and certain parts of Hershey and Presby for things like inpatient management, trauma care, pre/postop management.

To those who have taken part III, is it sufficient to revisit those sources? I've heard/the bulletin leads me to believe that the exam is less procedure specific (saved for ABPS exams?) and more clinical judgement. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that pocket podiatry is a great resource for the test. I haven't taken it, but I plan to read and study for it as well. Failure is NOT an option. I was told flat out by an attending not to study for it, however, I should know the stuff anyway, so why not study.

Does anyone who took it in December know how it compares to the new harder style of boards 2?

Is pocket podiatry good for part 3? It was pretty spot on for part 2 . But part 3 being more clinical would u study from other sources like presby?

Baffling considering some programs would laugh at you if you busted that book out to read, while on clerkships, instead of the PI manual.

Why is that? (I don't have it) Is it much more simplified than PI manual?

Baffling considering some programs would laugh at you if you busted that book out to read, while on clerkships, instead of the PI manual.

what he said

I took part III in June. I'm not bragging, but I studied about a day and a half before the exam. Which after studying for interviews and part II was probably 1.5 days too many.

If you put a considerable amount of time in studying in January, you shouldn't have to study a single minute for part 3. As mentioned above, it's more heavily clinically sided with fewer useless academic questions. Overall, it's fairly straight forward. Study anything Podiatry and you'll have a great shot at passing.

Remember, the goal is to do just slightly better than the bottom 10% score. And if they didn't study hard for part 2/interviews in the first place, you are most likely way ahead of them already, and it's highly unlikely they will study at all for Part 3, meaning your previous advantage is maintained and there is really nothing to worry about. Any studying you do will simply be a comfort that you at least did something to prepare, even though most of that information will not help you on the exam.

Last edited: