How do you prepare for cases?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustAPedicurist

Reaction score
As a resident how did you? As an attending how do you now?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just show up...

1685111688237.png

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
As a resident: sometimes I would look at the X-rays pre op if I wasn’t too tired but that’s about it. I would just stroll into the case and then zone out while holding the retractors

As an attending: I’ll watch a clip on YouTube on my phone of the surgery I plan on attempting while I wait for anesthesia to put the patient to sleep.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Resident : watch Mercado videos (if ya know ya know )
Attending: show up

VuMedi has a ton of videos that are pretty good

Reactions: 1 users
Residency: read relevant section of McGlamrys or Podiatry Institute chapters or Easley Operative Techniques of Foot and Ankle Surgery.

Attending: show up and let proctor do the case.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Easly for elective and some trauma
Rockford and green for trauma

Never liked McGlamrys. Too wordy. Info that could be stated in 1 paragraph is 6 paragraphs to get to the point.

Reactions: 2 users
Residency: Orthobullets, Podiatry Institute, McGlamry's, Mann's, Youtube videos (cross reference both ortho and podiatry videos to see what works different/could be better). Review preop XR. Look up some of the latest literature if you have time. Sit down, read, visualize each step.

Then you go into the case and do everything wrong regardless because every attending does things differently, and some don't trust you or like to be active in the case themselves. Nothing against them, I get it. You can't win sometimes.

Attending: Not there yet so who knows.

Residency: read relevant section of McGlamrys or Podiatry Institute chapters or Easley Operative Techniques of Foot and Ankle Surgery.

Attending: show up and let proctor do the case.
Residency: Show up and let the attending do the case.

Attending: Show up and let the resident do the case.

1685118751655.jpeg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Easly for elective and some trauma
Rockford and green for trauma

Never liked McGlamrys. Too wordy. Info that could be stated in 1 paragraph is 6 paragraphs to get to the point.
Didn't know about those. Will look into it. Agree about McGlam's. Content is decent. Verbage for the sake of pomp and circumstance makes it long to decipher through.

I just pop open a copy of this classic….

Attachments

• IMG_1916.png
    IMG_1916.png
    255.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Haha
Foot and Ankle surgery academy is very good. I find videos to be more beneficial than just reading.

Members don't see this ad :)
Foot and Ankle surgery academy is very good. I find videos to be more beneficial than just reading.

I agree, the videos and commentary are excellent from Foot and ankle academy.

I tend to use Easley over Mcglamry, Coughlin, or most others. I feel it is more instructional than most of the other texts.

As a resident: sometimes I would look at the X-rays pre op if I wasn’t too tired but that’s about it. I would just stroll into the case and then zone out while holding the retractors

As an attending: I’ll watch a clip on YouTube on my phone of the surgery I plan on attempting while I wait for anesthesia to put the patient to sleep.
Pretty accurate

Attending: Easy case - maybe a red bull or 2 and burrito from the gas station. Then time for surgery. Usually reread the consent so I know what I am supposed to be doing. I also change the image to inverted and print it out and tape it up in the room. Inverting makes me feel important.

Hard case - I don't prepare at all, have a glass of soy milk before the case then usually bail halfway through and ask Ortho to come finish for me and I sit in the corner and watch. Then go Home and do the same thing when my neighbor Big Jon comes over.

• Haha
  • Love
Attending: Easy case - maybe a red bull or 2 and burrito from the gas station. Then time for surgery. Usually reread the consent so I know what I am supposed to be doing. I also change the image to inverted and print it out and tape it up in the room. Inverting makes me feel important.

Hard case - I don't prepare at all, have a glass of soy milk before the case then usually bail halfway through and ask Ortho to come finish for me and I sit in the corner and watch. Then go Home and do the same thing when my neighbor Big Jon comes over.

Attachments

• CCE989AB-281F-470E-B286-0820D487588E.gif
    CCE989AB-281F-470E-B286-0820D487588E.gif
    3.5 MB · Views: 41
I prep for cases by looking my associates schedule and send them the case once I've done all the dme, cold lasers, injections, hemp lotions and other in-house conservative care

• Haha
As a resident ...
Chang and McGlamry

As an attending ...
For the "every day" stuff - pre-op x-rays.
For the "not every day" stuff - technique guides

I do the ACFAS surg techniques vids on DVD... pretty good buy with resident or hospital CME money (foot, RRA, trauma, diab volumes).

Sometimes DVD from Myerson or Coughlin or Easley or other books... but they tend to have some stuff and not others you need.

I did texts more when I was in training... seldom enough time now, unless it's a bigger case that needs extended prep. Browner Jupiter and Rockwood and Gumann and above are good. Chang is pretty good, but that and Myerson are kinda limited to author approach. McGlamry or Coughlin are more comprehensive and ok for some stuff (boards).

The most useful book imo is actually the Orthopaedics Anatomic Approach dissection approaches (they have a F&A one you can get for about $100 now). Anatomy doesn't change. I don't know about most ppl, but most of the worst days in surgery I've had (both resident or since) are just poor incision/approach planning and not being where you want, not finding the joint or structures fast, being slow, scope portals too high, etc. The fixation/reduction/repair stuff is generally the easy part if you have good exposure and planning.

Last edited:
  • Love
IMG_3909.png

Walks you through step by step with images. Works nice as a refresher before cases.

have it. just seems dated.
Books always do. They go over the proven ways to do things that have studied solid outcomes, long term results.

Journals and meetings are for the newer and flashier things that may end up being the next standard of care... or more likely, the next forgotten mistake.

You won't go wrong with (good) books, though... "you don't want to be the first or the last guy doing something."

Im sorry you had to go to a residency that was like that.

• Haha
Recently found Orthoracle.com

Seems legit. 5k CME money yearly I got to spend it somewhere. 100 bucks for annual subscription let's do it.

Wow, that looks like a great resource. Tons of vids and they look to be in good quality.
I’ve used Mann’s vids that came with my book purchase, but the quality is pretty rough on some.
Thanks for this

Typical cases I look at xrays and the consent night before just to remember what I'm doing.

Less common cases I'll youtube a video or two on technique. Dr. Deheer has good videos

Recently found Orthoracle.com

Seems legit. 5k CME money yearly I got to spend it somewhere. 100 bucks for annual subscription let's do it.
I was paying too much for Foot and Ankle Surgery Academy, but think I'm gonna screen capture the good stuff from there and cancel it to switch to this.

I typically watch Jaws podiatry to prep for any and all my cases.

"welcome back everyone, alota surgery" :oops::oops:

They do some **** pretty weird though.
tough but fair, some stuff on there I've shared I don't do anymore

I was paying too much for Foot and Ankle Surgery Academy, but think I'm gonna screen capture the good stuff from there and cancel it to switch to this.
can't stop you, I'm honored that our videos made it to this conversation and is worth your effort to screen capture. I've seen orthoracle before, I remember it being high quality images, but didn't see any video, has that changed? I'd love to learn more about what works and what doesnt

I'm honored that our videos made it to this conversation and is worth your effort to screen capture.
It's high quality stuff and ya'll do a good job. It's just not really a sustainable price on a monthly basis unless someone's got excess CME money they're trying to burn or something.

tough but fair, some stuff on there I've shared I don't do anymore

can't stop you, I'm honored that our videos made it to this conversation and is worth your effort to screen capture. I've seen orthoracle before, I remember it being high quality images, but didn't see any video, has that changed? I'd love to learn more about what works and what doesnt
Welcome Dr. Chiu!

It's high quality stuff and ya'll do a good job. It's just not really a sustainable price on a monthly basis unless someone's got excess CME money they're trying to burn or something.
Thank you! I think value is interesting to bring up, some people won't watch our videos even if we give it to them for free, others would willingly pay more than what FASA charges. Then there's folks who would spend loads on expensive jewelry, watches, cars, but may be stingy with their medical education. There isn't a perfect price we can pick, but we do have to charge something in order to keep producing content. We are working on partnering with someone to offer CME eventually, and wow is that process complex and expensive, check the CPME website if you're curious :)

Welcome Dr. Chiu!
Thanks! Long time lurker here

How is that stab release of the distal plantar fascia going?
It's good, definitely a fail on flat foot and morbidly obese patients, i'll still offer it with that disclaimer. I'll look at my data again next year for a larger case series. Probably different journal though, FASTRAC charges $700 for authors to publish :/

You talking about the one with the needle or the blade?
I do it with the needle, but I started doing it with a blade. Both have had success and both have had failures, doesn't really matter which technique you use, just easier for patients to agree to it when it's done with a needle. I know @Feli isn't a fan of the procedure and that's okay, new procedures and ideas will always have support and criticism. Both are needed for progress.

Reactions: 7 users
Dr Chui has a great IG page, actually yolo'd alot of stuff using his techniques and had good outcomes. I subscribe to their surgery channel some stuff i likely wouldn't do, but medicine isn't an exact science. Guy knows his ****.