How are you guys handling inherited methadone patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn’t say that, he said the patient has been consistent with monitoring. Obviously none of us would start the patient on opioids. Sounds like the OP made a significant amount of progress in weaning. Risking yojr license would be prescribing to a patient that is diverting or unacceptably high risk for addiction, etc.
You have no defense or justification if you are his original or new prescribing physician. It’s pretty clear.

Members don't see this ad.

you have an issue with #2.

if i were you, i would do gradual weans over time. you need to tell him that his level of medication is unsustainable, and while each wean will cause some discomfort, things settle down, with time you will get him down - not to zero, but to a level that is reasonable, safe, and will not send flags to DEA/State DOH. and hopefully butrans. remind him that you two are in this together, but he is free to go see someone else to take over his pills. this is what you have to do.

you do not have to do this in 1 week or month or even a year. there is no set time frame. document a slow wean, from 150 mg oxy down to, say 60 mg. for example, i took over a patient on 300 mg morphine ER and 180 oxy, after fusion L1-S1 with stim that was replaced. over 3 months, we weaned off morphine, took a few month break and the next year we weaned from 180 oxy down to his current 60 mg daily.

unfortunately, you do have a diagnosis now - opioid dependence.

Reactions: 1 user