Hours & Lifestyle Differences across Neurology Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The reality is that your residency education is up to you and you should chose a residency based on your priorities. There is nothing wrong on choosing a place that is less rigorous that meets your needs.

It is really up to you to do your due diligence when looking for a residency of choice. Perhaps, you should look at residencies that employs night float or are clinic heavy. When I was in residency, 5 residents got pregnant and decided to take 8-10 weeks off. I took 6 weeks off because I felt I was leaving other residents down, but regardless, these ladies choose my particular program because of the extensive time off. Focus your residency on you and try to enjoy your family as much as you can

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the posts in this thread have been about the o.p. justifying his/her concerns and people judging the person's committment.There must be more schedule-confined, comparitively lifestyle accomadating neurology residency programs.
I would think that such programs would be oriented such that larger amount of time is spent in outpatient neurology. It would help if somebody knew of such programs and mentioned them here or pm-d them to those of us desperately seeking them.I'm an ms4 graduate with a 2 yr old looking for the same.

You can find the cirriculum of most programs online. Look for larger programs with less hospital to cover, more elective time, etc. However, it seems like it's very late in this cycle to actually START researching programs. Most programs are finishing up their interviews so unless you already applied/ visited a program you will likely need to take a year off and apply next cycle for these unicorn neurology programs

Members don't see this ad :)
There are definitely programs that have a bit more focus on resident well-being and health. For example, Case Western seems to have a great program director who told us during orientation that "You will never have to sleep in the hospital" because he makes sure that residents never have to work >16hrs straight.

I think there are programs that at least come close to fitting the bill - you just need to do a bit of research and find out which ones are like that. However, I do agree that it's a little late to start researching brand-new programs; just go on every single interview you have and see if any match up with your priorities.

Reactions: 1 user
I should have mentioned that i've taken a year off to serve in electives and decide on my persuit.I will be applying for the 2016-17 match.

There are definitely programs that have a bit more focus on resident well-being and health. For example, Case Western seems to have a great program director who told us during orientation that "You will never have to sleep in the hospital" because he makes sure that residents never have to work >16hrs straight.

I think there are programs that at least come close to fitting the bill - you just need to do a bit of research and find out which ones are like that. However, I do agree that it's a little late to start researching brand-new programs; just go on every single interview you have and see if any match up with your priorities.

I mean, it sounds nice to never have to sleep in the hospital if you work at Case Western, until you realize that you still have to sleep in Cleveland!

Reactions: 2 users
I mean, it sounds nice to never have to sleep in the hospital if you work at Case Western, until you realize that you still have to sleep in Cleveland!

my same thought....would rather work like a dog in a safe place than to take/raise my kids in Cleveland.

my same thought....would rather work like a dog in a safe place than to take/raise my kids in Cleveland.

While after visiting Cleveland I would tend to agree with both of you (definitely doesn't look like the safest place in the world), my point was to show that it is possible to find programs that are more like what the OP wants.

While after visiting Cleveland I would tend to agree with both of you (definitely doesn't look like the safest place in the world), my point was to show that it is possible to find programs that are more like what the OP wants.

No your point is a good one, I was just taking an opportunity to razz Cleveland.

There are actually safe places to sleep in Cleveland. Safe neighborhoods in suburbs surrounding Cleveland are within a 10 min. drive of the hospitals. But you may want to check the antifreeze levels, both in your car and yourself...

Reactions: 1 user
Off topic - Cleveland is actually a great place to live well for relatively very low cost - your quality of life here on residency salary could be much nicer than places with extortionary real estate markets

On topic. All I'm saying is that a neurology residency in which you have time to actually think about interesting patients and do research on patients when you get home >>>>>> being a documentation jockey being forced to manage a 40 patient census, too jaded and overworked to ever do anything for learning but try to get notes in. I've seen the latter and it is in no way a form of increasing clinical skills or reflective of the largely outpatient career I plan.

Reactions: 1 users
Cleveland has actually come a long way since when I was a college student there some 7 years ago - the downtown is being cleaned up and new stuff is being built etc. It's not Detroit by any stretch.

You know you're a neurologist when you have Peter Griffin as your avatar :)

Cleveland has actually come a long way since when I was a college student there some 7 years ago - the downtown is being cleaned up and new stuff is being built etc. It's not Detroit by any stretch.

I actually somewhat liked Cleveland, especially downtown. I did not say it was like Detroit - in fact, I said the exact opposite.

You know you're a neurologist when you have Peter Griffin as your avatar :)

Ain't that the truth ;)

Not the point of this thread but Detroit is improving by the month. Midtown n downtown are much better than they were 3 years ago. The city is definitely still not a reason to pick a program but soon might not be a reason to reject one.

If OP takes a pragmatic approach, the following things can be considered:

- Try to find a neurology residency that gives more emphasis on outpatient service during PGY2-3 years if there is such.
- Then narrow her scope of practice by doing a fellowship in a less acute area such as neurophysiology or movement.
- Then find a job with no call duties in an academic setting where she can limit her cases to her focus of interest. This would be very difficult to find in private practice, there is either call duty or one must see all kinds of cases to produce enough wRVUs.

There are unchanging facts across cultures and times when it comes to medical profession:
- The more cases you see during residency, the more comfortable you will be when you are out practicing on your own. See as many cases as possible during your training. Reading about a syndrome can never replace actually seeing and treating one.
- Be prepared to do more of those "monkey scut works" when you are out in practice, much more so for outpatient work (calling insurance companies or labs or consults, answering requests for med refills on Sat afternoons).
- Master more of that efficient note taking that is concise yet thorough, very convincing to judges and juries while not taking too much of your work time as next patient is getting increasing upset for waiting for you.
- Even the "low key" clinic work focused on your narrow scope will throw unannounced subtle cues harboring an impending disaster if you miss it and not take action immediately and quickly spiraling down to a court case. Often this means you must be very familiar with all the complicated and acute inpatient cases. Be very well prepared in training before you hang your medical license and put your name out there. Again, the more cases you see during training, the more chance of less mistakes. This is not just to protect yourself but, first and foremost, you are obligated to provide the best care to every single patient you see.

I wish you a great short residency life and a happy practice for a long time.

Reactions: 1 users