BIDMC Neurology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basketcellbro

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has any info on how residency admissions work at BIDMC (or other similarly academic programs).

Looking at their website, it looks like BIDMC has less residents coming from top med schools (which is nice for me, coming from a lowrr tier state school), but I was curious: are many publications expected? AOA? 260+ step 2? I imagine high clinical grades are needed, but am curious how competitive BIDMC/other top neuro residencies are.

I am specifically wondering if abtracts/clinical publications are “ok” instead of full on basic science publications, and whether higher-than-previous Step 2 scores will be needed since Step 1 is P/F.

Are they basically as competitive as X surgical subspecialty?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you know anything about the MATCH? That’s how the admission works at any/99% of residency program. Neurology is not that competitive in general (besides maybe top 10-20 programs).

Last edited:
besides maybe top 10-20 programs
Sorry if I was not clear in my question. I am asking which specific features of the application for BIDMC (and academic/top neurology programs) one should excel in compared to the average competitive specialty/specific program.

For example, is 1 basic science publication a de facto necessity? Or are several abstracts/clinical publications okay instead? Are audition rotations (for BIDMC specifically) very helpful (do they interview and most of the auditioning students who had a good rotation etc…)? Do they care as much about Step2 vs clinical grades/LORs?

I know the answer can always be “excel at every part of the application”, but I was hoping if anyone on here had specific info on BIDMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
BI is considered pretty competitive, and admissions there works the same as everywhere else. Ideally you have good scores, letters, grades, and some research. There are residents there that have very little if any research, but they stand out in other ways - and vice versa. There's probably not a specific score cutoff, but your data will be compared relative to everyone else who applies. I'm not a grad of their program but I can promise it's not rocket science.

Most programs like this consider auditions rotations helpful if you already have a pretty good application and you make a good impression in person. If you're not already someone they would consider competitive for their program, it probably won't matter.

Reactions: 1 users
Log into residencyexplorer, input your data, and search for BIDMC and you can see how much you measure up. You can input up to 3 different Step scores per test so assuming you have a Pass on Step 1 but haven’t taken step 2 yet, you can input a “predicted” or hopeful score outcome and see where it puts you (ie quartiles)