Hospital vaccine mandate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kind of funny that the real cause of all this is materialism and consumerism, which has resulted in the media that we have (all ratings based). Whether you follow Fox News, MSNBC, or CNN, it's just infotainment. Quite different than the more serious news outlets relied on in other countries (i.e. BBC).

Vaccines have become a partisan issue due to this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
An increased tax has basically been done before for healthcare. The tax penalty for no insurance coverage.

... Fox News, MSNBC, or CNN, it's just infotainment. Quite different than the more serious news outlets relied on in other countries (i.e. BBC).

Vaccines have become a partisan issue due to this.
So....we're talking about taxes, "partisan" issues and politically polarizing news outlets now and it's totally okay. Hmm... :unsure: that's weird.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There are LOTS of nurses, CNA and respiratory therapists on social media at my hospital who are banning together to walk out if they mandate the COVID vaccine, which our leadership is saying will happen in the next month or two. I'm sure there are non-vocal ones who are in that camp as well. I guess working short staffed for a while it is!
a lot of people threaten - until it they realize the hospital won't back down and they need to pay bills.

FWIW - pregnancy was considered an exemption, but NOT breast feeding or "I am trying to get pregnant" you had to have a documented positive pregnancy test

So....we're talking about taxes, "partisan" issues and politically polarizing news outlets now and it's totally okay. Hmm... :unsure: that's weird.
You’re gonna have to be less cryptic.

a lot of people threaten - until it they realize the hospital won't back down and they need to pay bills.

FWIW - pregnancy was considered an exemption, but NOT breast feeding or "I am trying to get pregnant" you had to have a documented positive pregnancy test

True, I just hope our hospital doesn't cave. There is a petition with 900 signatures from our hospital system from nurses, RTs, PT/OT and MAs, and they "claim" to march on DC in addition to our town capital and state capital. Shouldn't they use their energy to read on the vaccine and care for patients instead.

One nurse compared this to the Tuskegee situation...

I work at an edge rural hospital with big time staffing issues and honestly think their best move would be to not mandate it, and collect people from the bigger places who refuse to take it.

This is not to imply I don’t think everyone should get the vaccine, I do. Just that the staffing in this area is that bad right now.

True, I just hope our hospital doesn't cave. There is a petition with 900 signatures from our hospital system from nurses, RTs, PT/OT and MAs, and they "claim" to march on DC in addition to our town capital and state capital. Shouldn't they use their energy to read on the vaccine and care for patients instead.

Reactions: 1 user

just more proof of lack of education on the topic (and history with the tuskagee comparison) - the dunning kruger effect in all of its glory

Reactions: 1 users
I'd love to see any politician try to put this through.
Passing something politically and it being unconstitutional are two completely different things. Vaccine mandates are constitutional. The reason we are in this mess is not because we don't have the tools or the means via legal mechanisms, we are in this mess because of primarily partisan reasons. The vaccines work, it is safe, everyone needs to get it to stop this pandemic, all healthcare institutions should mandate it, others not getting it limits my right to life/liberty/happiness, and spreading misinformation based on politics is how we travel down the road to Idiocracy.

Reactions: 7 users
But how are they going to enforce it? Those silly cards that we all for? You can buy one on amazon and fake it.

Perfect is the enemy of good. I'll take a good idea and try to build on it vs inaction.

Members don't see this ad :)
But how are they going to enforce it? Those silly cards that we all for? You can buy one on amazon and fake it.
They've already been required in some ballparks in NYC and SF (or a negative covid test) so maybe they'll use the same methods for that. I think it's healthpass by Clear, but there's multiple other options.

Apollyon. Why bother? You all don't agree with me about the threats to freedom and individual rights. So we will leave it at that.

It's clear you all want to live in a Soviet-style "Show me your COVID papers" goulag. The price of liberty is eternal vigilance. If you voluntarily give up even a bit of freedom, they will take it all.

• Okay...
Reactions: 5 users
It's clear you all want to live in a Soviet-style "Show me your COVID papers" goulag. The price of liberty is eternal vigilance. If you voluntarily give up even a bit of freedom, they will take it all.
Dude, it's not black and white, on/off like you make it out to be. You sound like you have one speed, and say the same thing over and over. Anyone on your side is already there. Anyone contra to your side won't be converted.

Why do you think I could read you like I did above? Because you're a one topic person. Repeating your point, ad infinitum, becomes predictable.

Dude, it's not black and white, on/off like you make it out to be. You sound like you have one speed, and say the same thing over and over. Anyone on your side is already there. Anyone contra to your side won't be converted.

Why do you think I could read you like I did above? Because you're a one topic person. Repeating your point, ad infinitum, becomes predictable.

I choose to say "consistent in my beliefs"

Reactions: 2 users
Or maybe we're just tired of buffoons refusing the vaccine for no good reason and messing things up for the rest of us. Why should I wear a mask around or risk getting covid because you're scared of a tiny poke?

I choose to say "consistent in my beliefs"

I doubt it. Most Republicans/right-wingers are not at all consistent and support big government when it comes to endless wars, the surveillance state, warrantless wiretapping, Patriot Act, the military-industrial complex, the prison-industrial complex, ICE, etc. But, who knows, you might be an exception.

Ron (not Rand) Paul was consistent in his beliefs. Few others were or are.

Last edited:

Not sure why wearing masks and getting a vaccine is equated to taking away freedoms?

There are plenty of things we can’t do (or that the government mandates) that are not considered infringing on personal choice:

1. can’t run around in public completely naked
2. can’t stop paying taxes
3. can’t do illegal drugs even in my own house
4. can’t hunt bald eagles and eat them
5. can’t deny your child from getting life-saving chemotherapy (parents have tried)
6. can’t bring certain fruit into the country
7. can’t use certain roads without paying tolls.

I don’t understand why people are arbitrarily drawing the line at taking a (safe and effective) vaccine, or wearing a piece of cloth over their face.

Reactions: 7 users

But now pregnancy shouldn’t be a reason…ACOG, SMFM, etc recommend vaccination during pregnancy

Not sure why wearing masks and getting a vaccine is equated to taking away freedoms?

There are plenty of things we can’t do (or that the government mandates) that are not considered infringing on personal choice:

1. can’t run around in public completely naked
2. can’t stop paying taxes
3. can’t do illegal drugs even in my own house
4. can’t hunt bald eagles and eat them
5. can’t deny your child from getting life-saving chemotherapy (parents have tried)
6. can’t bring certain fruit into the country
7. can’t use certain roads without paying tolls.

I don’t understand why people are arbitrarily drawing the line at taking a (safe and effective) vaccine, or wearing a piece of cloth over their face.

Agreed.

When the Patriot Act became federal law we actually lost a healthy amount of personal privacy rights and arguably "freedoms" to big brother...and it was championed by the right.

Now federal/state/local governments are simply asking (and now also paying) people to do two simple, safe things to mitigate a public health crisis...and now the right is arguing that this is somehow the beginning of a government takeover of their entire lives.

Paranoia politics at its worst. And it's literally killing people as well as the golden goose that is/was our economy.

Last edited:
Interesting since Tuskegee was that they DIDNT treat…

Can't fix ignorant I guess...

Our admin got screenshots of nurses posting inflammatory comments and some are subject to termination. 75% are vaccinated so if we are short 25%, they can pay travelers a lot of money. Interestingly, 0% of the pharmacists, physicians, NP/PA were complaining about the mandate at my place....

Our hospital is just saying that you have to wear an N-95 if you are not vaccinated. Of course, the people who do this do it half-assed, so it's not a very effective policy.
What about your hospital? Any hospital you know of impose a vaccine mandate that is actually effective?
Is your hospital willing to accept proof of immunity in lieu of proof of vaccination?

In other words, if you contracted Covid, tested positive, and then subsequently tested antibody/T-cell positive will they accept these documents?

If not, why not? As physicians it behooves us to apply the knowledge we have rationally, not mindlessly comply with the dictates of English majors in HR.

Last edited:
Is your hospital willing to accept proof of immunity in lieu of proof of vaccination?

In other words, if you contracted Covid, tested positive, and then subsequently tested antibody/T-cell positive will they accept these documents?

If not, why not? As physicians it behooves us to apply the knowledge we have rationally, not mindlessly comply with the dictates of English majors in HR.

What immunity is better to achieve? One via the virus itself or one from a vaccine?

What immunity is better to achieve? One via the virus itself or one from a vaccine?
When it comes to Covid and the current crop vaccines for it, documented natural immunity appears to be clearly superior to vaccine mediated immunity.

• Dislike
I'm very skeptical that a vaccine, which exposes the immune system to one viral protein, is going to create better immunity that an infection which exposes the immune system to that same protein, and all the other virus's proteins. I could be wrong. I'm not a virologist, immunologist or vaccine expert. But I'm skeptical.

• Dislike
When it comes to Covid and the current crop vaccines for it, documented natural immunity appears to be clearly superior to vaccine mediated immunity.

Are there studies to back that up?

Also is it really worth risking all the complications from COVID including death and long haul Covid to get natural immunity?

Even if the vaccine is not superior to natural immunity it is hard to say vaccine has not helped to prevent symptoms and complications of severe COVID and kept people out of hospital and from dying. So yes the vaccine is saving lives as our hospitalization and death rate would be much higher is we had no vaccine at all.

I'm very skeptical that a vaccine, which exposes the immune system to one viral protein, is going to create better immunity that an infection which exposes the immune system to that same protein, and all the other virus's proteins. I could be wrong. I'm not a virologist, immunologist or vaccine expert. But I'm skeptical.
That would seem logical, but there are known cases where its more complicated than that. Measles being the prime example.

It doesn’t seem that far fetched. The body can clear the infection by responding to a lot of second-tier easily mutate-able proteins versus a highly targeted essential virus protein that the vaccine pumps out.

That would seem logical, but there are known cases where its more complicated than that. Measles being the prime example.
It's certainly possible. But I tend to believe what seems logical, until proven otherwise. Honestly, though, his question doesn't really matter that much to me. I've had the vaccine and I'm sure that in the past 2 years I've had some COVID virons in me, at some point, also. So, I'm probably double covered, which is another point people are ignoring in this issue.

But I'm sure someone will post that having had COVID and the vaccine gives you worse protection than the vaccine alone, or COVID infection alone, for some reason, in 3, 2, 1 ...

Last edited:
It doesn’t seem that far fetched. The body can clear the infection by responding to a lot of second-tier easily mutate-able proteins versus a highly targeted essential virus protein that the vaccine pumps out.
That alternate explanation is possible. A lot of things are possible. But, what proof is there that that's what that happens with COVID? A bunch of hastily done studies that disagree, doesn't count.

Isn't asking, "Who's more immune, the vaccinated or those post-COVID infection," silly at this point? We're not dealing with only those two groups. There's a third group: Those who've been vaccinated, but also have had their immune systems exposed to COVID unknowingly and with no way to prove it.

How many studies are there comparing "vaccinated" versus "post-COVID patients" without taking into account that any results showing higher immunity in the vaccinated is due to the vaccinated also having had their immune system exposed to COVID unknowingly, either before, or especially after vaccination?

With the virus still spreading and very few precautions being taken, certainly millions of our 150+ million vaccinated have been exposed to COVID, had an immune response, and either not known it, or had symptoms so mild they didn't even think to get tested for COVID because they think they can't get it post-vaccine.

Of course those "vaccinated" patients are going to show better immunity: Because they're being categorized in one group, while had the benefit of being in both groups at the same time.

Last edited:
Even if immunity from infection is better, I would rather take the vaccine and have a slightly higher risk of getting COVID A first time than getting infected in the first place and dealing with the risks of covid itself.

Well the virologists disagree and unless years of training and specialization don't matter anymore, we should be trusting the experts that say the vaccine offers more robust protection than natural immunity that comes from creating antibodies to random proteins on the virus.

Well the virologists disagree and unless years of training and specialization don't matter anymore, we should be trusting the experts that say the vaccine offers more robust protection than natural immunity that comes from creating antibodies to random proteins on the virus.
How do you (or your experts) separate and compare pure vaccine-based immunity, from post-infection immunity, when tens of millions of the vaccinated certainly have also been exposed to COVID at some point, and therefore have both types of immunity?

Last edited:
How many of the vaccinated also got exposed to COVID at some point, have vaccine-induced immunity plus natural immunity, and don’t even know it?
We don't know, but why is that question even relevant? The vaccine produces a robust protection that natural immunity has not proven to. Whether vaccine + covid vs vaccine alone is better is irrelevant to whether we should be mandating the vaccine.

Are there studies to back that up?

I'm also curious to know if there are good studies supporting this.

One state I work tracks data showing 98% of current cases are from the unvaccinated (and more than 50% of their population is fully vaccinated). And that matches up with I'm seeing in the ED -- faaaar more first or repeat covid infections in the unvaccinated than breakthrough infections in the vaccinated.

Last edited:
We don't know, but why is that question even relevant?
Bad data in equals bad data out. Bad data equals a poorer understanding.
The vaccine produces a robust protection that natural immunity has not proven to.
Natural immunity doesn't offer protection? Why is it termed immunity if it doesn't offer a degree of immunity? I can't say I've really seen many people with recurrent documented COVID-19 infections whether immunized or not.

We don't know, but why is that question even relevant? The vaccine produces a robust protection that natural immunity has not proven to. Whether vaccine + covid vs vaccine alone is better is irrelevant to whether we should be mandating the vaccine.
I agree that everyone should get the vaccine (duh!) I got it myself last December and got my wife and kids vaccinated very early, also. But that's very different from the scientific question of whether pure vaccine based immunity is superior to natural immunity. You can't say that, or even compare the two without knowing how many vaccinated also have naturally immunity. That's all I'm saying. In no way am I saying, "Don't get vaccinated." Everyone should get vaccinated!

Because here's the real truth, that nobody is saying:

Vaccine immunity isn't strongest. Natural immunity isn't strongest.

Having both is!

And that's what most of us vaccinated, have. We've been vaccinated and our immunity is robust. It's because we've been vaccinated and we're living life coming in contact with the virus.

More reason to get vaccinated.

But saying, "I'm right because the experts are on my side," without even saying which expert you're quoting or showing their proof means nothing. Plus, experts are wrong often. They produce bullcrap, junk research (not always but( often and are proven wrong (not always but) often when study, after study after studies come out, with disagreeing findings. So we need to listen to them, but still use our own brains.

And yes, get vaccinated (duh).

Last edited:
Can you please provide a citation for this claim?

The reason the vaccine works so well is because the mRNA causes your cells to pump out vast numbers of spike proteins (more than what the body is subjected to during a natural exposure).

The latest things I've read seem to think that one or two booster shots are all that may be needed to provide life-long immunity (similar to the MMR series).

Status
Not open for further replies.