Hopkins: Living in Baltimore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

publichealth06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any current or former Hopkins students who could comment on living in Baltimore?

From what I've heard it's a rough city, especially the area where the school of public health is located. You have to take more caution and avoid certain areas. There is so much security around the medical campus, but it also almost feels like a fortress (which is not so good). Most students live near the other campus then take a 15 minute shuttle ride to the medical campus each day.

On the other hand, Baltimore can be a liveable city and different neighborhoods have lots of character. It's a 45 minute train ride from Washington DC. Living in an inner city could be a good experience in itself.

What have been your experiences? Is the 15 minute shuttle ride every day tedious? Do you feel very unsafe? Do you feel comfortable walking around by yourself? How is safety at the other (non-medical) campus? Are there fun things to do at night?

Also, is it better live in student housing or off campus? What is student housing like--do you have your own kitchen or is like an undergraduate set-up where you have to eat cafeteria food everyday?

Thanks for sharing!

Members don't see this ad.

I actaully still live in Baltimore. Moved here for school at Hopkins. So I can answer most of your questions.

Hopkins is a rough city, but it's all about knowing where you are and where you shouldn't be. Baltimore can also be a really nice city, but it's a CITY. With city problems. Yes, there's a crime problem, drug problem, etc... However most of the time I think it keeps to itself unless you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. I feel safe here in Baltimore, however I have always lived in a big city so I am very comfortable with the problems of a city.

You can live near the Medical campus or the main campus. The two big areas I would look at is Charles Village or Mt. Vernon. There's a shuttle from the main Hopkins campus to the medical campus and it run's pretty frequently. I don't have a problem taking it although sometimes the people riding the bus can be a little stressful.

There are plenty of things to do it at night it just depends on what you like to do. There are great restaurants, plenty of bars, and some independent movie houses (if that's your sceen). It all really depends on what you like to do.

I had a few friends lived on campus and they all had very different opinions on it. There are some singles that are just like undergrad dorms except there's no cafateria to get food at. In other words no kitchen, bathroom, living room just one room for all your stuff. Then there's the suites they have more stuff in it. The biggest problem is there's not much to do around that particular area that's really safe at night. So they got a little bored but all of them had cars to be able to leave with.

I hope that helps but if you have more questions please feel free to ask me.

publichealth06 said:
Are there any current or former Hopkins students who could comment on living in Baltimore?

From what I've heard it's a rough city, especially the area where the school of public health is located. You have to take more caution and avoid certain areas. There is so much security around the medical campus, but it also almost feels like a fortress (which is not so good). Most students live near the other campus then take a 15 minute shuttle ride to the medical campus each day.

On the other hand, Baltimore can be a liveable city and different neighborhoods have lots of character. It's a 45 minute train ride from Washington DC. Living in an inner city could be a good experience in itself.

What have been your experiences? Is the 15 minute shuttle ride every day tedious? Do you feel very unsafe? Do you feel comfortable walking around by yourself? How is safety at the other (non-medical) campus? Are there fun things to do at night?

Also, is it better live in student housing or off campus? What is student housing like--do you have your own kitchen or is like an undergraduate set-up where you have to eat cafeteria food everyday?

Thanks for sharing!

I'll second what Boogita said about living in Charles Village or Mount Vernon. The shuttle that Hopkins has is very helpful to get to and from class. Driving in Baltimore can be a pain in the *ss. All those one-way streets and you make the wrong turn and you wind up in the ghetto (from personal experience).

I wouldn't worry about living in Baltimore too much - you just have to have keep a general awareness around you- keep aware of your surroundings - just like any other city. It is a rough city - I went to undergrad there and lived there for 4 years and nothing bad ever happened to me- but make sure you get a safe place and don't just get an apartment because it's cheap because it may not be in a good area. I had a friend who did that and she did not have a good experience.

It is about 45 minutes away from DC. And there is a commuter rail that operates during the week that you can take down to DC. And like Boogita said there is a lot to do there. The inner harbor is nice, as is Fell's Point. And if you like seafood (especially crabcakes) - you will be very happy :oops:

Good luck!