Thoughts on Hopkins MPH program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

levothyroxine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I got accepted to the Hopkins MPH program today! I'm excited to go into this program and was wondering what other people's thoughts were regarding their program.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! I had a great time in the program. I used the knowledge and skills I gained on a daily basis for work I really enjoy. Good luck to you!

I have seen online people saying that the program since it's 1 year is intense and doesn't give you a lot of time to do other things? Is that how you felt?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen online people saying that the program since it's 1 year is intense and doesn't give you a lot of time to do other things? Is that how you felt?
No, I didn't feel that way at all. I had plenty of time to take advantage of clubs, lectures, events, etc.

No, I didn't feel that way at all. I had plenty of time to take advantage of clubs, lectures, events, etc.

Can you tell me how the MPH practicum experience was for you? I'm confused how we will be able to do that within the 11 months.

Can you tell me how the MPH practicum experience was for you? I'm confused how we will be able to do that within the 11 months.
Hmm.. I did the MPH as part of a preventive medicine residency program. If I recall correctly, some of the requirements of the residency took the place of the practicum experience for me. So I'm sorry I'm probably not the best person to ask about that aspect! I believe the minimum requirement is for 100 hours, though, so definitely doable over the better part of a year!

Current Hopkins student (not an MPH, but I have acquaintances in the program). A lot of students fulfill the "practicum" with a normal class that has practical elements. There are a few of these classes that count, and they're not more strenuous than a normal class, I believe.

I think it's overall a good program with a few pitfalls. Would need to know a bit more about your interests and background to determine if they'd apply to you.

Current Hopkins student (not an MPH, but I have acquaintances in the program). A lot of students fulfill the "practicum" with a normal class that has practical elements. There are a few of these classes that count, and they're not more strenuous than a normal class, I believe.

I think it's overall a good program with a few pitfalls. Would need to know a bit more about your interests and background to determine if they'd apply to you.

I'm a medical graduate who did her medical school abroad, yet I did all my high school, middle school here in America.
I'm interested primarily in epi and especially pharmacoepi

Oh, cool! Hopkins has a center with a large pharmacoepidemiology focus.
CDSE: Center for Drug Safety & Effectiveness

The pitfalls I was talking about are more along the lines of: some people prefer a 2-year degree to a 1-year, since 2 years makes it easier to establish connections with faculty and get seriously involved with research projects, etc. But that's not true for everyone - some people love the 1-year degree! Also the MPH cohort seems quite close, and I admire that it has people from a lot of different backgrounds (I find this to be less true in other masters' programs, since they don't have the 2-year working requirement.)

You should definitely reach out to CDSE and ask if you can speak to a current student or faculty member - they'd be able to give you a much better lowdown than I could!