Honestly dentistry sucks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

privatedds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its repetitive mind numbing job. Pretty close to guys in third world making nike shoes for living. Only reason to do it was because it paid well but thats not even true anymore.

Dental school costs 500k. If you add residency that requires tuition, thats going close to a Mil. And you just wasted 7 years of your life after undergrad.

Seriously wth man. I graduated over 10 years ago so I barely made it but guys going into this profession now, it will be tough.

Look at my another thread. Just do OS or GP implant guy if you want money.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Its repetitive mind numbing job. Pretty close to guys in third world making nike shoes for living. Only reason to do it was because it paid well but thats not even true anymore.

Dental school costs 500k. If you add residency that requires tuition, thats going close to a Mil. And you just wasted 7 years of your life after undergrad.

Seriously wth man. I graduated over 10 years ago so I barely made it but guys going into this profession now, it will be tough.

Look at my another thread. Just do OS or GP implant guy if you want money.
I mean yea, if you are wired to do OMFS you should absolutely pursue it. Incredible income potential. But, dude, they earn it. “Just do OMFS” sounds kind of ridiculous. It’s an incredibly challenging path and profession. Definitely not meant for everyone. Tons of risk and terrible patients to deal with. There’s a reason they make a ton of money. I do agree though, dentistry does kind of suck. Definitely easier ways to make good money.

Reactions: 9 users
I was thinking about it the other day. Kids are attracted to it because of the “Dr” title and the prospect of good money. And the thing with dentistry is, you know after school you’re pretty much guaranteed a 6 figure salary. Not that $150K is some crazy number now a days. But still, as a 22 year old, knowing that by the time you are 26 or 27 you could be making that is encouraging. So people like the security of the job prospect. Besides being groomed for a financial position right out of college where you pretty much have to have connections, there aren’t too many obvious opportunities that guarantee around $200K. So on paper it sounds great.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's why it's better to work hard when your young healthy body/mind can tolerate the heavy workload. Once the debts are paid off debt and you save enough for future retirement (hopefully in your late 30s, early 40s if you earn the DDS at 26), you don't have to worry about work anymore. With a nice income and being debt-free , you only need to work a few days a week and find other fun things to do. It's called delayed gratification.

But if you have the YOLO mentality and only work 3-4 days a week when your are in your mid 20s, then you will have to face the same miserable job to pay back the debts for the next 2-3 decades of your life. You will be a miserable 50-60 yo dentist. At this age, you're supposed to enjoy a semi-retire lifestyle.

Work is not supposed to be fun. Most jobs are repetitive and dentistry is no exception. Repetitiveness is actually a good thing....it's called experience. Your job becomes easier and less stressful (because you will make less mistakes....get fewer complaints from patients) when you do the same procedures again and again. The repetitiveness is what help you get better paid job. Many employers prefer to hire dentists who have 2-3 yrs of experience.

Getting paid well is the main reason that a lot of people have to stay with their jobs even though they hate them....oil rig workers, construction workers, plummers, pilots, truck drivers, physicians, nurses, dentists etc. The ones, who love what they do, usually don't make much....music teachers, low paid musicians, church singers, average MLS soccer players, NFL cheerleaders, high school coaches etc. Again, work is not supposed to be fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Every job on earth is repetitive. Major grass is greener syndrome on this website.

Reactions: 16 users
I feel like every job has gone through this cycle of being the best job… and when you choose and pick that job- by the time you enter the field- the golden days are gone.

Back in my day 2006-pharmacy and dentistry was all the rage. Back in 2006- I was a SDN lurker and the boards were extremely active and positive. Look at pharmacy today- one visit to the sdn boards and you will see many disgruntled graduates. On this board, (dental), there are some people warning about the current state of dentistry but the pessimism isn't as bad as pharmacy because there is still some positives and opportunities to do well in dentistry.

In 2014-2020 it became more about tech and how great it was- and I would argue that it's still all the rage. 4 years of schooling with minimal debt, 100-150k starting salaries, remote work, and with stock equity your package can be 200k+ with a whole slew of benefits like free gym, uber, etc. By the time you are 30+ you are earning easy 200-300k+...with no debt to your name.

But today, with the layoffs- the golden age of tech workers might be done to. Doesn't mean its bad- its just not as good.

Today I hear the rage is with tradeschools- minimal debt and in demand. Plumbers, electricians, etc.

Bottom line is that dentistry's golden days are long gone and its harder to be more successful.

Another bottom line- is by the time you hear about all the rage- usually by the time you get there- the golden days are over. Same can be said about stocks.

If I had to start over today, I would def look into trade schools or some areas of tech like data scientist. Not software engineer and I would def steer away from all healthcare.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
This is why you should only go into a field that you enjoy and have an interest in. Life is too short. I cannot tell you how many people I have met that go into dentistry for the wrong reasons (money, work/balance, title seem to be the top three) and end up deeply unhappy. Dentistry is not a profession I would recommend for everyone to go into, but that could be said for pretty much everything. Applicants should really explore their interests and imagine how it lines up with the work of a dentist without considering the "benefits" that are realized outside of work. If you enjoy direct patient care then dentistry may be a good choice. If you are expecting an easy, well paying job, with tons of time off and no responsibility, then look elsewhere.

Reactions: 2 users
What other jobs that require less work hours and less responsibility… and pay well and have long term stability?

*Great* Soccer player. Too bad I shattered my knee playing rugby. So here I am with you fine teeth people :)

Reactions: 1 user
What other jobs that require less work hours and less responsibility… and pay well and have long term stability?
I live in a wealthy city with a lot of wealthy friends. And I obviously don’t know the details of their business and financial situations, but I would say real estate development and wealth management are two industries which have held on for decades and pay extremely well. I see them renovating and building multimillion dollar houses, sending multiple kids to $30K/ year private school, joining $100K country clubs. I do well and can’t afford all that, for now at least. So I assume they are bringing in close to $750K- $1mill/ year. Point being, I know their work hours, obligations, and daily dealings. It’s not easy, and there are major stresses, but it’s not near the labor we experience and they don’t deal with the miserable people we deal with.

Reactions: 3 users

I would argue that until you are fully debt free and or on the path to being debt free that this comment rings true.

Having a practice loan, house loan and student loans and not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for 30 years means you have to budget and hope that everything is paid off in x amount of years.

Once you have everything paid off and an actual retirement planned out, you are just stuck in debt and have no real freedom. The amount of dentists you meet that are 50+ and have student loans and big toys (planes boats) that they are still paying off are numerous.

I live in a wealthy city with a lot of wealthy friends. And I obviously don’t know the details of their business and financial situations, but I would say real estate development and wealth management are two industries which have held on for decades and pay extremely well. I see them renovating and building multimillion dollar houses, sending multiple kids to $30K/ year private school, joining $100K country clubs. I do well and can’t afford all that, for now at least. So I assume they are bringing in close to $750K- $1mill/ year. Point being, I know their work hours, obligations, and daily dealings. It’s not easy, and there are major stresses, but it’s not near the labor we experience and they don’t deal with the miserable people we deal with.
These are very smart business investors. They have special skills that most of us don't have. They are the elite 1%. Most of us, Asians, don't have such kind of talent and that's why we choose a safer more predictable route, a healthcare profession. We suck at social skills/leadership skills but we are pretty good at reading the textbooks and get As in science classes. Well, at least dentistry helps bring my family closer to the same level as this 1% elite club. My son has a few classmates at his Catholic HS, who have ultra wealthy parents like the ones you mentioned above. My former neighbor who lived across from me was the general manager of the LA Angels baseball team. He came to ask me about his daughter's ortho tx a few times. He bought the house and paid it in full. I only put 10% on mine and had to take out a 2nd small loan to cover the other 10% so I could avoid paying the require PMI insurance.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Here is an interesting article that talks about the top 1% earners in the US. 95% of them make money themselves and only 5% inherited it. 90% are college graduates and 3 out of 4 did not go to an Ivy school. 80% are Asian. 80% live quietly and don’t show off their wealth. And for every $100 that they make, $35 came from owning a business....$28 came from working for someone else....and much smaller amount came from investments, real estates, and inheritance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
This guys a troll, he posted in another thread that he graduated in '12 and now makes a mill a year and is now going to go back to residency so he can "make more money". nice try

This guys a troll, he posted in another thread that he graduated in '12 and now makes a mill a year and is now going to go back to residency so he can "make more money". nice try
Not a troll. No need to lie.

...live quietly and don’t show off their wealth.
I would argue that it helps that if one is wealthy, that they only stay wealthy by ignoring lifestyle creep. They spend money if they need to, not because they have all the cash and want to spend it.
Making me feel guilty for doing 4 days 😂
Yes, but I would argue that you're one of the lucky few associates who gets a job with a supportive owner, and don't need to hustle (as hard) as your fellow classmates who graduated alongside you. I'm sure the vast majority of associates do not get jobs that have a supportive environment or a busy enough schedule, and thus need to hustle at multiple offices and more days a week. So if one has an environment at work such as yours, I would argue that one doesn't "need" to work more than you do at your place.

Making me feel guilty for doing 4 days 😂 @charlestweed
If you look at the trends….increase in number of new dental grads (due to the openings of new schools), dentists receive smaller payments from the dental insurance companies, higher cost of living (less purchasing power due to inflation), your monthly living expenses continue to increase (if you decide to have kid…or kids later on), your health continue to decline (due to aging) etc, you can deduce that your personal finance will be worse than what it is right now. The problem is you can’t control any these negative trends. The only thing that you can control is your income. When you work 4 days/wk, which is 1 day/wk less than the average for most American workers, you are not at your maximum income earning potential.

How do you know the right amount you should make? No more than 30% of your income should go toward paying for your shelter (home mortgage + tax + insurance if you are a homeowner or monthly rent if you are a renter). Another 15% of your income should be put aside for your future retirement. If you have to spend more than 30% toward the house payments and/or if you put less than 15% aside for retirement, then you don’t make enough. You need to make more…find a 2nd part time job on the weekends to supplement your income.

When can you retire? Most financial advisors suggest your retirement income should be around 75-80% of your preretirement income. If you can’t achieve that, you have to keep on working.

Last edited:
With the way milenialls/gen z are thinking these days and the cost of tuition there's no way in hell I'd recommend dental school. 99% of dental students are not gonna sacrifice their life serving in the military/work in rural areas for a scholarship. It's just not gonna happen...

No more than 30% of your income should go toward paying for your shelter (home mortgage + tax + insurance if you are a homeowner or monthly rent if you are a renter).
What if you're living in a high cost of living area, say, something like the OC? This is assuming one is early in their career, dental or not.
Another 15% of your income should be put aside for your future retirement.
I aim for 20 myself. Out of the two major things that are important for retirement (time and consistency), you can only control the latter, so I personally choose to consistently save/invest 20 percent. I think it was Warren Buffet who said it, but you shouldn't get your paycheck, spend the money that you want, then invest the rest (if you have any left over); what you should do is invest a portion first, then you are allowed to spend the rest.

What if you're living in a high cost of living area, say, something like the OC? This is assuming one is early in their career, dental or not.
When you have to use more than 30% of your income, it means you can’t afford to live there. You need to work more days (side hustle) to increase the income. If you are not willing to do that, you have to move to another area that has cheaper rent. A lot of people have moved from OC to the neighboring counties (Riverside and San Bernadino) for more affordable housing.

Watch this video for the answer to your question......fast forward to minutes 20:00, if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

Last edited:
These are very smart business investors. They have special skills that most of us don't have. They are the elite 1%. Most of us, Asians, don't have such kind of talent and that's why we choose a safer more predictable route, a healthcare profession. We suck at social skills/leadership skills but we are pretty good at reading the textbooks and get As in science classes. Well, at least dentistry helps bring my family closer to the same level as this 1% elite club. My son has a few classmates at his Catholic HS, who have ultra wealthy parents like the ones you mentioned above. My former neighbor who lived across from me was the general manager of the LA Angels baseball team. He came to ask me about his daughter's ortho tx a few times. He bought the house and paid it in full. I only put 10% on mine and had to take out a 2nd small loan to cover the other 10% so I could avoid paying the require PMI insurance.
Why did you single out Asians?

Why did you single out Asians?
Because the percentage of Asians in leadership positions is not very high. And this is fact.

Because the percentage of Asians in leadership positions is not very high. And this is fact.
Seems racist to me.

Seems racist to me.
It's not racism. Leadership position should be based on the skill level and qualification of the individual, not on his/her race or gender. Being book smart in school doesn't necessarily make you a good leader. America is a multicultural nation.....equal opportunity for everyone. That's what is great about this nation.

• Care
It's not racism. Leadership position should be based on the skill level and qualification of the individual, not on his/her race or gender. Being book smart in school doesn't necessarily make you a good leader. America is a multicultural nation.....equal opportunity for everyone. That's what is great about this nation.
I agree. It's just that stating facts like about the percentages of people in jail versus the regular population people say that's racism

I am an endodontist and love what I do. 95+% of days when I wake up, I am excited to go to work. The other 5% of days, it is usually at the end of a long week and I wish I could stay in bed to sleep more or I know I have a difficult patient situation I have to deal with. I did general dentistry for a few years prior to returning to endo and detested what I did - I felt like a carpenter doing fills all day and it made me want to vomit sometimes when I drove to work. That being said, I have a good friend who is also an endodontist and she tells me being an endo wants to make her vomit. She cannot stand direct patient care because it gives her anxiety. She went into dentistry for the stable income. I bring in good income as an endo but that wasn't the primary reason I returned to residency to specialize - it is because I love what I do. Don't chase money - it leads nowhere. Cultivate your passions instead.

I am an endodontist and love what I do. 95+% of days when I wake up, I am excited to go to work. The other 5% of days, it is usually at the end of a long week and I wish I could stay in bed to sleep more or I know I have a difficult patient situation I have to deal with. I did general dentistry for a few years prior to returning to endo and detested what I did - I felt like a carpenter doing fills all day and it made me want to vomit sometimes when I drove to work. That being said, I have a good friend who is also an endodontist and she tells me being an endo wants to make her vomit. She cannot stand direct patient care because it gives her anxiety. She went into dentistry for the stable income. I bring in good income as an endo but that wasn't the primary reason I returned to residency to specialize - it is because I love what I do. Don't chase money - it leads nowhere. Cultivate your passions instead.
If your friend doesn't like endo why did she become one? just for the $$?

Yup, but it is not worth it to her
is she at least good at what she does though? curious how long she has been out.

I often wonder if I actually don't like the procedures, or I don't like that I'm not that great at doing them since I'm still training as a resident.

I always like it when they come back and things look great though

As an asian myself...I remember a few Asian faculty at my big H dental school blatantly said that they like white students more because white students on average tend to be better looking/ look less nerdy than their Asian counterparts..
People judge you based on your look, is it fair???? hell, no...but it is part of life. AND LIFE IS NOT FAIR...

Last edited:
As an asian myself...I remember a few Asian faculty at my big H dental school blatantly said that they like white students more because white students on average tend to be better looking/ look less nerdy than their Asian counterparts..
People judge you based on your look, is it fair???? hell, no...but it is part of life. AND LIFE IS NOT FAIR...
Yeah, I know what you meant. But in this esthetically driven world, personal appearance and grooming are very important. There are countless number of industries and jobs that require good look.....such as news reporting, motion picture, fitness training, fashion designing, plastic surgery, orthodontics etc. When I went to an ortho interview at a program that I really liked, I was very intimated by how good looking all the other applicants were….they were all very tall….. I was the only short ( 5’5”) asian guy there. I was very surprised that they picked me (I went to a non-match ortho program) over all th0se good looking guys and gals. Everyone in the admission committee was white.

My hairs went gray very early. I started using hair dye when I was in my early 40s. I get the haircut done every 2 weeks and I do spend a considerable amount of time to style my hair before going to work/church. I used to wear tie to go to work. Now, I just wear nice dress slacks and shirt. Nobody wants to see an old nerdy looking orthodontist. I am not young anymore. I’ve just turned 51.

I don’t mean to derail this conversation but I'm saddened by what comes across as serious internalized racism. As a different type of Asian, I’ve been on the tail end of similar comments about appearance and behavior when the stereotypes are not remotely accurate. These kinds of people get off on degrading you for daring to enter a historically exclusive and competitive industry, and no amount of sharp clothes, hair dye, or gregarious attitude is going to change the way they think about you.

The worst thing you can do is put yourself down for not having “social/leadership skills”, this is how self-fulfilling prophecies work. Nobody is born with these things, but when you grow up constantly being told that people that look like you act or look a certain way, it’s easy to internalize this way of thinking.

Reactions: 8 users
As someone who also recently turned 51, I respectfully disagree with you! We ARE still young! Even if our kids think we're ancient fossils! ;):rofl:
Amen. Turned 60 the other day. I'm in the BEST shape of my life. Eat right and exercise. And btw .... I'm half Asian and I'm far from nerdy. ;)
Life and your personal perspective is what you make of it. Live life. Be happy.

I versed a 60 year old the other day in tennis. He beat me. Guy was good. Beat a 34 year old here.

Life goals man. 50 retired, playing tennis and traveling. Maybe work 2-3 days a week part time for health insurance. That's living life right there.

I versed a 60 year old the other day in tennis. He beat me. Guy was good. Beat a 34 year old here.

Life goals man. 50 retired, playing tennis and traveling. Maybe work 2-3 days a week part time for health insurance. That's living life right there.
That’s the reward he gets for his hard work during his younger years. You will be like him when you reach his age. The harder to you work now, the less you will have to work later. “Live like no one else so that later you can live and give like no one else.” Dave Ramsey.

Be careful not to put too much stress on your body. Both of my cousins, who are at my age, are very active tennis players. One of them has a chronic elbow pain that doesn't go away but he doesn't want to quit playing because he really enjoys it. The other cousin has a back and an ankle problems but he doesn't want to quit playing either. I am afraid that they may suffer chronic pain later in their life. But what do I know....I am just a dentist. Both of my cousins are doctors...one is an anesthesiologist and the other one is a rheumatologist.

Last edited:
That’s the reward he gets for his hard work during his younger years. You will be like him when you reach his age. The harder to you work now, the less you will have to work later. “Live like no one else so that later you can live and give like no one else.” Dave Ramsey.

Be careful not to put too much stress on your body. Both of my cousins, who are at my age, are very active tennis players. One of them has a chronic elbow pain that doesn't go away but he doesn't want to quit playing because he really enjoys it. The other cousin has a back and an ankle problems but he doesn't want to quit playing either. I am afraid that they may suffer chronic pain later in their life. But what do I know....I am just a dentist. Both of my cousins are doctors...one is an anesthesiologist and the other one is a rheumatologist.

Yeah...so I heard. I think if I ever get one of those injuries...I'll be done with tennis. Tennis elbow is no joke.

Not all Asians are inferior looking. My wife is 50 and she looks better than many Asian pop stars. I'll be 52 in a few weeks and some of my patients think I look like I just graduated DS. You're absolutely right...LIFE IS NOT FAIR. We Asians will never athletically outperform Lebron James and Patrick Mahomes. Being Asian is a disadvantage when applying to many elite colleges otherwise those colleges would be all Asian. My father said we have to do our jobs better. To be honest, I don't do my job any better...I just talk better...lol.
Playing tennis can be very stressful to the joints. I used to compete and my neighbor was a semi-pro. He had 3 surgeries each on his shoulder and on his elbow and they are now inoperable. You may have to decrease the racket string tension and re-learn to hit with less stress like Roger Federer and not like Rafael Nadal's hard hitting style. Other than a hurt ego, you're not going to starve or lose that endorsement deal by not hitting that high risk shot or not making that 140 mph serve.

Last edited:
Not all Asians are inferior looking. My wife is 50 and she looks better than many Asian pop stars. I'll be 52 in a few weeks and some of my patients think I look like I just graduated DS. You're absolutely right...LIFE IS NOT FAIR. We Asians will never athletically outperform Lebron James and Patrick Mahomes. Being Asian is a disadvantage when applying to many elite colleges otherwise those colleges would be all Asian. My father said we have to do our jobs better. To be honest, I don't do my job any better...I just talk better...lol.

Playing tennis can be very stressful to the joints. I used to compete and my neighbor was a semi-pro. He had 3 surgeries each on his shoulder and on his elbow and they are now inoperable. You may have to decrease the racket string tension and re-learn to hit with less stress like Roger Federer and not like Rafael Nadal's hard hitting style. Other than a hurt ego, you're not going to starve or lose that endorsement deal by not hitting that high risk shot or not mWaking that 140 mph serve.
nah, . White people are clueless when it comes to guessing asians' age. Americans also tend to give fake compliments a lot so ..."just graduate DS compliment is just a little too extreme". We are talking about Harvard here...you will find the nerdiest of the nerds there
Average White people tend to look quite presentable as long as they are young, slim and well kempt. At harvard, they can also afford to be a little more picky too. I had an Asian classmate who is n the 5'5" - 5'6" with shoes on. at that height, even Burberry/ Prada cant help him that much. He is also in oral surgery field which usually has lots of tall/ blond white dudes. It doesnt help him that much. he also told me that he had to shop in the teenager section to find stuffs that fit his frame.

Last edited:
nah, . White people are clueless when it comes to guessing asians' age. Americans also tend to give fake compliments a lot so ..."just graduate DS compliment is just a little too extreme". We are talking about Harvard here...you will find the nerdiest of the nerds there
Average White people tend to look quite presentable as long as they are young, slim and well kempt. At harvard, they can also afford to be a little more picky too. I had an Asian classmate who is n the 5'5" - 5'6" with shoes on. at that height, even Burberry/ Prada cant help him that much. He is also in oral surgery field which usually has lots of tall/ blond white dudes. It doesnt help him that much. he also told me that he had to shop in the teenager section to find stuffs that fit his frame.
You're right on those perspectives. However, in many cases, Asians look much younger than their age as in the video below. I can confidently state that my wife and I look younger than 50.

I would guess their true age to be about 10-15 years older than their appearance especially that man who is 55.

It is sad but according to various dating sources, Asian men are the least desirable to date in the US. Growing up, my brother was so ashamed of being Asian. In terms of height, the younger generation of Asian men are getting pretty tall due to improved nutrition. Where I'm located in the Pacific NW, we have so much diversity and acceptance of all groups. There seem to be similar representation of all races and ethnicity that are short, medium height (5'9' to 6') and tall. I try to avoid areas that are less friendly to Asians like in the rural Midwest, Plains (where I grew up), and the South. I assumed the NE (Harvard) would have a lot of diversity and acceptance.

• Haha
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You're right on those perspectives. However, in many cases, Asians look much younger than their age as in the video below. I can confidently state that my wife and I look younger than 50.

I would guess their true age to be about 10-15 years older than their appearance especially that man who is 55.

It is sad but according to various dating sources, Asian men are the least desirable to date in the US. Growing up, my brother was so ashamed of being Asian. In terms of height, the younger generation of Asian men are getting pretty tall due to improved nutrition. Where I'm located in the Pacific NW, we have so much diversity and acceptance of all groups. There seem to be similar representation of all races and ethnicity that are short, medium height (5'9' to 6') and tall. I try to avoid areas that are less friendly to Asians like in the rural Midwest, Plains (where I grew up), and the South. I assumed the NE (Harvard) would have a lot of diversity and acceptance.

Yeah, white people on average tend to look better than asian in their prime years like 20-late 30. When whites get older, they lose their "good" look much quicker because they wrinkle more than other races. Asians dont lose their look that fast; as result, most people dont notice the differnce that much. Asian also eat more veggie, less meat, less sugar which make them stay young longer.

Yeah, white people on average tend to look better than asian in their prime years like 20-late 30. When whites get older, they lose their "good" look much quicker because they wrinkle more than other races. Asians dont lose their look that fast; as result, most people dont notice the differnce that much. Asian also eat more veggie, less meat, less sugar which make them stay young longer.

That may be true thru White People's eyes but not thru Asians'. Maybe I watched too many Asian Pop shows. When I was growing up in the 80s, almost all the Asian kids in my state looked like absolute Dorks. We're even portrayed in the media and movies as such. In general, a lot of Asian parents restricted their kids like Amy Chua "Tiger Mom" which we live for study and going to Harvard. I think that is total BS and I don't raise my kids that way although they are currently in the Public School district's Science & Engineering Academy learning to be CEOs and away from the Drugs and Thugs of the regular Public School System. "Tiger Mom" system lacks creativity, innovation, self confidence, and communication skills and can instill depression and other mental health problems. My hope is that Asians outgrow the repressive "Tiger Mom" and raise their kids in a more healthy way.

I never view Asians as inferior other than in sports although more are becoming successful athletically. Too bad we Asian men are the least desirable to date. For the women that reject us (in which I had too many), they are doing us a favor. We can do much better (my wife as an example).

I never view Asians as inferior other than in sports although more are becoming successful athletically. Too bad we Asian men are the least desirable to date. For the women that reject us (in which I had too many), they are doing us a favor. We can do much better (my wife as an example).
Not if you have the MD letters behind your name.

When my younger brother was about to finish the last year of his medical residency, he told us about the conversation that he had with his co-resident. My brother asked if his co-resident knew any good looking girl that he could introduce her to him. His colleague answered him: “don’t worry, they will come to you.” His colleague was correct. When my brother did a routine annual exam on this very nice Asian lady, who speaks the same native language, the lady asked him if she could get his number so she could introduce her daughter, who is a pharmacist, to him. And a year later, this lady became my brother’s mother-in-law.

My association with my cousin, who is a MD anesthesiologist, has allowed me to meet and make friends with a lot of physicians. Most of these doctors have very good looking wives. Some are shorter than their wives. This is one of the reasons why I want my son to be a doctor......JK:D.

Reactions: 2 users
That may be true thru White People's eyes but not thru Asians'. Maybe I watched too many Asian Pop shows. When I was growing up in the 80s, almost all the Asian kids in my state looked like absolute Dorks. We're even portrayed in the media and movies as such. In general, a lot of Asian parents restricted their kids like Amy Chua "Tiger Mom" which we live for study and going to Harvard. I think that is total BS and I don't raise my kids that way although they are currently in the Public School district's Science & Engineering Academy learning to be CEOs and away from the Drugs and Thugs of the regular Public School System. "Tiger Mom" system lacks creativity, innovation, self confidence, and communication skills and can instill depression and other mental health problems. My hope is that Asians outgrow the repressive "Tiger Mom" and raise their kids in a more healthy way.

I know a lot of asian girls that blatantly say "I don't date asian guys" or "asian guys are ugly"... In my head I'm thinking, but you are asian too.. LOL.. You're calling your dad ugly? :rofl:

I think a lot of asian countries value white features as being more attractive (double eyelid, high nose bridge, pale skin).

Last edited:
I know a lot of asian girls that blatantly say "I don't date asian guys" or "asian guys are ugly"... In my head I'm thinking, but you are asian too.. LOL.. You're calling your dad ugly? :rofl:

I think a lot of asian countries value white features as being more attractive (double eyelid, high nose bridge, pale skin).

Heard this multiple times in dental school

I like to be a life coach for struggling Asian Males facing rejection because I lived it. If you're a struggling Asian Male with the dating scene and live in Nebraska, Iowa, (I won't mention my home state), Ozarks, Appalachian, or the South, move to Cali, Pacific NW, or NYC. There you will have more opportunities vs none. Even in those areas can be difficult such as one of my single colleague mentioning she won't date Asian...I wasn't offended because women are entitled to their tastes. As mentioned on my prev posts, Asians (males) have to do things better...treat their dates, look, and do their jobs better. If an Asian male is short as mentioned before, consider wearing elevated shoes...a couple of inches really enhance confidence. Tom Cruise is like 5'6" without his boots. The more disadvantaged the Asian Male, the harder he needs to work and never give up. If the guy is perceived as ugly, I guarantee a better haircut, better fitting clothes and some time at the gym will enhance his appearance. Rejection in life is a blessing!!!! It opens up to better opportunities.

I like to be a life coach for struggling Asian Males facing rejection because I lived it. If you're a struggling Asian Male with the dating scene and live in Nebraska, Iowa, (I won't mention my home state), Ozarks, Appalachian, or the South, move to Cali, Pacific NW, or NYC. There you will have more opportunities vs none. Even in those areas can be difficult such as one of my single colleague mentioning she won't date Asian...I wasn't offended because women are entitled to their tastes. As mentioned on my prev posts, Asians (males) have to do things better...treat their dates, look, and do their jobs better. If an Asian male is short as mentioned before, consider wearing elevated shoes...a couple of inches really enhance confidence. Tom Cruise is like 5'6" without his boots. The more disadvantaged the Asian Male, the harder he needs to work and never give up. If the guy is perceived as ugly, I guarantee a better haircut, better fitting clothes and some time at the gym will enhance his appearance. Rejection in life is a blessing!!!! It opens up to better opportunities.
Yes I think women can tell if a guy puts an effort to look good(lifting weights, good haircut, good outfit, good manner, etc). Even if an asian guy isn't blessed with good looks he can at least try to improve himself(and girls will certainly notice that). Life isn't fair but you got to work with what you have. I think most women tend to value career/success/money more than looks though..

What I don't like is when an asian guy complains that he isn't successful with women because he is asian but he doesn't put any work towards making himself look better.

My biggest personal gripe with dentistry is how absolutely worthless all your education is. There is nothing that tortures me more everyday than the fact that all those lessons in human anatomy, pharmacology, physiology, and pretty much everything biology... it. was. all. useless.

I come from a Dental family that goes back pretty far in dentists, like early 19th century, and I was sold this idea that as a dentist you get to be a doctor, and you need this extensive education similar to medical school to work on patients, you need to constantly review and be on the edge of dental science to be making big bucks.

It was all a lie!

Let's be honest everyone, you pretty much forget all the nerves in the entire human body except 4. The Superior Alveolar, the Inferior Alveolar, the Nasopalatine, and the Greater palatine. Do not come at me saying "Your a horrible doctor, how could you forget the Superior Mesenteric Plexus?!" Shove it! Nearly every dentist across America, never really needs any nerves except a handful. You don't need to know any extensive pharmacology besides a handful of antibiotics. Only a handful diseases, like 10 maybe. All you really need to know of things to watch out for, or are black label. Pretty much all the information can easily fit on a notecard. I know this is true because I've already worked with many dentists, I'm already related to a lot of dentists, and I've already seen a lot of dentists work. I work in a hospital that serves underserved communities, I cut people mouths open everyday for surgical extractions and everything I know to be a good dentist can fit on 1 piece of paper.... if I write small, it can fit on a notecard, and I am regarded as one of the best in my clinic.

This torments me because I was actually really interested in the human body and all those classes, and I am slowly forgetting them all and I know that in 5 more years, if I don't leave dentistry, I will end up like my colleagues. Freaking out because my patient was diagnosed with syphilis, and then mistaking Herpetic gingivostomatitis for advanced gumma and chancres....

If a non-dentist/pre-dent is reading this here's my word of advice, if you are a kid and all you care about is getting rich, having money, having an easy life with little worries, and don't mind being a salesman sometimes, go into private practice dentistry. If you like all that but hate being the salesman sometimes, go into public health dentistry. But if you are a hardcore Bio-nerd, like me, STAY AWAY from dentistry!!