hollistic meaning -- dental school interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Illstartmydiet2maro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do they mean when dental schools say they will be conducting a hollistic interview style ?

Members don't see this ad.

It means they will be looking at your application as a whole (DAT + GPA + EC's), everything together, instead of just making decisions based on one part of your app.
Let's say you had a low GPA but a high DAT, they would be looked at together, instead of you being automatically waitlisted/rejected due to a low GPA. In your interview, everything about you would be taken into account.
Hope this makes sense :)

Reactions: 2 users
It means they will be looking at your application as a whole (DAT + GPA + EC's), everything together, instead of just making decisions based on one part of your app.
Let's say you had a low GPA but a high DAT, they would be looked at together, instead of you being automatically waitlisted/rejected due to a low GPA. In your interview, everything about you would be taken into account.
Hope this makes sense :)
I thought this is what every school does? Is there another style of interview schools tend to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Every school is allegedly "holistic" apart from Howard/Meharry where they lean towards URM, and state schools who obviously prefer in state versus out of state applicants
What's URM??

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

Every school is allegedly "holistic" apart from Howard/Meharry where they lean towards URM, and state schools who obviously prefer in state versus out of state applicants
You'd think, but some schools really do take applicants with lower numbers so long as they have something to offer. It's more than a quantitative rack-n-stack.
Holistic review really does exist. How much schools really mean it is a totally different story though.

Reactions: 1 user
You'd think, but some schools really do take applicants with lower numbers so long as they have something to offer. It's more than a quantitative rack-n-stack.
Holistic review really does exist. How much schools really mean it is a totally different story though.

Completely agree with this.

And I think it's a great thing to have a holistic review process. My class has people from military backgrounds, people from industry (non-dental), people from dental hygiene backgrounds, people straight out of college, and more. Schmoob is right on the target - it's not simply a rack n stack.

I thought this is what every school does? Is there another style of interview schools tend to do?
Nope not every school does that. Some schools have a closed file interview style where the interviewer only knows your name

Nope not every school does that. Some schools have a closed file interview style where the interviewer only knows your name
Dang. Never knew they do that!! So then what's the purpose of the interviewer

Dang. Never knew they do that!! So then what's the purpose of the interviewer

The purpose of that is they interview everyone with a clean slate, with no preconceived notions. They don't know if you're a 4.0/27AA or a 3.0/18AA. They provide their feedback solely on the interview alone.

I'm sorry, I mean they provide their feedback regarding the interview to the ADCOMS, who make a decision based on the big picture.

The purpose of that is they interview everyone with a clean slate, with no preconceived notions. They don't know if you're a 4.0/27AA or a 3.0/18AA. They provide their feedback solely on the interview alone.
Oh ok. That's pretty awesome!!