Holistic approach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dobsonek

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any schools that take more of a “holistic approach” when reviewing applications? I struggled my first few years of college due to undiagnosed depression and just issues adjusting and so it yanked my GPA (overall PTCAS gpa is 3.09). I was trying to apply to some programs that also factor in LOR and observation hours when making decisions, instead of immediately counting applicants out due to GPA. I know HPU is one but are there any others?

Members don't see this ad.

There are lots that use that approach- when I was looking it seemed more common than GPA-heavy decisions. The only one I looked at that weighed GPA super heavy was UTC, and honestly, any place that doesn't do a whole person approach isn't the kind of place I think I'd be happy.

I don't know what area you're in or looking at, but I know around me UAB is very into the whole person approach. What kind of places are you looking? How is your personal statement coming? With a strong statement, good references, above average GRE, and notable extracurriculars, you'll be fine. If your other stuff is outstanding, look into some schools you don't think you stand a chance at- the reason I say that is that those are the kinds of schools that understand whole person pictures. They know that to get the best students, you have to look beyond GPA.

I know the feeling and anxiety of a low GPA.
You should look into Duke DPT Program as well.

this is from the DUKE PTCAS Program information:

"The Duke DPT Program has a rolling admissions process which means applications are reviewed throughout the application process, applicants are encouraged to APPLY EARLY! Our Admissions Committee does a holistic review of each application, considering multiple factors when making admissions decisions (GPA, GRE, letters of recommendation, essay/short answer questions, observation hours, extra curricular activities, leadership abilities, etc.). "

Wishing you all the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know the feeling and anxiety of a low GPA.
You should look into Duke DPT Program as well.

this is from the DUKE PTCAS Program information:

"The Duke DPT Program has a rolling admissions process which means applications are reviewed throughout the application process, applicants are encouraged to APPLY EARLY! Our Admissions Committee does a holistic review of each application, considering multiple factors when making admissions decisions (GPA, GRE, letters of recommendation, essay/short answer questions, observation hours, extra curricular activities, leadership abilities, etc.). "

Wishing you all the best.
Thank you but I definitely wouldn’t get into Duke haha but also I think their deadline has already passed!

There are lots that use that approach- when I was looking it seemed more common than GPA-heavy decisions. The only one I looked at that weighed GPA super heavy was UTC, and honestly, any place that doesn't do a whole person approach isn't the kind of place I think I'd be happy.

I don't know what area you're in or looking at, but I know around me UAB is very into the whole person approach. What kind of places are you looking? How is your personal statement coming? With a strong statement, good references, above average GRE, and notable extracurriculars, you'll be fine. If your other stuff is outstanding, look into some schools you don't think you stand a chance at- the reason I say that is that those are the kinds of schools that understand whole person pictures. They know that to get the best students, you have to look beyond GPA.
I’m in South Carolina but applying all over the East Coast/Tennessee. I’ve already sent in 14 applications but I’m just trying to see if there’s any places I missed!

Reactions: 1 user
I’m in South Carolina but applying all over the East Coast/Tennessee. I’ve already sent in 14 applications but I’m just trying to see if there’s any places I missed!
14! Wow. I'm sure you'll be alright- that's a bet well hedged. I was thinking I was applying to too many with half that. :p

Does anyone know of any schools that take more of a “holistic approach” when reviewing applications? I struggled my first few years of college due to undiagnosed depression and just issues adjusting and so it yanked my GPA (overall PTCAS gpa is 3.09). I was trying to apply to some programs that also factor in LOR and observation hours when making decisions, instead of immediately counting applicants out due to GPA. I know HPU is one but are there any others?
Western university of health sciences in CA

I think Regis University does the last time I checked and Univerisity of Michigan.