Hmm.. So tell me what y'all think!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedAdAG

I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... here's the deal. I am taking the MCAT again.. i sucked it up big time. I got a 23Q (thanks to a whopping 6 in verbal). Anyway, I'm taking it again and I'm hoping for a 27. My GPA Is a 3.65 and here are some of my EC's.
Prytnean Women's Honor Society
Pre med peer advisor
Hospital Volunteer
Four years Varsity College Soccer
Interned for a Chiropractor
ER Volunteer
EMT certified and working
Hormone Research in Frogs.
Going to New Zealand for an Ecology internship
I really want to go to TUCOM... does anyone out there think I have a shot at any school? I know this is lame, but I just thought I'd ask.. thanks everyone!!

Christine ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Christine,

I think that you have a great chance of acceptance somewhere. I know that you want to go to TUCOM but if you really want to be a doc then you will be willing to go anywhere. I recently applied and was accepted to UHS in Kansas City, MO with the same MCAT score and a GPA of 3.33, so it is definitely possible. Have you applied yet? I would try to volunteer for and/or shadow an osteopathic physician if you want to be a D.O. This will allow you to see what it means to be a D.O. and it is a great source for a letter of recommendation, which you will definitely need when you apply.

Statistically you want to look at your overall grade, but more important is your Science GPA: Bio I and II, Physics I and II, Org. Chem. I and II, Gen. Chem. I and II and your math classes. The science GPA seems to be more important to them than the over all GPA because those are the difficult classes. Easy classes can improve you overall GPA. If your science class grades are just as high then you shouldn?t have any problems.

I hope this helped, if you have any other questions feel free to email me. Good Luck!

Since you're interested in DO schools, your raw numbers won't be as important as all of those EC's. Your MCAT is only a bit under the average, but your GPA is above average. I think it's going to come down to your interview.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above responders... maximize your chances by applying to as many schools as possible if you are willing to relocate. I still think you have a shot with your first choice though.

Hiya Christine,

I think you are in pretty good shape and retaking the MCAT is a good idea. I think that even with the MCAT you have now you can get into DO school but it is always good to increase your chances by retaking because you never know ( I should've taken my own advice b/c I took a big chance by not retaking lol). I understand your concern because I felt the same way. My GPA is in your range but my MCAT was much lower. But I did manage to get an acceptance, so you never know! Just keep up what you have been doing all along and you should be on your way to med school. ;)

Good Luck!

Just to clarify, I think the science GPA is more than just gen bio, chem, physics and orgo. I am pretty sure that it counts any and all science classes you take--or at least that is what mine showed up as. Can anyone else testify to this?

Irish79,
That's right...the science GPA counts ALL science classes in bio, chem, orgo, physics, and math. So that would include classes such as genetics, physiology, etc... So if you have a science major, then you will have quite a few classes added onto your science GPA.

Christine,

I'd say you're in excellent shape for osteopathic schools especially if you can bump the MCAT up just a bit. I'm a big fan of the Kaplan course...it's pricey, but if you do all the work you'll surely improve, especially in the verbal.

Matt,

I think that like you said, all science classes count. Osteopathic schools are a little more forgiving about what constitutes a science class...I got away with counting Psychobiology of Stress as one. The allopathic schools are very strict, though. Science GPA is only BPCM: any class that doesn't have the biology, physics, chemistry, or math designation is automatically sent to the "other" bin.

Hey Christine!

I think you have some great ECs...they'll love the EMT work! Try to improve your MCAT scores...Kaplan or Hyperlearning should greatly help!

And if you REALLY want to go to Touro, why don't you e-mail Dr.Haight [email protected] with your stats and ask if you would be eligible to apply to their Early Decision Program. I think EDP tells them that those students REALLY want to attend their school so you even have a greater chance of acceptance.

Good Luck to ya!! :)

You are a well rounded individual. I agree with the earlier posts retake the MCAT, apply to as many schools as you would be willing to go to and I think it will all come down to the interview. Good luck and I think you will do fine! ;)

Thanks for all the great advice.. I actually know Dr. Haight and have been talking to him a lot recently, unfortunately, not about myself.. just a program we are doing together. I feel weird asking him about my stats, but i might just briefly talk to him next thursday when I see him.

:)