No matter what RVU tells you, don’t apply Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TragicalDrFaust

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all due respect to those attending and applying to RVU, because it has a solid track record academically, I believe it’s unethical for the school to give leads to Caribbean programs. Though St George seems to be one of the better ones, there are still high attrition rates making it a risky bet for a candidate who hasn’t proved themselves academically yet. Wanted to share because I don’t think this is right and I don’t want people to receive this email and be reassured that attending Caribbean school is a safe choice because a legitimate school told them so. If you’re curious, I’m enrolled elsewhere though I was rejected from RVU.

C3F26FA3-3A30-4903-AEDD-1154CCAA21E6.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users
Yeah... Promoting SGU to RVU rejects is extremely tacky in my opinion. Avoid SGU and all other Caribbean programs. See a related post from Value MD below:

"SGU is not a good place at all. Stay away. They will take your money and then do everything in their power to force you from the program. Their curriculum structure, assessments, and internal organization are solely there to make money and retain a desirable few, chosen from many, who they have decided will yield the best USMLE scores.

No medical school in the world is this non-transparent, unforgiving, and unfair."

There is a blog post, by Tameer Siddiqui, entitled Why SGU May Not Be for You. Refer to the link below:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Tacky is an understatement. Its offensive and inappropriate on so many levels. The first time left a bad taste in my mouth. The second email has me furious.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tacky is an understatement. Its offensive and inappropriate on so many levels. The first time left a bad taste in my mouth. The second email has me furious.
I think I'll write a letter to COCA about this, as well as the CO Osteopathic Board, or whatever equivalent they have. This isn't merely distasteful, it's disgusting.

• Love
Reactions: 55 users
The owners of SGU own RVU. I thought everyone knew this

This is not universal knowledge, especially since pre-med in general are woefully underinformed about this entire process.

Reactions: 14 users
The owners of SGU own RVU. I thought everyone knew this

I didn't. This is good to know.

Reactions: 1 users
I think I'll write a letter to COCA about this, as well as the CO Osteopathic Board, or whatever equivalent they have. This isn't merely distasteful, it's disgusting.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that.

This is not universal knowledge, especially since pre-med in general are woefully underinformed about this entire process.
put them on the ban list!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
put them on the ban list!

it really has no effect on our daily lives... although I agree that it’s distasteful. I actually got an from SGU today about the full tuition scholarship I would get there :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
it really has no effect on our daily lives... although I agree that it’s distasteful. I actually got an from SGU today about the full tuition scholarship I would get there :confused:
no effect on our lives (idk about you but i am already in med school) but for people who may be vulnerable and not know about the predator effects of carribbean schools then it does make a difference

Reactions: 6 users
Goro, thank you for watching out for us. To be clear, this is happening from both RVUCOM campuses. I was rejected from the Utah campus and the same thing happened. This included the part about promising to refund me if I were to matriculate at a US program. This is absolutely toxic.

Goro, thank you for watching out for us. To be clear, this is happening from both RVUCOM campuses. I was rejected from the Utah campus and the same thing happened. This included the part about promising to refund me if I were to matriculate at a US program. This is absolutely toxic.
BTW, I still have the email and would be happy to forward it if it's helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely disgusting. Needs to be urgently brought up to COCA and to deans of other medical schools. Who is the sender of this email? I’ll personally reach out to shame them. Please put their name out? Is it the dean?

Reactions: 2 users
Mine was from the provost of St James itself. So nobody related to RVU specifically, but must have been added to an email list at some point

Absolutely disgusting. Needs to be urgently brought up to COCA and to deans of other medical schools. Who is the sender of this email? I’ll personally reach out to shame them. Please put their name out? Is it the dean?

I sent you a pm.

Needless to say their "unsubscribe" function doesn't actually allow you to unsubscribe. Absolutely pathetic.

• Angry
  • Wow
They’ve been doing this for at least a few cycles now. I exclusively refer to them as “St. George’s University-Colorado and Utah branch campuses,” to make clear that they’re the proud siblings of the Caribbean’s most profitable MD factory.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Same. Could not emphasize enough - don’t come here.
Would you be willing to explain a little more? When I see their residency placements my first thought is they must be doing something right but this SGU funnel is unacceptable.

Same. Could not emphasize enough - don’t come here.
also an RVU student, and working on a report to the Department of Education and COCA. If you like to please PM me your "grievances so we can make sure our report is as complete as possible. SDN seems to be the most anonymous way to go about collecting information.

• Wow
  • Love
If you can’t get into at least a DO school pick a different career choice. A squirrel can roll their head in the keyboard for a 3.5 500 which in most cases a DO school will take.
Unless your Asian. Feel bad for them discriminating adcoms seem to dislike asians.
Painful words above but sadly the world we live in an unending encouragement isn’t always justified.

• Inappropriate
  • Okay...
Reactions: 5 users
If you can’t get into at least a DO school pick a different career choice. A squirrel can roll their head in the keyboard for a 3.5 500 which in most cases a DO school will take.
Unless your Asian. Feel bad for them discriminating adcoms seem to dislike asians.
Painful words above but sadly the world we live in an unending encouragement isn’t always justified.
The bolded is so untrue that I feel like reporting you for it.

Yep the same people who want less asian discrimination have no issues with quotas and affirmative action that discriminates against them

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 7 users
The bolded is so untrue that I feel like reporting you for it.
The numbers don’t lie. It’s not adcoms fault it’s the quotas they have to meet. Unless you have substantial proof otherwise.

Also this is coming from a non Asian so no self benefit here..... Not to go off topic but it’s hilarious how people always say certain groups are discriminated against and then someone says asians are they get threatened to be reported 😂

• Dislike
Yep the same people who want less asian discrimination have no issues with quotas and affirmative action that discriminates against them
And they apparently don’t like being called out on it either with threatening reporting to the SDN gods. Sad world we live in.

but to go back on topic it’s sad certain like you know people with excellent scores are forced into carib

Last edited:
  • Dislike
The numbers don’t lie. It’s not adcoms fault it’s the quotas they have to meet. Unless you have substantial proof otherwise.

Also this is coming from a non Asian so no self benefit here..... Not to go off topic but it’s hilarious how people always say certain groups are discriminated against and then someone says asians are they get threatened to be reported 😂

According to data from the AACOM website, for the 2020 cycle, average applicant MCAT was 503.0 for whites, 503.5 for Asians. Average matriculant MCAT was 504.6 for whites, 505.7 for Asians. The matriculation rate was 34% for Asians, 37% for whites. Non-matriculant MCAT averages were <0.1 points below the applicant averages for both groups.

When it comes to GPA, Asian applicants and matriculants had overall and science GPAs that were .05-.07 points lower than those of their respective white counterparts.

The data above certainly doesn’t look like damning evidence of major anti-Asian bias in DO admissions. When you say “numbers don’t lie,” what numbers are you referring to?

And you refer to quotas that prevent Asian admission... but some DO schools literally have more Asian students than white students (e.g., Western-COMP, TUCOM, TUNCOM). Are you sure these quotas actually exist at DO schools?

Last edited:
For profit schools just want money.
Justice Department Sues Yale University for Illegal Discrimination Practices in Undergraduate Admissions

According to data from the AACOM website, for the 2020 cycle, average applicant MCAT was 503.0 for whites, 503.5 for Asians. Average matriculant MCAT was 504.6 for whites, 505.7 for Asians. The matriculation rate was 34% for Asians, 37% for whites. Non-matriculant MCAT averages were <0.1 points below the applicant averages for both groups.

When it comes to GPA, Asian applicants and matriculants had overall and science GPAs that were .05-.07 points _lower_ than those of their respective white counterparts.

The data above certainly doesn’t look like damning evidence of major anti-Asian bias in DO admissions. When you say “numbers don’t lie,” what numbers are you referring to?

And you refer to quotas that prevent Asian admission... but some DO schools literally have more Asian students than white students (e.g., Western-COMP, TUCOM, TUNCOM). Are you sure these quotas actually exist at DO schools?
Look at ones for MD schools also. Those are the #. Asians and whites typically have the highest. The others do not. # of students in the class doesn’t matter. It’s the stats of those admitted and of those not admitted. Aka see tiki post below.

Also for those who have not real lifed yet. If you disagree with something you can thumbs down it. It doesn’t make it inappropriate. It’s completely relevent to the topic on hand that great applicants with good scores and boards are sent to carib due to “soft factors”

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Look at ones for MD schools also. Those are the #. Asians and whites typically have the highest. The others do not. # of students in the class doesn’t matter. It’s the stats of those admitted and of those not admitted. Aka see tiki post below.
And its not just medical school. I posted the department of justice suit against Yale.

Its not about the average applicant score either. Its about the number of qualified asians who apply, fewer get in that should due to quotas

• Inappropriate
Reactions: 3 users
My son a student at Utah and very happy and speaks highly of professors and curriculum what don’t you like?
The school is very money centric, constantly raises tuition and accepts more and more people every year despite there not being enough rotation sties. We literally learned anatomy through a professor filming with his iPhone on zoom, while CU med went in person. I dont agree with how much time we have to dedicate towards OPP, and its also a little disappointing that we are trained to go to primary care, as the majority of graduates end up going that route.

Looks like MDFUTURE123 did not do enough research when they decided to attend a DO school.

probably fair enough, but at that time, i was just really impatient to start school. hard to predict everything before starting
Looks like MDFUTURE123 did not do enough research when they decided to attend a DO school.

As a 2021 applicant, I also got this SGU email after being rejected from RVU. Also, I can say that a blatant "Anti-For Profit" distaste is not a phenomenal rule, but it's a good rule to be aware of. Some schools do it better than others.

As a 2021 applicant, I also got this SGU email after being rejected from RVU. Also, I can say that a blatant "Anti-For Profit" distaste is not a phenomenal rule, but it's a good rule to be aware of. Some schools do it better than others.
What are some examples of good for-profit schools?

• Hmm
What are some examples of good for-profit schools?
From personal and very biased POV, ICOM is a great school and for profit. We have a great admin but I can say that I'm sure as we age, we'll become more jaded as happens with most schools and admin becomes bloated. Goro might fight me on it, but I'm used to it.

Medical schools aren't in the business of being your friend. At the end of the day they collect large sums of money and provide you an opportunity to become a physician if you jump through the hoops, play the game, and have the mental fortitude and wherewithal to make it through. It's a business transaction plain and simple and the sooner people realize that the less appalled they'll be about things like the OP's post.

Qt
(''
Medical schools aren't in the business of being your friend. At the end of the day they collect large sums of money and provide you an opportunity to become a physician if you jump through the hoops, play the game, and have the mental fortitude and wherewithal to make it through. It's a business transaction plain and simple and the sooner people realize that the less appalled they'll be about things like the OP's post.
Some businesses are more predatory than others, that's the problem.