High school students applying for Fall 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatKidMike

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently high school senior applying for RCSI and UCD Fall 2007. I'm American, Irish-American, from New York. Any other ambitious high school students out there??? Whether your American or Canadian, post if you hope to enter for Fall 2007, and what schools your applying to. And your #1 Choice.

My first choice is UCD, because of tuition :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

They both sound like prestigious universities in Ireland. I'm a current high school senior studying in Canada but I'm unsure of where to apply! I was hoping UK would be one of my options, however as I mentioned before, I'm quite blurred in that subject area. Any recommendations?
I'm a Canadian-born-Chinese. Does that like decrease my chances of getting into a UK or Irish uni?

I also heard that tuition / cost of living is quite expensive!
Do you have family there and did you start your application yet?

crystaldreams, i don't believe being a "canadian-born-chinese" would decrease your chances of getting into RCSI.
Good luck on your application!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know the real statistics of the percentage of those who get into either RCSI or UCD and get back to NA in a program they want to be in (top three rankings)? I do not believe anyone of us here as pre-meds/current students/graduates would know that unless they actually get these figures from the respective medical undergraduate offices or registrar offices.

IF GETTING BACK HOME IS YOUR TOP PRIORITY, CONSIDER:

1) I only know that from what I hear and know from graduating years around my graduating year of 2003, all of UCD grads (both with undergraduate degrees and straight from high school) that applied to get back home right after graduation got one of their top 3 residency choices (mostly top 2).

2) I am not sure about the RSCI crowd.

I wish I wanted to go back home. The vascular surgeon I work with has told me that when I finish residency, I have a job with him if I want it, regardless of the surgical specialty I choose. I'm more concerned with staying in Ireland, but I just read on that oasis site that the posts DON'T have to prove that they tried to find EEA/EU citizens to fill the spots for doctors with full registration. I wonder if that applies to intern registration as well. Either way, that's some good news.

From what I understand, a benefit to non-eu nationals applying to irish med school, is that they're not in competition with irish school-leavers or eu school leavers. This is because eu nationals are applying for places covered by the governments free-fees scheme. Last year, between the 5 medical schools, there were approximately 300 places for eu nationals, of the 700 in total.
This would definitely increase chances for non-eu nationals, although many north american applicants hold undergraduate degrees. Usually the high school leavers are accepted into the 6 year courses in RCSI, UCD, and NUIG. Since UCC and TCD only offer the 5 year course, competition is higher for non-eu nationals without undergraduate degrees

I knew two guys from canada who both got into the 6 year course in RCSI, and they've been best friends since they were 5 years old! It's great when stuff like that happens.

Best of luck with your application