High School Student, Irish Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dragonzich

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Junior in High School in America and I am considering applying to a medical school in Ireland. I am sure that I want to go into medicine after graduation and this would save me 4 years. How feasible is it for a high school student to be accepted into one of Ireland's medical schools? To go further, how feasible is it for an international student to attend?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Junior in High School in America and I am considering applying to a medical school in Ireland. I am sure that I want to go into medicine after graduation and this would save me 4 years. How feasible is it for a high school student to be accepted into one of Ireland's medical schools? To go further, how feasible is it for an international student to attend?

You don't save 4 years you save 2, since the program is 6 years from high school.

It is pretty feasible actually, they take many Canadians each year and some Americans as well. They would recognize and if you apply through the Atlantic Bridge they will convert your grades.

The thing is, if you go to Ireland it is harder to get back to the states to practice medicine and you will likely find it hard to do competitive specialties.

Irish medical schools are known for its international population. Especially North American and middle eastern students. I am a Canadian student currently at RCSI. If you absolutely know you want to go into medicine, it isn't a bad idea. However, you have to be ready to work hard for both your school work but also for equivalency exams. I'm Canadian but I'm planning on writing both the American and Canadian board exams so I can apply to both residency programs after school. It is much harder to land a residency spot back home if you're in an international program. Also, the tuition alone is shocking. RCSI is about 50,000 euros a year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Irish medical schools are known for its international population. Especially North American and middle eastern students. I am a Canadian student currently at RCSI. If you absolutely know you want to go into medicine, it isn't a bad idea. However, you have to be ready to work hard for both your school work but also for equivalency exams. I'm Canadian but I'm planning on writing both the American and Canadian board exams so I can apply to both residency programs after school. It is much harder to land a residency spot back home if you're in an international program. Also, the tuition alone is shocking. RCSI is about 50,000 euros a year.

What kind of grades/GPAs do Irish med-schools look for when accepting students? Also, what do you mean by "equivalency exams"?

What kind of grades/GPAs do Irish med-schools look for when accepting students? Also, what do you mean by "equivalency exams"?

I think the minimum for Canadians was about an 85%. They also like to see volunteer work and other extracurriculars. And the USMLE exams I guess would be an equivalency exam for the states. You need to write them to even be eligible to apply for residencies.

Minimum is 85% but it depends, in general for Ontario they look for a top 6% over 90 and ideally Bio and Chem 90+. They are also looking for extracurriculars and will accept SATs, AP exams too.