High school sports coverage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MesoForm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, current PGY-1 with Family Med. For those that have done sports coverage as a resident, how did that typically work? We have a local high school very willing to have us provide coverage (myself and a couple of others in my program interested in SM), but we aren't sure if we have to A.) get approval from our program, B.) have an attending technically to "back us up" in theory. Or, can we just start showing up to games and helping out?

Members don't see this ad.

I would check with your program director - whenever I was opening up a new avenue to provide new coverage we had to make sure who was covering malpractice as well as if attending coverage was needed (even if only to call them if you had questions). It may vary from program to program, so that's why I think it's best to check with your PD. Hope that helps.

I would check with your program director - whenever I was opening up a new avenue to provide new coverage we had to make sure who was covering malpractice as well as if attending coverage was needed (even if only to call them if you had questions). It may vary from program to program, so that's why I think it's best to check with your PD. Hope that helps.
Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you have your PD’s okay and get ahold of a game schedule. EMS will generally be present at football games to provide backup.

In most cases as a "learner" you are required to have an attending physician oversee your activities. Duty hours are a potential issue if you are covering games in addition to your residency requirements. Typically the oversight is an attending on-call or in-person. That depends on the relationship with your attending. Bottom line is that it comes down to malpractice. If your malpractice covers you directly and you have discussed with them that you will be covering the games without supervision then great... If you are working under the attending, your malpractice is covered through the program and is considered an educational opportunity.

However, if you are a fellow and are board certified in your primary specialty, you can "moonlight" if your malpractice insurance will cover you. Although, if you are a fellow, you should have enough coverage that you are not out looking for additional opportunities.