Hey Caver! (the equipment comparing thread, with pics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You couldn't kill me. You don't know where I live! :p

Come onnnn party pooper...show me.

Posted via Mobile BlackBerry Device

of course we know where you live...off the coast somewhere!

I just recently got back into using photoshop...up until now I haven't been doing any pp on my photos (no time :() I bought lightroom not too long ago, maybe I should try using that thing....haha.

Members don't see this ad.

I really need a Macro lens. But if I lived Florida, I would have millions of these in my backyard. 3 potted plumeria fills my patio with dizzying fragrance.

plumeriabn0.jpg

I really need a Macro lens. But if I lived Florida, I would have millions of these in my backyard. 3 potted plumeria fills my patio with dizzying fragrance.

plumeriabn0.jpg

Perty!!

I've stumbled upon those everywhere in CA...but never saw them in Florida for some reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone knows you lead a sheltered life and don't get around.

http://www.exoticplumeria.com/

That's west coast Florida...doesn't count! :p

Although I'll be there in two weeks for the florida vacation. Still bet I won't see any though!

Get yourself a macro! :)

I've had my 100mm macro for over a month now and I still don't know how to use it. Using it is like driving stick for the first time with one leg. :(

The guy I'm looking to buy the XTi from will sell it to me for 400 but he's looking for a deal on a 40D. If I don't have his by Thanksgiving I'll be doing my own hunting. I want a good camera..

I've had my 100mm macro for over a month now and I still don't know how to use it. Using it is like driving stick for the first time with one leg. :(

you don't need it...it's a useless lens. I'll give you hundred for it!

:smuggrin:

The guy I'm looking to buy the XTi from will sell it to me for 400 but he's looking for a deal on a 40D. If I don't have his by Thanksgiving I'll be doing my own hunting. I want a good camera..

F*** that. You can get a great deal on old 20D, 30D, and even 40D with 50D on the horizon. Keep looking. I've seen many many 30Ds for less than $500. Compared to Xti and Xt, 20, 30, 40Ds will have a longer shutter life.. 50,000 vs 100,000.

New Canon 5D MKII announced.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091705canon_5dmarkII.asp

The new 21.1 MP sensor sounds impressive....but HD movie mode is a gimmick and I don't see much improvement. I think Canon botched this project. Nikon may have the upper hand in body production right now.

Thank god Canon rules the lens.

Great time to get the old 5D.....

The new 21.1 MP sensor sounds impressive....but HD movie mode is a gimmick and I don't see much improvement. I think Canon botched this project. Nikon may have the upper hand in body production right now.

sounds like they are trying to appeal to the "pro-sumer" level...I hate cameras that are also movie recorders, ipods, and whatever else all in one...

that said though, I can't wait till GPS becomes more mainstream in our precious SLR bodies. I'd love to go hiking and know exactly where I took a photo. Yeah. its a gimmick but its a cool one

Hmmmm. Glad I didn't wait. Video capability sounds cheesy/pointless.

What's the msrp?

NWA sux by the way...

Members don't see this ad :)
F*** that. You can get a great deal on old 20D, 30D, and even 40D with 50D on the horizon. Keep looking. I've seen many many 30Ds for less than $500. Compared to Xti and Xt, 20, 30, 40Ds will have a longer shutter life.. 50,000 vs 100,000.

I'll look into that, thanks.

I'll just use my 100 macro as a paperweight then. A very sexy looking paperweight.

And sadly yes, Nikon is getting the upper hand in body development. :( Good thing they haven't made an L killer that's seriously worth looking into. Once that happens....oh man, I'll have a crisis of confidence.

that looks like a lobster trying to escape from a cactus :scared:

Best deal I can find is $525 shipped for a 30D body only.
Anyone know good places to look?

XSi v. 30D relatively close in price (from a little hunting)
pros and cons of each?
I'm not sure I need all the MP of the XSi but I don't know if I'm going to be adamant enough to take advantage of what the 30D has to offer.

opinions?

Everyone knows you lead a sheltered life and don't get around.

http://www.exoticplumeria.com/

So, still no plumerias...but there was a visitor in the backyard!

img3495bfe9.jpg

And on this one...you guys think the bug is on the lens or mid-flight? It looks like it's on the glass...but I'm thinking if it was on the lens it would be a lot more OOF, and larger?

img3571jo4.jpg

yeah if that were on the glass, it'd be way OOF. Looks like you caught it mid flight or something.

XSi v. 30D relatively close in price (from a little hunting)
pros and cons of each?
I'm not sure I need all the MP of the XSi but I don't know if I'm going to be adamant enough to take advantage of what the 30D has to offer.

opinions?

30D shutter will have about 100,000 actuation life vs 50,000 of XSi..
30D is larger and just feels better on your hand. There are other benefits of 30D. Yet XSi does have a slighty better sensor but you probably won't be able to tell...

So, still no plumerias...but there was a visitor in the backyard!

img3495bfe9.jpg

And on this one...you guys think the bug is on the lens or mid-flight? It looks like it's on the glass...but I'm thinking if it was on the lens it would be a lot more OOF, and larger?

img3571jo4.jpg

Did you shoot the bird? I mean with a gun..

Alright, It's done.. I picked up an XTi for $312 and I also got the 1.8 50mm and I'm getting the Sigma 70-300 APO for Christmas..

Should make for taking some sweet pictures while I'm on holiday :cool:

Alright, It's done.. I picked up an XTi for $312 and I also got the 1.8 50mm and I'm getting the Sigma 70-300 APO for Christmas..

congrats! I'm assuming the "i'm getting" part as in, I didn't get it yet. If so, heres a rhetorical question for you...why are you buying a name brand body and a cheap generic lens?

Last edited:
congrats! I'm assuming the "i'm getting" part as in, I didn't get it yet. If so, heres a rhetorical question for you...why are you buying a name brand body and a cheap generic lens?

well seeing as you can only really use canon glass on canon bodies and she's picking up a discontinued/older DSLR model....i think it's fine. good starting point.

though i do think she could do without the 70-300...it wasn't rated too highly on slrgear. I'd save the $175 and get something nicer.

wait i think we just agreed...haha

Who's a she?
fyi. I only paid 120 for it & it's just something to start with. Gotta start somewhere.

Good job! There ain nothing wrong with the sigma lens. The 50mm f1.8 is called the nifty fifty.. it's a nice lens..and can be very sharp.

Have fun!

Good job! There ain nothing wrong with the sigma lens. The 50mm f1.8 is called the nifty fifty.. it's a nice lens..and can be very sharp.

Have fun!

Yeah I have a sigma 30mm f/1.4 and it's pretty much replaced my nifty fifty as my prime lens of choice.

Yeah sorry knipps, i was thinking of spiriva when i answered...haha. You can always sell the lens later and upgrade, though I tell myself that and never seem to follow through on the sale.

My prime lens of choice is 85mm f1.8 on 5D. About equivalent focal length as 50mm on 1.6X body.

Now, isn't 30mm little too wide even on the a crop body? I guess it's almost 50mm...

Can't wait to try 100mm-400mm on my crop body, a whopping 640mm of telephoto. And I am going to stick a 1.4X TE.. and get 900mm of telephoto. I guess I can get a shot at the Moon!:thumbup:

My prime lens of choice is 85mm f1.8 on 5D. About equivalent focal length as 50mm on 1.6X body.

Now, isn't 30mm little too wide even on the a crop body? I guess it's almost 50mm...

Yeah I haven't gotten around to upgrading to a full frame body. The 30mm is for the crop bodies only and makes a good normal lens. I figure when I get a 5D i'll probably get pick up the 85mm, heard lots of good things about it.

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/95174363/original

Do a sensor check to see if your sensor is dirty. My 20D took 2.5 years before it got dirty. Yet my 5D sensor picked up dust quickly... perhaps because it's a larger area? Don't know.

I ended up wet swabbing my sensor to clean it. It's quite easy once you've done it. At first I was scared to death to swab it... now, I'll clean any sensor...bring it on!

Thanks. I knew about the nifty fifty, main reason I picked it up ;)
I've been doing a lot of reading on the forum I posted (even when I was supposed to be reading for school.. oops)

I think my next buy is going to be a set of tubes, I'm a big fan of macro

Hey, why don't you mamby pambies take some pictures of stuff that isn't lame. Nobody cares about a closeup of a tree. You aren't Terrence Malick for christ's sake.

Hey, why don't you mamby pambies take some pictures of stuff that isn't lame. Nobody cares about a closeup of a tree. You aren't Terrence Malick for christ's sake.

You don't care about a closeup of a tree...yet I woke up early yesterday to go take a picture of ginko tree. A tree. And you don't appreciate it because you're neither interested nor comprehend the technical aspect of photography. But we forgive you. I'll post some sports photography someday.

Thanks. I knew about the nifty fifty, main reason I picked it up ;)
I've been doing a lot of reading on the forum I posted (even when I was supposed to be reading for school.. oops)

I think my next buy is going to be a set of tubes, I'm a big fan of macro

I could swear your Sigma 70-300 was also a macro lens...if you attach a tube to it, you may lose autofocus. At 300mm...not sure you need to get any closer!

I could swear your Sigma 70-300 was also a macro lens...if you attach a tube to it, you may lose autofocus. At 300mm...not sure you need to get any closer!

It is also a macro lens, and who needs AF?
actually, right now I do.. but I'm working on it!

You don't care about a closeup of a tree...yet I woke up early yesterday to go take a picture of ginko tree. A tree. And you don't appreciate it because you're neither interested nor comprehend the technical aspect of photography. But we forgive you. I'll post some sports photography someday.
dude...post it. I want to see this!

dude...post it. I want to see this!

The ginko? ehhh... I risked my life taking this picture with cars wheezing by... and I forgot I had the ISO at 1600 and I didn't take it in Raw.. so the bottom line.. I didn't do so well.

The ginko? ehhh... I risked my life taking this picture with cars wheezing by... and I forgot I had the ISO at 1600 and I didn't take it in Raw.. so the bottom line.. I didn't do so well.

Hah! How ironic...parents just said they walked along Ginko Ave in Tokyo today and that I'd have a blast photographing it when I visited....this is what they said it looked like.

And this is what the skyline view looks like from their apartment...can't wait to get some cool night shots! :D

Those are some Old.. Ginkos. I've been fascinated with them since I took botany in college. I consider Ginko as the duckbilled platypus of the Kingdom Plantae.. leaves neither monocotyledon nor dicotyledon.. A tree in a class of its own.

That's a nice view... I'll be sure to give your parents a call if I'm ever in Tokyo..

It's a ****ing tree. It's lame. I've got thousands of them all around me. They aren't interesting in and of themselves and never will be. Now if you had a frog with it's tongue extended, about to engulf a fly on top of said tree...hells yeah.

Though ironically, the aforementioned Terrence Malick made a film once whose main motif was the juxtaposition of serene nature...boring shots of trees...with brutality and dehumanization....and it's one of my favorite works of philosophy I've ever experienced. Perhaps I do like trees. A Hollywood movie dipping into existentialism...**** was deep. But this reminded me of that...except more vacuous and boring...I mean it's a damned tree. Come on. There needs to be some sort of point of reference or something, hell.

Last edited: