Hey Caver! (the equipment comparing thread, with pics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And I find floral photography challenging. A nice prime Macro lens would be very helpful.

Last time I was at B&H I was looking at the MPE65...I've seen some shots with that lens that were absolutely unbelievable.

Members don't see this ad.

Shut up... :smuggrin:

what you gonna do if it's windy???? Better recommendation is to take the picture while it's cloudy or create an artificial shade around the flower by blocking the sun...perhaps with your body.
okay...lets crawl first before we run...i just taught him how to walk! :laugh:

Last time I was at B&H I was looking at the MPE65...I've seen some shots with that lens that were absolutely unbelievable.

That lens seems complicated and expensive. You can pick up a great Canon Macro lens for $220 to $450.

Get you a body first.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Last one this time, I promise! :lol:
My friend didn't believe this one was real

P1020084-1.jpg

That lens seems complicated and expensive. You can pick up a great Canon Macro lens for $220 to $450.

Get you a body first.....

Naaah...I wasn't looking to buy...just curious what the lens was like. Besides, you'd need the ring or twin lite flash on top of it. Little hard core for me.

Would be neat to get into macro though...you ever tried it?

There is more to photography than just taking pictures..

The main focus of the picture is the flower... so I cropped it.

flower1copybn1.jpg

Either that or trumpet vine, my mom's the one into flowers I just do the heavy lifting for her

Naaah...I wasn't looking to buy...just curious what the lens was like. Besides, you'd need the ring or twin lite flash on top of it. Little hard core for me.

Would be neat to get into macro though...you ever tried it?

I've tried everything...

Either that or trumpet vine, my mom's the one into flowers I just do the heavy lifting for her

So.... you're from North NJ..but going to school in Boston.....2 places I frequent...frequently... Are you near Bergen county?

ed
So.... you're from North NJ..but going to school in Boston.....2 places I frequent...frequently... Are you near Bergen county?

yup. border of Bergen & Rockland counties

Members don't see this ad :)
Macro Photography isn't so easy...

Then again, nothing about photography is easy..

I like this picture. I took it almost a year ago. This fence rusted, because it was completely covered in water for a few days.

This image is symbolic to me because, like the caged-in sign, the life of this city is locked away in bureaucratic despair. The city's heart is still locked away...

This one I took while I was overseas a few summers ago and it really would have come in handy to have had a manual focus. (This was with a much worse point & shoot)
EuroTrip340.jpg

Macro photography's not all I do.. this one is from the Alhambra in Grenada, Spain

EuroTrip058-1.jpg

Knipps,
Check your last two posts. I don't see any pictures.

You could attach them by using the paperclip icon.

Most forums I frequent make you resize them to fit certain requirements and it's just easier to use photobucket or something similar

:smuggrin:Look Caver... People are realizing their mistake of buying Nikon.. they're all dumping thme on craigslist today... very few canon product for sale..

NIKON Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm Lens - $120 - pic

brand new Nikon D300 Retail with 1 year US warranty - $1600 - (Dallas)

Nikon 18-55mm VR - $175 - (Downtown Dallas) pic

Nikon D200 DSLR Body Only & Nikon Capture - MINT - $950 - (Plano, TX) pic

Nikon N 90 35mm camera & lens - $75 - (Dallas) pic

Brand new Nikon 18-200mm from D300 kit - $620 - (Plano, North Dallas)

NIKON Nikkor AF-S 18-55 Lens - $80 - pic

NIKON Nikkor AF-S 55-200mm VR Lens - $175 - pic

*** Tri Pod *** - $35 - (McKinney) pic

Nikon SB-28/DX Photo Bert Cheat Sheet - $4 - $4 - (Las Colinas)

Vintage Nikomat Film Camera - (plano) pic

Nikon SB-800 Flash unit For D50 D60 D70 D80 D100 D200 Used - $260 - (Dallas) pic

1957 Kodak 8mm Projector and 1962 Screen - $50 - (Richardson) pic

Vintage Camera Collection - They All Work! - $50 - (Richardson) pic

Minolta 35mm XGA Complete Outfit - $85 - (Richardson) pic

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT + 18-55mm Lens - $450 - (Coppell) pic

Polaroid 8MP Digital Camera - $80 - (Midlothian/Irving) pic

Gently used Canon XTi with two lenses, case and 1gig card! - $800 - (Grapevine)

Canon Rebel G w/ 35-80mm lens - $100 - (Coppell) pic

Canon 10D Body Only - $300 - (North Dallas)

Like New Nikon D50 plus extra 300mm lens and accessories. - $575 - (Fort Worth) pic

26" Coda Cold-Mount Motorized Mounting Machine - $1250 - (Arlington)

Canon XL1s Video Camera and Accessories - $1500 - (Grand Prairie) pic

*Mint* Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor Lens w/ Nikon L1Bc Filter - $275 - (Dallas) pic

Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X AF Pro DX Nikon Nikkor Mount - $450 - (Dallas) pic

Hasselblad H1 and Phase One P25 digital back - $16995 - (arlington)

Caverject's back. Oh great.

Grrr...I'm tired of waiting!! I want one! :oops: Finally ready to buy, but no great deals out there right now.

Btw...should I go for the 2/3-year warranty for a few hundred? Is it worth it?

buy it from Costco... that will give you a nice warranty I think.

Get you a 40D and be done with it. It's a better camera than 5D. You can always pick up a used 5D cheap in the future if you want a full frame.

They have it for $1,149 with a 2gb CF card at Costco.

Have fun shopping for lenses. You think it's hard buying a body.. you haven't begun.

buy it from Costco... that will give you a nice warranty I think.

Get you a 40D and be done with it. It's a better camera than 5D. You can always pick up a used 5D cheap in the future if you want a full frame.

They have it for $1,149 with a 2gb CF card at Costco.

Have fun shopping for lenses. You think it's hard buying a body.. you haven't begun.

I'm set on 40D.

Only have a BJ's membership...and they don't have it.

yeah, especially when canon discontinues a particular lens mount! Too bad all their lenses aren't interchangable! :smuggrin:

If Canon discontinues their current lens mount, I'll convert to Nikon. How's that for a statement?

lol...I'm not afraid...I'm asking you if it's worth it!

I usually never buy a warranty, because they're either worthless/outrageous...but for $200 for 3 years...maybe it is?

Nope.

What's the manufacturer's warranty period? What do you think will happen to your camera in first 3 years? Heck..you might actually have more than 100,000 actuations with the digital... and you'll need a new body anyway.

Save that money and buy yourself a terabyte external hard drive to store all your pictures.

Nope.

What's the manufacturer's warranty period? What do you think will happen to your camera in first 3 years? Heck..you might actually have more than 100,000 actuations with the digital... and you'll need a new body anyway.

Save that money and buy yourself a terabyte external hard drive to store all your pictures.

Grazie. Now, was that that hard?

yeah, especially when canon discontinues a particular lens mount! Too bad all their lenses aren't interchangable! :smuggrin:

BTW, that would be a suicide for Canon with all the Digital EOS they've sold..including many professional cameras out there now including the $8,000 1Ds MK III.

Back when, Canon only had 1 pro body.. F-1. I admit, Nikon Professional system seemed better during that time. So converting to new EF system with new digital AF lens system didn't quite have the impact they would experience if they were to change the mounting system now.

Did you buy extra warranty on your body?
hell no...if you are buying a canon or nikon, I wouldn't bother with the extra warranty. Both cameras are very reliable and come with decent mfg warranties. Not sure about canon, but Nikon gives you 5 years on all their glassware too

$2,000 budget. 3 lenses. UWA, prime range zoom, and telephoto zoom.

Get the 100-400mm L.
In order of what you need... UWA, telephoto zoom, and if you got the extra money, a prime range (18-55ish) zoom. I've pretty much stopped using my 18-55 because I can get my shots with the other two lenses I have.