helpful classes prior to MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
most MBA programs that i have looked into do not have any mandatory prerequisite courses necessary for admission.

what courses would be most helpful to take prior to beginning an MBA program for someone who has not taken any business courses in college?

Members don't see this ad.

prominence said:
most MBA programs that i have looked into do not have any mandatory prerequisite courses necessary for admission.

what courses would be most helpful to take prior to beginning an MBA program for someone who has not taken any business courses in college?

Most schools will offer an intro course from the "ground up" in all core subjects, so it is not essential to take any specific courses. That being said, some schools allow you to "opt out" of certain requirments (thus freeing up valuable elective time), so if you can take some basic statistics, accounting, economics, and finance courses ahead of time you may be able to buy yourself some more flexibility in your curriculum down the road (of course this varies widely by school, and they all have time limits, etc., so you need to investigate their individual policies, which often even vary by department and year to year). In addition, it may be nice to be seeing some of these subjects for the second time (e.g., stats, accounting) when you get to B-school (definitely NOT a requirement, just a suggestion if you have the time and inclination).

My friends who went into the MBA program with just science backgrounds struggles the most in accounting (financial and managerial) and finance. More often accounting. I have to say, seeing the material for a 2nd time in grad school made it easier for me to digest (I had a business minor in college, economics major). So I'm going to suggest those 3 classes. Although these classes might have some prereqs in certain institutions.

But if you are involved in a program that offers all of the core classes this shouldn't be a problem. I find it strange that an MBA program wouldn't have any prereqs for someone to apply. Most MBA programs I have seen require experience and sometimes certain coursework.

Microeconomics
Macroeconomics
Accounting
Global Studies
Information Technology
Business Statistics