help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koloche

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a bio major and a 3.1 gpa last year. i've been working full time ever since. now i want to give med school a shot. however my gpa is too low. what's the best way to pull it up.

Members don't see this ad.

did you do all the pre-med prerequisites? You've given your overall GPA - how was your BCPM (bio-chem-physics-math) GPA? Same, better or worse?

you've got lots of options for improving that - post-bacc, masters, courses on your own. You really haven't given enough information about your situation to say what would be a good choice for you.

For starters I suggest reading awhile here and finding out what other people have done. That might give you some ideas.

The best way to pull it up is to take a lot of post-bacc classes. These grades are actually calculated into your AMCAS GPA. Another alternative is a masters program, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to raise your GPA. Those grades aren't included in your AMCAS GPA (however, since you were a science major, I'm not sure what other choices in post-bac classes you have left so a masters program may be a valid choice). Also, you should really strive hard to get a good MCAT score to compensate for your GPA.