TOURO VS PCOM MS PROGRAM *Help me decide*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YF3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me decide on Touro vs. PCOM (Philly). I got accepted into the MS program for both schools, and I'd appreciate any current student perspectives.
Both programs required specific standards to enroll after completing MS in their Osteopathic medical schools.

PCOM:
Pros: This is my first choice - friendly campus, good rotation sites, good residency match outcome. I have a friend who is an MS3 and did this program, so I feel confident in the support + inside scoop on how to study, etc. I love Philly and HUGE on research opportunities, better at matching residencies, and has more growth opportunities as it is a bigger school. A well-respected DO school.
CONS: I have to finish the MS for one year + get selected for an interview, and possibly retake the MCAT (20-30 students get selected )
If not selected within the 1st year, I would resume the 2nd year of the master's program. (40-60 get selected)

Touro (Middletown):
PROS: Direct Matriculation into the DO program after completion of the MS program / NO Mcat
CONS: Rotations? Since they are kind and new, I was slightly disappointed with their residency options. Also, I don't see myself living there for five years as I live in Miami, and it will be a BIG change, and I have no one. Middletown is a small town.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Usually for situations like this, I would advocate for the one that guarantees an acceptance into the program given you graduate from the MS program properly.

With this, Touro seems a lot more favorable.

Touro's program is tough because you are graded on a curve. Not everyone in the MS can actually get the 3.4 GPA to matriculate into the med school.

Depends how confident you are in hitting Touro's condition for matriculation as well as whether you need to retake the MCAT or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the 2 year PCOM BMS program and I am a current M2 at PCOM. I mentor many students in that program so I can give you what I know about the program. These are guesstimates, but usually 15 - 25 students get accepted from the 1st year BMS class dependent on the class size. If you have the stats listed on the website for the guaranteed interview, then thats a good start. Even if you don't get in the 1st year, PCOM heavily favors its 2nd year students. I know this because I myself and many of my 2nd year friends got in with borderline stats (we would have never gotten in with regular admissions). Just talking to the 2nd years this year, many of them had stats that either were below the PCOM websites criteria, but still got admitted. If you really want to go to PCOM, then the PCOM BMS is the way to go. If you prefer to go to Touro's med school, then do that MS program (I don't know much about it other than the guaranteed acceptance which someone mentioned above). I listed the pros and cons that I noticed throughout my time in the BMS program at PCOM.

PCOM BMS Pros
  • Taught by med school faculty (they teach both BMS and med school, so the lectures are 95% the same)
  • I felt more prepared than my peers in med school
  • Campus is much better than Touro Middleton
  • PCOM favors BMS students (you can have less stellar stats and get into PCOM compared to students via regular admissions)

PCOM BMS Cons:
  • An A in the program is considered 95% and above (A- is 89.5 - 94.49%)

I did the 2 year PCOM BMS program and I am a current M2 at PCOM. I mentor many students in that program so I can give you what I know about the program. These are guesstimates, but usually 15 - 25 students get accepted from the 1st year BMS class dependent on the class size. If you have the stats listed on the website for the guaranteed interview, then thats a good start. Even if you don't get in the 1st year, PCOM heavily favors its 2nd year students. I know this because I myself and many of my 2nd year friends got in with borderline stats (we would have never gotten in with regular admissions). Just talking to the 2nd years this year, many of them had stats that either were below the PCOM websites criteria, but still got admitted. If you really want to go to PCOM, then the PCOM BMS is the way to go. If you prefer to go to Touro's med school, then do that MS program (I don't know much about it other than the guaranteed acceptance which someone mentioned above). I listed the pros and cons that I noticed throughout my time in the BMS program at PCOM.

PCOM BMS Pros
  • Taught by med school faculty (they teach both BMS and med school, so the lectures are 95% the same)
  • I felt more prepared than my peers in med school
  • Campus is much better than Touro Middleton
  • PCOM favors BMS students (you can have less stellar stats and get into PCOM compared to students via regular admissions)

PCOM BMS Cons:
  • An A in the program is considered 95% and above (A- is 89.5 - 94.49%)
Also current M2 at PCOM who is a prior Biomed student and I agree with this post^, this applies to literally all three campuses. Biomeds (current AND former students) are literally so favored, it's crazy. Majority of the biomeds are borderline with their stats and it's usually because a lot of them develop relationships and do hella ECs on campus that it works in their favors. PCOM is honestly really holistic and will overlook lower/average grades. I do feel better prepared than my classmates that I barely studied first year and did okay. Let's see how it'll work out in M2 year tho lol.

Avoid Touro if you can, don't underestimate the curve (also know people who did it and that curve is not to be played around with)