help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jc10101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im really worried about optometry school admittance, im starting my junior year, and my grades are less than par.
but i have a lot of experience shadowing over 10 optometrist for the past year, im taking my oat next summer, but im scared i wont get in bc of my grades.

i know, i know, i should try harder and get better grades, but is it even worth it? none of my grades are low enough to retake for a grade replacement or average, theyre just kind of stuck there.

also, im not an amazing test taker, hence the grades, so im even more afraid for the oat.

any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

im really worried about optometry school admittance, im starting my junior year, and my grades are less than par.
but i have a lot of experience shadowing over 10 optometrist for the past year, im taking my oat next summer, but im scared i wont get in bc of my grades.

i know, i know, i should try harder and get better grades, but is it even worth it? none of my grades are low enough to retake for a grade replacement or average, theyre just kind of stuck there.

also, im not an amazing test taker, hence the grades, so im even more afraid for the oat.

Don't give up hope! Have you talked to a counselor yet? Also, most of the average gpa for optometry schools is between 3.2 and 3.4. Even if you have a somewhat low gpa, you can balance that with a somewhat high oat score. I, too, suck at test-taking so I know the feeling! I did pretty decent on the oat. If you really want to go to optometry school, you should commit yourself to studying hard for the oat. I think you can do it, but you may want to discuss the matter with a counselor as well. Hope that helps and good luck!

What does it mean "less than par?" For some people, less than par means 3.7 when they are used to getting 3.9. For others, less than par is 2.3 when they normally get 2.8.

Clearly, there's a wide range there.

I would recommend that you take the OAT as soon as possible. Most of the material covered on it is things covered in general chem, general physics etc. etc. I would take the OAT and then based on that result, decide if it's worth pursuing.