Help me decide between program X and Y

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aresnebula

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am having a lot of difficulty with ranking and picking programs. So far I am between these 2 great programs fighting between the #1 and #2 spots on my list. They both told me that I was ranked in the top for them.

Surgery-wise, Program X is excellent, but the surrounding area is awful and there is nothing to do. The closest city is about an hour away. They also lack diversity and me being from a different ethnic background, I have been subjected to a comment or two at that program. The people who made those comments just seem to be totally ignorant types who I guess didn't know what to expect from someone with my ethnic background and so I didn't care much for it. But the residents are very nice and they treated me well when I was a student rotating. The current third years have good jobs lined up for them and to be honest, I have never seen such confident third years in an OR throughout my externships.

Program Y is good surgically but the residents' skills are not better than X, however, they do get lots of trauma and they are academically very strong. The area is also tolerable as they have lots of restaurants/bars around and it is a small city rather than a town. They appear to have a solid group of both residents and attendings. However, I do know a third year there is doing a fellowship not sure in what though.

It's really difficult for me to choose between the two. Although I am aware that we only receive training once, I am unsure of how to proceed. I am hoping the current residents/attendings would be able to shed some light. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO quality of 3rd year's surgical skills (collectively, not just one outlier rockstar) should be the most important factor when deciding on programs. Now, you don't want to miserable where you're living, but if it's deciding between "awful" and "tolerable" I would still say pick the one you feel will give you the better training.

Members don't see this ad :)
The current third years have good jobs lined up for them and to be honest, I have never seen such confident third years in an OR throughout my externships.

I'd choose program X just for the reasons you have stated above. There will always be something lacking in a program. You make the best out of it.