36 hour car rides between clerkships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madura

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I am not the only one who had to get from the west coast to the Midwest in a weekend, so I'm looking for some feedback from people who have done this. Do you recommend driving or is it worth the $1,400 more that it would cost to fly and rent a car for 2 months?

Members don't see this ad.

I drove. Most programs understand if you need to take off a day early. It's no big deal as far as I'm concerned. Students sometimes make a big deal about it, but as a resident, I completely understand. I had to take off a day or two early at more than 1 program. If you let them know in advance, it shouldn't be a big deal. Programs will cut you some slack if you are a hard worker and they don't get the impression you are just trying to skate out a few days early.

I drove. Most programs understand if you need to take off a day early. It's no big deal as far as I'm concerned. Students sometimes make a big deal about it, but as a resident, I completely understand. I had to take off a day or two early at more than 1 program. If you let them know in advance, it shouldn't be a big deal. Programs will cut you some slack if you are a hard worker and they don't get the impression you are just trying to skate out a few days early.

This was my experience as well. I had to make a few 30+ hour drives and the programs were kind enough to let me leave a day early. I told them upfront on day one and they said to just remind them when the time comes and it wouldn't be a big deal. These programs included Wheaton, Swedish, and JPS. I had no problems getting interviews/having callbacks. Like anklebreaker said, not all programs are like this so gauge each one individually and make your decisions accordingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's nice you are so understanding but I've been to programs where the residents and/ or attendings could care less because everyone is busy, etc. Sometimes it's hard to even get in touch with the programs or residents. Not every program is like that but not everyone is so understanding. That's been my experience.
Yeah, I've never really understood this. Why would I, as a resident, care if a student needed to take off a day early to get to his/her next clerkship? I was a student not that long ago. 4th year can suck. Why make it harder? The only reasons I can think of is either a program really depends on the students (some VA programs come to mind) or the residents/attendings want to show the students how hard they work or how little they care. I'm not denying that there are programs like this (been there), but I guess I just don't get it.

I never had any problems with residents not allowing for travel time. In fact, the majority of mine asked the students early on if we would need time to let them know.

I agree with @ldsrmdude. It is ridiculous that a program would want to make it harder on a student by denying travel time, hurting their chances if they took it.

Just fly, you will be tire when you begin your clerkship. Driving all that much, spending ton of money does not guarantee you a residency.

I never had any problems with residents not allowing for travel time. In fact, the majority of mine asked the students early on if we would need time to let them know.
This was my experience for most programs as well.