WAMC/Making Balanced School List Help! 516, 3.81

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lenap3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Any help with school list and narrowing things down or adding in things that might be a good fit that I missed would be appreciated! Feel like list is top heavy and maybe too long? There's so many that sound great but I also don't want to waste money if I'm not a good fit. Thoughts appreciated!

Undergrad
: UW Seattle Freshman year --> Transferred to BU for sophomore year

Residency: NH/MA but MA falls 2 years short for UMASS

GPA: 3.81 combined upward trend after transferring (3.9 GPA at BU)

sGPA: 3.72

MCAT: 516

Research: 6000+hrs, current full time clinical research coordinator (past 2 years, anticipating 1 more year so ~2000 additional hours)
  • 3 posters (2 first author), 1 published abstract (first author), 1 paper
Volunteering clinical/nonclinical: 1200/380 hrs
  • Clinical – 1200+ at a charity I founded and run that works with local hospital child life programs, with approx 1000 expected next year
  • Nonclinical—380
Other clinical experiences:
  • 4100 from clinical research job listed above (works with patients daily)
  • 100 hours shadowing (low due to COVID but now observe physician-patient interactions daily and now work with patients daily)
*Not listed in activity section obviously but talked about a bunch in application and PS, I grew up with a crazy medical history and have lifelong lived experience as a patient with a severe medical background so I don’t think there will be a huge worry about lack of experience and exposure to medical field*

Other activities listed: ESL teacher, childcare provider, coxswain for masters rowing team, ballet, competitive awards from work/college

School Priorities:

Top priority: Research (but I don't want to do MD/PhD) and early clinical/patient exposure

Nice to have: Hands on learning model

Program Size: Like the idea of a small program but also went to two massive colleges so not a deal breaker

Other: Like the idea of MD/MS programs or other dual degrees that also incorporate research, bioethics, or focus on QA/QI healthcare initiatives to improve treatments or patient experiences. Supportive culture among students!

School List:

Cleveland Clinic – Lerner (really really love this program)
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Tufts
Brown
USC Keck
UMASS
Georgetown
UNC Chapel Hill -- PI ties
Kaiser
NYU Long Island -- ties to healthcare networks research
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine
Emory
University of Michigan Medical School
George Washington Medical School
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Univ. Rochester
Rosalind Franklin
UVM
NY Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Stony Brook
Tulane
BU – competitive but strongly recommended I apply by current BU pre-med advisor

Shot in the darks on current list:

Stanford
NYU Grossman
Weill Cornell
Harvard Medical School - clinical researchers from our program have gotten in and WL even with below normal stats. PI and Sub-Is all affiliated faculty.
Columbia
Yale
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine

*Can't apply to UW because didn't live in Seattle for a calendar year, just for the school year :(

Anything to add or cut out? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.