HELP I MESSED UP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

premed_101

Hello! I just completed my freshman year. My first semester I completed with a 3.75 and then I transferred to a public state school (from a private college). I took Chem and Bio and aced with easy A's. I had to retake Bio and Chem at my new school, because they did not accept my previous credits.

My second semester GPA was absolutely horrific. About a 2.8. I got a D in chemistry and a C+ in Biology 100. I took Bio 110 over the summer and received an A. I also took Pre-Calculus and a Gen Ed, and received A's in both. My GPA went up to a 3.2.

I have a sufficient amount of extracurriculars pertaining to pre-medicine. I am in pre-med club, I am a pharm tech at CVS, I am in Phi Delta Epsilon, shadowed a few M.D.'s, and I have volunteered at a hospital for over 2 years.

I am pursing D.O. and I plan on taking the Early Assurance Program route with a relatively newer D.O. school in the area, because I know I will not get in if I tried without early assurance. The standards for this program is literally a 3.2 GPA and 50 percentile on each section of the MCAT. I am assuming it is that easy, due to the fact it is a newer D.O. school in the are (Philadelphia College of Ostepathic Medicine).

I will absolutely turn myself around and become an honor student again. I know exactly what I did wrong. I was lazy and I procrastinated. I am very capable of getting good grades in hard classes, however I chose to not work hard this semester. No excuses.

I am retaking Bio 100 and Chem. I am asking for advice on how to make myself a competitive pre-med applicant again, and if this semester will be overlooked if I bring myself back up again. Also, when my school calculates GPA, they count the most recent grade (good or bad) of the retaken class. They discard the old grade. Will medical schools recount my GPA again with their own standards (average of the two grades)? Even for an early assurance program?

Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I just completed my freshman year. My first semester I completed with a 3.75 and then I transferred to a public state school (from a private college). I took Chem and Bio and aced with easy A's. I had to retake Bio and Chem at my new school, because they did not accept my previous credits.

My second semester GPA was absolutely horrific. About a 2.8. I got a D in chemistry and a C+ in Biology 100. I took Bio 110 over the summer and received an A. I also took Pre-Calculus and a Gen Ed, and received A's in both. My GPA went up to a 3.2.

I have a sufficient amount of extracurriculars pertaining to pre-medicine. I am in pre-med club, I am a pharm tech at CVS, I am in Phi Delta Epsilon, shadowed a few M.D.'s, and I have volunteered at a hospital for over 2 years.

I am pursing D.O. and I plan on taking the Early Assurance Program route with a relatively newer D.O. school in the area, because I know I will not get in if I tried without early assurance. The standards for this program is literally a 3.2 GPA and 50 percentile on each section of the MCAT. I am assuming it is that easy, due to the fact it is a newer D.O. school in the are (Philadelphia College of Ostepathic Medicine).

I will absolutely turn myself around and become an honor student again. I know exactly what I did wrong. I was lazy and I procrastinated. I am very capable of getting good grades in hard classes, however I chose to not work hard this semester. No excuses.

I am retaking Bio 100 and Chem. I am asking for advice on how to make myself a competitive pre-med applicant again, and if this semester will be overlooked if I bring myself back up again. Also, when my school calculates GPA, they count the most recent grade (good or bad) of the retaken class. They discard the old grade. Will medical schools recount my GPA again with their own standards (average of the two grades)? Even for an early assurance program?

Thank you so much!!

There is no more grade forgiveness; schools will take the average of all courses attempted. Focus on doing well in your courses from now on and you will be fine. DO schools reward reinvention and upward trends in grades, especially from the first year of college.

If you ace all of your coursework from now on, your GPA will be greater than 3.8, so there won't be any need for a special program. Again, focus on your classes at the moment, one semester at a time, and you will be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
You said this is your first year right? Don't forget that because of that you have very few credits and each low or high grade will have more of an impact on your gpa. Wait til you're about go graduate with 125 credits and you'll see a B- won't even faze your gpa. Don't worry, its all just relative to your credits and you'll see it go back up pretty quick.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't retake the course you got a C in.

I got two C's during freshman year, and I ended up graduating with a 3.8 GPA. You can redeem yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a 2.3 gpa freshman year and graduated with a 3.3, still accepted. And I'm not one of those exceptional people ECs wise. You're good bb

Reactions: 4 users