MD [HELP] I am a kinesthetic learner : I Don't Know How to Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alaaz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so i've took the vark test and found out that i am kinesthetic learner .

No matter what i do :

1- read multiple times
2- read out loud
3-Anki

Nothing goes into my little dumb mind

I even feel like i am depressed when i see others read and retain information so easily while i can't do that no matter how hard i try

I feel like this kind of memory is a curse i hate it and i hate myself so much , it's like i am handicapped

Please all to all kinesthetic learners how do you study a material ( slides ) ?

Members don't see this ad.

Seconded, try writing and drawing. It takes a **** ton of time, but it seriously helps me remember much better as I'm a kinesthetic learner as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
White board!!!

I don't have a white board , i have a pen , lots of paper and a really bad handwriting but fast

Seconded, try writing and drawing. It takes a **** ton of time, but it seriously helps me remember much better as I'm a kinesthetic learner as well.

How many times does it take you to write to remember something very well
I am despred and i'm ready to study all day and all night just i want to study well

No matter what i do :

1- read multiple times
2- read out loud
3-Anki

I even feel like i am depressed when i see others read and retain information so easily while i can't do that no matter how hard i try

I feel like this kind of memory is a curse i hate it and i hate myself so much , it's like i am handicapped

I second the first post. Whiteboard. It’s not about using the most popular methods if your way of learning isn’t the most popular way of learning. You will still have to go through the lecture slides but you will just have to take those slides and lectures and transcribe them into your own notes - which for you would probably just be white boards or writing your own notes. My friend was less of a reader and more of a kinesthetic learner, he would write out his own notes of the material (draw his own diagrams etc). this way he’d never have to go back to the lectures, and then he’d regurgitate his notes onto a white board over and over again.

Will this take longer? Yes. Will you be dealing with people who don’t have to study as much as you? Yes. But this is the real world where everyone is different.

Reactions: 4 users
I second the first post. Whiteboard. It’s not about using the most popular methods if your way of learning isn’t the most popular way of learning. You will still have to go through the lecture slides but you will just have to take those slides and lectures and transcribe them into your own notes - which for you would probably just be white boards or writing your own notes. My friend was less of a reader and more of a kinesthetic learner, he would write out his own notes of the material (draw his own diagrams etc). this way he’d never have to go back to the lectures, and then he’d regurgitate his notes onto a white board over and over again.

Will this take longer? Yes. Will you be dealing with people who don’t have to study as much as you? Yes. But this is the real world where everyone is different.

Does he rewrite his notes over and over note by note or the whole thing

I mean does he do this :

Note 1
Note 1
Note 1
Note 2
Note 2
Note 2

Or

Note 1
Note 2
Note 3
Note 4

Note 1
Note 2
Note 3
Note 4

You know what i mean ?

What I like to do is write out all my notes for an exam on sheets of paper (either in the professors words or my own). After doing that I will rewrite all the notes out on a white board and finally I will just go through my notes without writing them out.

Reactions: 2 users
But isn't writiçg and rewriting is for someonz with read/write style ?

Go to Lowes or Home depot and get a big plaster board that takes up your entire wall. White board markers work on it. Get a bunch of different colors. Stand up in front of it. And write everything. Draw pathways, make arrows, color-code it.

Reactions: 2 users
No one is exclusively able to learn by one means only, unless you happen to have both grave sight and hearing impairments. It’s all relative and fine to play to your strengths without being rigid about it. Drawing out pathways, spatial relationships, making schematized models, formulating and constructing personally intelligible organizations/flowcharts/relationships will all engage kinesthesis. Recopying verbiage verbatim is more or less passive and low on the efficiency scale.

Also might be worthwhile to try studying (via audio or visual/text materials) while on a treadmill. Really, I’ve done it.

Also might be worthwhile to try studying (via audio or visual/text materials) while on a treadmill. Really, I’ve done it.

I must have walked >1000 miles on my treadmill desk during pre-med. Highly recommend.

It's often said that our bodies didn't evolve to sit down all day - it seems likely to me that the brain didn't evolve to control the body while it sits down all day.

You know what works really well either on or off a treadmill? Anki!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Create your own worksheets and graphic organizers as if you were going to teach the topic to 8th graders

Reactions: 1 users
I must have walked >1000 miles on my treadmill desk during pre-med. Highly recommend.

It's often said that our bodies didn't evolve to sit down all day - it seems likely to me that the brain didn't evolve to control the body while it sits down all day.

You know what works really well either on or off a treadmill? Anki!
Do those things even work? Don't you get tired?

Do those things even work? Don't you get tired?

It's awesome. You only walk at a <1-2mph pace. For me, it's actually much less tiring than standing. I did have a bar stool that I would put on the treadmill when I wanted to sit down.

I'm not an M1 yet so take this with a grain of salt but I can totally vouch for the whiteboard approach as someone who has struggled to brute force power points in college. For some reason, having a huge place to map everything out onto is a very powerful tool. Also, being able to walk around and stay mobile while studying makes it feel looser and less stress inducing. Last thing I'll say is that you won't fall into the trap of transcribing when you write stuff down on a white board like you might when typing or handwriting notes. You'll be forced to remember what you read, mentally digest it, and put it into your own words and pictures, and decide where it should be placed on the board. And when you're all done, I use an app to snap a photo. They don't have to be pretty as long as they make sense to you. I'll upload one of mine from my college immunology course when I get the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not an M1 yet so take this with a grain of salt but I can totally vouch for the whiteboard approach as someone who has struggled to brute force power points in college. For some reason, having a huge place to map everything out onto is a very powerful tool. Also, being able to walk around and stay mobile while studying makes it feel looser and less stress inducing. Last thing I'll say is that you won't fall into the trap of transcribing when you write stuff down on a white board like you might when typing or handwriting notes. You'll be forced to remember what you read, mentally digest it, and put it into your own words and pictures, and decide where it should be placed on the board. And when you're all done, I use an app to snap a photo. They don't have to be pretty as long as they make sense to you. I'll upload one of mine from my college immunology course when I get the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Attachments

• IMG_4399.JPG
    IMG_4399.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 164
Go to Lowes or Home depot and get a big plaster board that takes up your entire wall. White board markers work on it. Get a bunch of different colors. Stand up in front of it. And write everything. Draw pathways, make arrows, color-code it.
+1...I have one of these and my husband was kind enough to attach it to a wall for me...instant huge white board wall for around $10.

Read “Make It Stick” by Peter Currell Brown. Changed my entire approach to studying.

No matter what i do :
1- read multiple times
2- read out loud
3-Anki

1- read multiple times; how big a chunk of text? Do u stop reading when you understood the text ?
2 - read out loud; the same questions; when do u stop ?
3-Anki. Varied ( interleaved) or Block practice ? Which Preferences and Options did you customized ? Do you make decks ?

Last edited:
Create your own worksheets and graphic organizers as if you were going to teach the topic to 8th graders
This. Or, pretend you're about to lecture them, go over it like a speech. That's what I did. Writing stuff out takes too long in my opinion, and on the test, you'll be tempted to rewrite notes out, except you won't have the time.

Gamification. Turn pure memorization topics into games that you can play over and over. You can do something simple like creating an old-school matching game with index cards, or make a trivial persuit style board game. (Just don’t spend toooo much time on aesthetics.) Digitial game-making tools are also free online: try Kahoot or Play Factile. You can also google “gamification” and see what other game styles have been studied. Creating the game will give you great foundations, and playing the game will resolidify the concepts. There are a lot of studies that explore how “playing” with your studies help you retain information faster.

Read “Make It Stick” by Peter Currell Brown. Changed my entire approach to studying.
Started reading this last night, and I'm HOOKED. So interesting.