Help! Commute between New York/Philly, Newark/Philly vs. Hershey/Philadelphia for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

houseplantaficionado

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a current applicant trying to determine the feasibility of commuting between Philadelphia and New York, Newark, or Hershey PA for Medical School. I am a nontraditional student who is considering commuting based on my spouse.

I recognize how challenging these long commutes are and know that I will need to maintain a room or apartment at school for early mornings, exams, etc.

Are there any students out there with experience commuting an equal(-ish) distance to medical school using either NJ Transit or Amtrak or a car? What are your experiences (and how do they differ by year)? What are some tips you could provide for a student considering this commute? How did it affect you academically, in clerkships, socially, etc.

Please only shoot this possibility down with concrete reasons/constructive criticism of the plan (i.e. please don't outright say "don't do it" without providing reasons, if you can). I want to learn from others experiences while I am making choices about medical schools this year.

Thanks so much everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have not traveled between these places but just wanted to offer some advice. This might be possible during preclinical with an apartment for exams and depending on your school's curriculum/covid policy, the mandatory events. However, this will be an exhausting time commitment several times a week. The time that could be spent relaxing, living your best life, studying, or doing resume builder activities. I think depending on the curriculum it could be possible, but not fun.
As for clinical years, I don't think it would be. My roommate is an M3 and sometimes she will leave for the hospital by 5-5:30 for our 5-minute commute to get back home by 2-3 on light rotations, and 5- 6 on heavier rotations, and on OB and surgery, it was sometimes much later at night. Then when she gets home, she studies more, throws in a quick gym visit, and works on extracurriculars. She also on certain rotations has to do an occasional weekend. With step 1 being moved to pass-fail step 2 is going to be worth more, and when you are already working 8 to 12 hours days, and then studying on top of that I couldn't imagine what would be a what, 3-4-hour round trip commute most days?
If you wanted to do bench research during preclinical that would probably be off the table with hour commitments, certain clinical projects might be hard, and it would be hard to do in-person extra events, and build community with your class. You may potentially not be able to volunteer at certain events or join certain clubs or interest groups or the school's frisbee group etc. These things might not be important to you, but you do only get 1 chance to do them, and you are spending the money for the entire experience. The other reality is if you are thinking of pursuing a competitive specialty or just struggling to pass the course material (which is a real thing for a lot of students) the time taken up might be detrimental. Plus would that commute make you so tired that you couldn't really enjoy time with your spouse?
Sorry, I know this really is not an answer, but just some things to think about. Good luck with your decision, and congratulations on your successful cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
All three are not reasonable commutes. I've commuted for 1.5 hrs for a portion of undergrad, and it severely and negatively impacted my ability to do well. I could not imagine doing this during medical school. It may seem fine now, and 3 hrs/day may seem "okay" but it isn't. You will absolutely hate driving this distance every day, and your public transit options aren't really existent. The Acela between NYC and Philly gets delayed pretty often, and would cost you ~$900 for a monthly pass. Once again, once rotations start you cannot be late, which means that you will need to leave ample time to arrive early, meaning your 1.5 hour commute becomes a 2 hour commute. All of this is also assuming that you won't need some other form of public transit when you get to NYC, which you will need and that can and will add time to your trip. Driving into NYC for medical school from Philly isn't realistic either, and you will get eaten alive by tolls, traffic jams etc. Newark isn't much better because less transit options, and neither is Hershey. Rent an apartment, see spouse on weekends. No good ways about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I have not traveled between these places but just wanted to offer some advice. This might be possible during preclinical with an apartment for exams and depending on your school's curriculum/covid policy, the mandatory events. However, this will be an exhausting time commitment several times a week. The time that could be spent relaxing, living your best life, studying, or doing resume builder activities. I think depending on the curriculum it could be possible, but not fun.
As for clinical years, I don't think it would be. My roommate is an M3 and sometimes she will leave for the hospital by 5-5:30 for our 5-minute commute to get back home by 2-3 on light rotations, and 5- 6 on heavier rotations, and on OB and surgery, it was sometimes much later at night. Then when she gets home, she studies more, throws in a quick gym visit, and works on extracurriculars. She also on certain rotations has to do an occasional weekend. With step 1 being moved to pass-fail step 2 is going to be worth more, and when you are already working 8 to 12 hours days, and then studying on top of that I couldn't imagine what would be a what, 3-4-hour round trip commute most days?
If you wanted to do bench research during preclinical that would probably be off the table with hour commitments, certain clinical projects might be hard, and it would be hard to do in-person extra events, and build community with your class. You may potentially not be able to volunteer at certain events or join certain clubs or interest groups or the school's frisbee group etc. These things might not be important to you, but you do only get 1 chance to do them, and you are spending the money for the entire experience. The other reality is if you are thinking of pursuing a competitive specialty or just struggling to pass the course material (which is a real thing for a lot of students) the time taken up might be detrimental. Plus would that commute make you so tired that you couldn't really enjoy time with your spouse?
Sorry, I know this really is not an answer, but just some things to think about. Good luck with your decision, and congratulations on your successful cycle.
All three are not reasonable commutes. I've commuted for 1.5 hrs for a portion of undergrad, and it severely and negatively impacted my ability to do well. I could not imagine doing this during medical school. It may seem fine now, and 3 hrs/day may seem "okay" but it isn't. You will absolutely hate driving this distance every day, and your public transit options aren't really existent. The Acela between NYC and Philly gets delayed pretty often, and would cost you ~$900 for a monthly pass. Once again, once rotations start you cannot be late, which means that you will need to leave ample time to arrive early, meaning your 1.5 hour commute becomes a 2 hour commute. All of this is also assuming that you won't need some other form of public transit when you get to NYC, which you will need and that can and will add time to your trip. Driving into NYC for medical school from Philly isn't realistic either, and you will get eaten alive by tolls, traffic jams etc. Newark isn't much better because less transit options, and neither is Hershey. Rent an apartment, see spouse on weekends. No good ways about it.
Thank you both for your detailed replies! I really appreciate all of the details you both went into. I also commuted 1.5 hours for undergrad so I get it.

Would you both recommend living in the medical school for 4 days per week and then being home on weekends? Or does this too sound crazy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Of those commutes, to Newark will probably be easiest/most realistic based on the NJ transit express trains (though delays are not uncommon). It might be doable during pre-clinical (especially if there are recorded lectures!), but I don't think it's feasible during clerkship year. You could however live somewhere in the middle in Jersey along the NJ transit lines (Princeton, New Brunswick), and it might work well for both you and your spouse. Driving to Newark is 1.5 hours or so from Philly.

NYC is a bit less doable, because it depends on where you want to be in the city. If you need to get to Brooklyn for example, it'll add at least another 30 minutes after you arrive at Penn Station in Manhattan. Driving will be 2-2.5 hours depending on where you want to be. Parking is a disaster.

Hershey PA is the least feasible imo.

Of those commutes, to Newark will probably be easiest/most realistic based on the NJ transit express trains (though delays are not uncommon). It might be doable during pre-clinical (especially if there are recorded lectures!), but I don't think it's feasible during clerkship year. You could however live somewhere in the middle in Jersey along the NJ transit lines (Princeton, New Brunswick), and it might work well for both you and your spouse. Driving to Newark is 1.5 hours or so from Philly.

NYC is a bit less doable, because it depends on where you want to be in the city. If you need to get to Brooklyn for example, it'll add at least another 30 minutes after you arrive at Penn Station in Manhattan. Driving will be 2-2.5 hours depending on where you want to be. Parking is a disaster.

Hershey PA is the least feasible imo.
Thank you! I also assumed Philly/Newark would be the best commute. I assume that having a dorm on campus where I can stay if/when necessary and maintaining an Amtrak monthly pass will be smartest. I love trains and can study on them, so I'm hoping that this will be feasible.

I am really grateful for everyone's responses! All of your thoughts are really helping me in the decision making process and I sincerely appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

Hello everyone! I am a current applicant trying to determine the feasibility of commuting between Philadelphia and New York, Newark, or Hershey PA for Medical School. I am a nontraditional student who is considering commuting based on my spouse.

I recognize how challenging these long commutes are and know that I will need to maintain a room or apartment at school for early mornings, exams, etc.

Are there any students out there with experience commuting an equal(-ish) distance to medical school using either NJ Transit or Amtrak or a car? What are your experiences (and how do they differ by year)? What are some tips you could provide for a student considering this commute? How did it affect you academically, in clerkships, socially, etc.

Please only shoot this possibility down with concrete reasons/constructive criticism of the plan (i.e. please don't outright say "don't do it" without providing reasons, if you can). I want to learn from others experiences while I am making choices about medical schools this year.

Thanks so much everyone!
All three are unfortunately hard sells. Getting to NYC from Philly is going to be prohibitively expensive and never on time. Newark is one stop on the NJ transit from NYC, same issue. Hersey has no mass transit and is not exactly close either by car. You 'could' live somewhere halfwayish like the Trenton/New Brunswick area and hop trains there to Newark/NYC.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors