He Should Not Have Removed The Barb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

island doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There has been much discussion around here today about Steve Irwin's tragic accident. I treat victims of marine envenomations, including sting rays, on a routine basis.

According to reports, the ray that "harpooned" Mr. Irwin, impaling his chest and heart with it's barb was a large bull ray native to the Great Barrier Reef.

Mr. Irwin's fatal mistake was removing the barb while still underwater, which was reportedly caught on film. Had he left the barb in place for it to be removed in the OR, he might have survived the iniital penetrating wound to the chest. Secondary infection might likely have been a complication however.

Island "Sting Ray" Doc

Members don't see this ad.

There has been much discussion around here today about Steve Irwin's tragic accident. I treat victims of marine envenomations, including sting rays, on a routine basis.

According to reports, the ray that "harpooned" Mr. Irwin, impaling his chest and heart with it's barb was a large bull ray native to the Great Barrier Reef.

Mr. Irwin's fatal mistake was removing the barb while still underwater, which was reportedly caught on film. Had he left the barb in place for it to be removed in the OR, he might have survived the iniital penetrating wound to the chest. Secondary infection might likely have been a complication however.

Island "Sting Ray" Doc

i thought of this too, although i certainly don't see such patients routinely. if i remember correctly, the general rule is to leave penetrating objects in place until seeking medical care.

then again, i can't say that i wouldn't have instinctively removed the barb.

this guy didn't remove his "barb" after his accident....and he survived.

bikepostzg4.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
OMFG......Is that a telephone pole?

Looks more like a fence post. Talk about a woody.

this guy didn't remove his "barb" after his accident....and he survived.

After seeing this image, I don't feel so bad about making PG-13 jokes and double entendres on this forum anymore.

Thanks!

--
R
http://www.medicalcorpse.com
(Actually, I never felt bad. Best thing about being Pagan is lack of self-guilt-tripping...that and the skyclad stuff).

He ran his Harley into a fence post

I thought this was a photo of an AF doc. Certainly appears to be the typical experience for most.:D

Rob is that you???

I thought this was a photo of an AF doc. Certainly appears to be the typical experience for most.:D

Rob is that you???

Can't be. That guy is at least able to lie supine. I had to lie prone from 2001-2005, until I managed to have the huge pole removed from the distal end of my alimentary canal upon resignation of my commission.

As you can imagine, driving into work at Andrews every day was a noisy undertaking. Luckily, on the D.C. Beltway, I fit right in.

--
R
http://www.medicalcorpse.com
Still removing splinters with my personal endoscope (don't try this at home)

Still removing splinters with my personal endoscope (don't try this at home)

Unless you happen to be ambidextrous, double-jointed and a board cert'ed anesthesiologist. :smuggrin:

Sigh. It was times like those that made me wish I had been an O-6+ physician: the craniorectal inversion would have allowed me to remove the offending slivers under direct vision.

Awww, what's the fun in that.....? :smuggrin:

Mr. Irwin's fatal mistake was removing the barb while still underwater, which was reportedly caught on film. Had he left the barb in place for it to be removed in the OR, he might have survived the iniital penetrating wound to the chest.
I've read that every person with a stingray barb to the heart has died except for one. Sounds like leaving the barb in probably wouldn't have done him any favors.

It's a shame the guy died and all, but I'm hoping that the takeaway is to not invade the space of wild animals. Irwin made a career of walking on the backs of crocodiles, holding poisonous snakes by the tails, etc. This stingray apparently had a cameraman blocking the front of him while filming and had Irwin swmming close overtop. The only times I've seen divers stung by stingrays is when they've accidentally grabbed them or landed on them. These are not aggressive animals. But Irwin was an aggressive showman.

yesterday I received my Honorable Discharge Certificate in the mail from President Bush. I have been out 3 months now... I relate to this guy on the table...he should be able to get a job in the male male adult video industry.

I'm sure our surgeons here have an opinion on this.
I still say a half-cocked, "Balls to the walls mates!" field thoracotomy was his only hope. I just can't bring myself to say that on the TraumaList because I don't want Ken Mattox parked up my ass again for stating something he would vehemently disagree with.