Mole removal in army

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

american red

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I will be attending OBLC this summer in San Antonio as a psychologist in the medical service corps.

I have a number of moles on my back/face/scalp that I would like removed. I'm not a medical doctor, but I think one might say I have dysplatic nevi syndrome.

Anyways, could/ would an army dermatologist take care of this for me? Certainly, I am at risk of developing skin cancer so its not purely cosmetic in nature.

Thanks! I hope to see some of you this summer during training.

Once your on active duty you'll have health care covered.

If you think you have cancer you should 1) not seek advice on an internet forum and 2) seek appropriate medical attention.

Once your on active duty you'll have health care covered.

If you think you have cancer you should 1) not seek advice on an internet forum and 2) seek appropriate medical attention.

He wasn't seeking medical advice. He was asking if the Army Derm Doc's would see him and treat him since he's doing to OBLC...

Just sayin.

Members don't see this ad :)
He wasn't seeking medical advice. He was asking if the Army Derm Doc's would see him and treat him since he's going to OBLC...

Just sayin.

Word. Thanks :)

There is no reason to suspect I have cancer. But, based on the number of moles I have, I have an elevated risk of developing it at some point during my life.

Hypothetically speaking. If it was purely cosmetic, would army dermatology help me out? Case by case basis? Could I pay out of pocket if necessary?

Last edited:
I will be attending OBLC this summer in San Antonio as a psychologist in the medical service corps.

I have a number of moles on my back/face/scalp that I would like removed. I'm not a medical doctor, but I think one might say I have dysplatic nevi syndrome.

Anyways, could/ would an army dermatologist take care of this for me? Certainly, I am at risk of developing skin cancer so its not purely cosmetic in nature.

Thanks! I hope to see some of you this summer during training.
For whatever its worth...I had it done when I was AD Navy, at the derm clinic at Balboa a few years ago. It was more for cosmetic reasons. Your case sounds more serious, so the army derm clinic at whatever MTF youre going to should help you out.

I'm not sure how the Army Scholarship deal works but I know that my classmates that are in the AF program buy their own private insurance and are then re-imbursed by the government.

If that is the case with the Army than just go to any civilian Derm doc on your lists. Believe me, they will be more than happy to cut every mole off of you there is as that is their bread and butter income....you will only be responsible for office co-pays.

I'm not sure how the Army Scholarship deal works but I know that my classmates that are in the AF program buy their own private insurance and are then re-imbursed by the government.

If that is the case with the Army than just go to any civilian Derm doc on your lists. Believe me, they will be more than happy to cut every mole off of you there is as that is their bread and butter income....you will only be responsible for office co-pays.

this example might be the case while you're at school. When you're at OBLC or on an ADT you are Active duty and should be able to have the army docs take care of you

this example might be the case while you're at school. When you're at OBLC or on an ADT you are Active duty and should be able to have the army docs take care of you

Derm at my base doesn't do cosmetic procedures and have specifically told the rest of us to not refer them moles. Too busy seeing "real stuff" they say. So be aware it might not work out for you.

Derm at my base doesn't do cosmetic procedures and have specifically told the rest of us to not refer them moles. Too busy seeing "real stuff" they say. So be aware it might not work out for you.

This is selfish and ignorant but here it goes anyway: does it matter if I'm an officer?

Failing all that Im gonna have to have one of the buddies I make at OBC do a little field surgery :).

This is selfish and ignorant but here it goes anyway: does it matter if I'm an officer?

Everyone on this forum is an officer (or in an officer accesioning program). And, no, your quality of health care shouldn't and almost always doesn't change because you are an officer.

Everyone on this forum is an officer (or in an officer accesioning program). And, no, your quality of health care shouldn't and almost always doesn't change because you are an officer.

When watching carrier, the PBS navy reality show/documentary, an officer/pilot, who had just shown up in a clinic was ushered in and seen before an enlisted seaman, despite the fact she had been waiting for quite a while. She dismissed it as standard practice.

Is that consistent with your experience?

When watching carrier, the PBS navy reality show/documentary, an officer/pilot, who had just shown up in a clinic was ushered in and seen before an enlisted seaman, despite the fact she had been waiting for quite a while. She dismissed it as standard practice.

Not in any clinic with which I have ever been associated. I think he went to the head of the line because there was a camera crew.

No, with a few caveats. The big whig department heads went first. They were the brass. But life on a ship DOES NOT equal life on a clinic. A clinic on a carrier does not equal the norm for clinics.

As far as consults, labs, etc it was all first come first serve.