Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surggal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the itinerary for Friday at Harvard? Should we dress in suits and then wear them to the dinner too? Are there interviews on Friday in addition to Saturday? If anyone has any information, please share.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

With all due respect, is there any real reason for this post other than to remind everyone that you got an interview at Harvard?

Read the invitation. It will answer most of your questions.

mcindoe said:
With all due respect, is there any real reason for this post other than to remind everyone that you got an interview at Harvard?

Read the invitation. It will answer most of your questions.

Yes, there is a REAL reason for my post. AFTER having read the invitation e-mail, I didn't, and still do not know the answer.

I was hoping that a Harvard medical student might be able to answer my questions.

The web site says: "Individual interview sessions between applicants and the faculty may begin on Friday afternoon, with additional interviews being scheduled throughout the day on Saturday."

The invitation says that we will have interviews on Saturday, but does not mention any interviews on Friday.

Certainly other applicants have posted questions they have before interviews, and I see no reason for your accusatory response. Furthermore, I don't see how my question would be "reminding" anyone about the fact that I was invited for an interview, as I have not made mention of it before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pick up the phone and give the department secretary a buzz. Just tell her you want to make sure to pack enough stuff. Don't even have to identify yourself. Problem solved.

surggal said:
Yes, there is a REAL reason for my post. AFTER having read the invitation e-mail, I didn't, and still do not know the answer.

I was hoping that a Harvard medical student might be able to answer my questions.

The web site says: "Individual interview sessions between applicants and the faculty may begin on Friday afternoon, with additional interviews being scheduled throughout the day on Saturday."

The invitation says that we will have interviews on Saturday, but does not mention any interviews on Friday.

Certainly other applicants have posted questions they have before interviews, and I see no reason for your accusatory response. Furthermore, I don't see how my question would be "reminding" anyone about the fact that I was invited for an interview, as I have not made mention of it before.

Surggal, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, and I'm sorry if I pissed you off. But your questions are something that, as the poster above mentioned, that can easily be answered by calling the secretary. Maybe it's just me, but the post comes across a gratuitous dropping of the H-bomb.

Anyway, from the email:

Friday: orientation at 3:30pm, followed by tours of Mass General, the labs, Shriner's burn institute, then dinner is at 6pm. (don't know where they'd squeeze in any interviews)

Saturday: "Interviews will be held Saturday, December 11th at the B&W's Hospital" and "plan on being present for the entire day".

I'm not trying to be insulting, but I think the email is pretty clear. And whether or not there are "official" interviews on Friday shouldn't make a difference--you're going to be under the microscope the entire time.

As for the suit question, the Harvard Club has a dress code, so don't worry about feeling over-dressed at dinner.

Can anyone give me a list of the plastic programs that are "straight" without having to do a gen surgery, 5year program. I am an FMG (St. George's University) who is interested in applying to a program like this.

Are my chances slim since I am an FMG (Born in the U.S. attending a carribean med school)??

How about getting into a plastics program after a 5 year general surgery residency and then a fellowship?

Thanks