Harvard Plastic Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KyleEberlin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a PGY-3 in the Harvard Integrated Program and would be happy to answer questions about the pre-interview dinner, interview format, or any other generic questions about the program itself (from a resident's perspective).

I offer this simply to help you gather information as you begin the hectic interview process - which I remember very distinctly.

Best of luck to everyone in the interview process; contact me at [email protected] if I can be of assistance.

Kyle Eberlin

Members don't see this ad.

While I'm not yet anywhere near the interview process for any medical residency I have a few questions that I am sure others must be thinking/have as well.

If a student has outstanding medical school record, i.e. AOA, step scores etc. does his medical school reputation rank much? I mean if I come from a state med school is harvard med school plastics out of reach for me?

While I'm not yet anywhere near the interview process for any medical residency I have a few questions that I am sure others must be thinking/have as well.

If a student has outstanding medical school record, i.e. AOA, step scores etc. does his medical school reputation rank much? I mean if I come from a state med school is harvard med school plastics out of reach for me?

Having just gone through the process last year and coming from a state school I can say yes it absolutely does. I did not get interviews from any of the Ivy league schools but had all of the above things you stated. Harvard and Hopkins both accepted only Harvard and Hopkins students last year for Plastics if that tells you anythings.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Having just gone through the process last year and coming from a state school I can say yes it absolutely does. I did not get interviews from any of the Ivy league schools but had all of the above things you stated. Harvard and Hopkins both accepted only Harvard and Hopkins students last year for Plastics if that tells you anythings.....

thats depressing. whats the big deal? I mean i see orthopaeidc surgery more open minded with all sorts of students being accepted to harvard/stanford/HSS/..certainly this is a competitive residency-tho not as competitive obviously as plastics, but even so why the discrimination?

thats depressing. whats the big deal? I mean i see orthopaeidc surgery more open minded with all sorts of students being accepted to harvard/stanford/HSS/..certainly this is a competitive residency-tho not as competitive obviously as plastics, but even so why the discrimination?

Accept it. Move on. Harvard and Hopkins (both good programs, but by no means the best) tend to favor applicants from Harvard and Hopkins. That's just how it is.

I didn't go to Harvard for medical school and still matched into the program - it's not easy, but can be done with a lot of hard work and some luck.

Actually neither of the Hopkins people last year were from Hopkins.

Just curious, what are the top 5, top 10 and top 20 PRS program in the country?
Accept it. Move on. Harvard and Hopkins (both good programs, but by no means the best) tend to favor applicants from Harvard and Hopkins. That's just how it is.

Just curious, what are the top 5, top 10 and top 20 PRS program in the country?

It's just like medical schools where nobody agrees, except without the us news rankings as a starting point to argue over. Nobody even knows what they're arguing about - top faculty, top training (two TOTALLY different lists), top what?

H and H are definitely in the top 10 average "most desired" programs for applicants currently, maybe even the top 5 now that they've both dropped year(s) of general surgery. But "best program" depends on the person for everything from location to learning style.

Last edited: